• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help dresser 530 trans issue

Farmingdodge

I have a picture of the pump but can't seem to figure out how to post it. It has a suction on one side pump and pressure on the other side.Then the other section is mounted on the nose of the pump which has a suction and pressure . It has 2 orings there I suspect may be problem they are hard as a rock thinking about changing those and remounting pump see if it fixes it .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a picture of the pump but can't seem to figure out how to post it.

I'll try to explain that much. First save the picture to some place easy to find it on your computer, I use Desktop.

At the top of the box where you enter the text for your message there is a row of icons at the top the second from the right, circled in red here:
picture post.png

Click on that icon and a box should open up at the top of that there are two tabs. one says "from computer" the other "from url" click on the "from computer" tab. New box should show up at the bottom of that one is a box "Select Files" click on that and it will take you to what I call "file manager" on you computer where you can locate your file with the picture. Click on the file name and it should show up in the box(the name, not the picture itself). Now at the bottom of the box it should say "Upload Files" click on that. Now in the text box where you were typing the message you wanted to attach a picture to you should see something that looks like "{attach]192818[/attach**" that is you picture you will not actually see it till you click on the "post quick reply" to post the message. Sounds very complicated but do it a few times and it is very fast and easy.

Just a note, when I first tried to post this It came through a little off as when I used the [ at the start and then the ] at the end of the description of what you see the forum got confused so I changed them to ** and **. I'll see if this works better.

Well that did not work either but hope it still makes sense!

Last edited:

Farmingdodge

An exploded view of charge pump.
View attachment 148877I think oil seal ( 2 on drawing ) is problem, I know it is on my 530, oil a little heavy in transmission and first start on a cold day it sucks air, fine when oil warmed up or a warm day.
Can be checked by pulling pump and packing around seal and shaft with heavy grease to provide temporary seal then run to see if improved.
Pretty sure your right the seal is broke loose from metal of the seal. I poured oil on end of shaft and it leaked through where can I source this seal at?

kshansen

Occupation
Hard to tell from the parts break-down, is this a "normal" lip type oil seal? Like a wheel seal in a car rear axle? If it is any good bearing supply house could probably match it up. Just need to know the shaft diameter, bore in housing diameter and seal width.

Any numbers actually on the seal?

How about a picture of the seal?

As for the "O" rings any good heavy equipment dealer, construction, large trucks or farm equipment, should be able to match them up or just look in local phone book yellow pages for a place that works on hydraulics. My first two choices would be local Komatsu or Cat dealers.

Farmingdodge

Hard to tell from the parts break-down, is this a "normal" lip type oil seal? Like a wheel seal in a car rear axle? If it is any good bearing supply house could probably match it up. Just need to know the shaft diameter, bore in housing diameter and seal width.

Any numbers actually on the seal?

How about a picture of the seal?

As for the "O" rings any good heavy equipment dealer, construction, large trucks or farm equipment, should be able to match them up or just look in local phone book yellow pages for a place that works on hydraulics. My first two choices would be local Komatsu or Cat dealers.

No it's not a lip type seal. It's more solid throughout. No numbers on it I've got it popped out headed to the hydraulic pump shop down the road hopefully they can fix me up.

Farmingdodge

Ok so I got it fixed . It was the seal everyone was talking about. This should help anyone else who's having the same problem the pump shaft seal is a CR8624 cost me $6 at a hydraulic pump shop. My side plates were wore a little but I figured it should hold up for a good bit longer. Thank you guys for all the help diagrams and explanations. I will be back I'm sure

Patty Morr

Sorry to revive this thread. Looking for a Little help on the transmission's Electrical Schematic for a Dresser 530 from 1987, seems like a Mc Gyver was trying to fix a selenoid problem and had change/suspend sensors and wires. I would love to have the machine on its original electrical state to start troubleshooting for mechanical if any. As for now 530 is not moving at all niether forward either reverse. Thanks in advance for any info.

Themizeguys

Hey guys I have a customer that bought a 1979 dresser 550 rubber tire wheel loader. It's been sitting for 20 years. It has multiple issues due to years of neglect and sitting in the elements. I cleaned and drained the entire fuel system and currently have it started and running. No problem there. But when I try and move it, it will barley try to move and sounds and feels like a transmission that's slipping in a car. I've looked all over it and don't know much about it. Been trying to find more information and manuals for it. I've read multiple forums and have an idea as far as the pick up screens being clogged up. I filled it up with hydraulic oil in the huge reservoir on top in the center. Please any help or ideas and tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

kshansen

Occupation
Hey guys I have a customer that bought a 1979 dresser 550 rubber tire wheel loader.
First thing I would do is watch the driveshaft from the converter to the transmission. With engine running and in neutral it should be spinning pretty good. Then as soon as you shift transmission into gear it should stop pretty fast. This is assuming you are not holding the brakes on as if you hit the left brake peddle the transmission will go in to neutral and shaft will spin.

I'm assuming you have checked the oil level in the transmission. Been many years since I was near one but seems there is either a dipstick in the filler pipe to the left of the transmission or possible a sight gauge on the front side of the transmission case.

Just curious does this 550 have a V-8 IH engine or maybe a Cummins inline six? Six or more years ago I probably could have laid hands on a manual at the shop before I retired. Best I could find online is this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163104636365?hash=item25f9cb3dcd:g:kBkAAOSw30JbKCWC&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsJRDuebRnuNpUfKd+KRzmvaj3FPEZoctZsRz1f4KlKBxA74qf7XH1LHCLVzKbi7Oo/GB+VLer1RCSHE5DPG9x6HxcXGX+EDCGYecSKKpD3eBBo5/uD7GWmeBHezY0z2S83OuUmtafZcgSxonyNET7LWlPuYevcgsS+yXxYsnT/xDBFNYyD+rNrhwyKh5NU7orjufh+ow9tORce+Hnmjdrw9ziZOnNgNRwfrClujJTDDL|tkp:Bk9SR6bPj-73YA

Also might be best if you were to start a new thread with the model number and any other information so as to not get lost in this thread about a 530 .