• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help dresser 530 trans issue

Farmingdodge

I have a dresser 530. It's just now started to not want to move forward or reverse .the top driveshaft I assume is the input for trans is not turning just creeps and you can stop it with your hand I cleaned both suction screens and changed filter in the can. Still same problem. You can fool with it and finally get it to go and when it starts moving as long as you are using it it's fine but if you stop for any amount of time it won't move again. I checked all hoses for sucking air all look good. I broke the hose loose where it attaches to the trans on top and not much fluid comes out no pressure at all. I also took loose on the square block on bellhousing and it blew air out and foamy oil continuously but again didn't seem have any pressure behind it . This is the line coming from the filter. Any ideas? Charge pump/torque converter?

Farmingdodge

Any ideas Where it could get in? It has to enter system on the intake/suction side I'm assuming . Only place I've not checked is the front of the pump

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Kind of sounds like there is no torque converter charge pressure. Torque converter is mounted on the back of the engine. Drive line comes out of it and goes to the input of the transmission. It should spin free when the transmission is out of gear. It should stop turning when the transmission is in gear. You need to check pump pressures that feed the transmission to be able to go any further in troubleshooting.

Farmingdodge

Yes the driveline coming out of the tc to the input of transmission is not turning when in neutral. I have to find some fitting to check pressure but I know there's none there I cracked the line goin to the trans and it just trickles out foamy oil and blows burst of air .the line going to the torque converter does the same thing

Last edited:

Farmingdodge

Correct me if I'm wrong but the charge pump is located directly under the driveshaft coming out of the torque converter right ? It has two suction hoses coming from bottom of trans and two pressure hoses one going to top of transmission and one going to the filter then to the torque converter.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The foaming oil is the problem. While you can spend time checking pressures to me that is a waste of time as you know the pressure is bad.

Need to find where the air is getting in the system.

First thing would be low oil level in transmission. That should be a simple check with sight gauge or maybe dipstick.

Next would be a cracked suction hose between the pump and the transmission, if crack was above the level of the oil in transmission you would not see oil leaking out. If the suction hoses are clean and easy to get to a crude way to test for a suction leak could be a simple as wrapping nice and tight with good old Duct Tape. This is only a test and NOT a repair so don't think I'm suggesting that!

Next thing I might want to do is drain oil out of transmission and remove suction lines as I'm assuming from all the bigger Dresser/Houghs I've dealt with there more than likely screens on the inside of the case where the suction hose connect. Plugged screen could be the problem.

Probably the last thing on my list would be to remove and disassemble the pump. I tend to lean towards checking the low cost things first working up to the big ticket items.

Farmingdodge

Oil level is good I already put new oil in it and cleaned the screens which were not bad at all. is a rebuild kit available for this pump only numbers I can find are 43997-15 and j86F under that. I taped the lines yesterday thinking along same line as you and still same thing I removed pump this morning

John C.

Occupation
You need a book or someone to identify what the parts are on your machine. The were no test fittings installed on those machines from the factory. There were only pipe plugs or o ring plugs that you removed and installed the test fittings in. Those machines generally had at least four pumps installed. A transmission pump, main hydraulic pump, pilot pump and a switch pump that supplied steering first and then shifted to main hydraulic flow once steering was satisfied. From your posts you apparently don't know what you have.

Some photos of the area where the pumps are mounted would be helpful.

Farmingdodge

I see 3 pumps ones hydraulics one steering and the one I removed is the transmission pump. That's the problem I can't find any info about the machine or a service/shop manual. That's why I'm posting here for help without the info I'm making mechanical guesses . I can get photos later today

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looking at the picture bwmwaima posted.

Would I be right to think that the two pumps marked #1 are really one two section pump?

Line #3 goes to one pump then the output #5 goes to what appears to be a valve of some kind of the lube system. If so I don't think that would be your problem right now.

Line #2 to the other pump(section) would be the one I would check very close for any cracks causing a suction leak. If that looks perfect I would then be looking very close at that pump(section) for bad seals, worn parts and such. I'd look very close at the gears, shaft and side plates for the gears.

If you could post a picture of the pump assembled or disassembled might give a little better idea of what it is.

Have not worked on a Dresser in years but they are now part of Komatsu so I would be making a call monday to the nearest dealer to you to see about parts availability.

One more thing I was thinking about, does the transmission have a breather on it that could be plugged? This could cause a problem similar to this.

One more question you said you had changed the oil and had the strainers out, was the problem there before this was done?

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
One pump is for main pressure while the other is the scavenge pump from the bottom of the converter and provides lube pressure to the transmission bearings. The photo will help a lot in bringing back some memories.

bwmwaima

An exploded view of charge pump.
image.jpgI think oil seal ( 2 on drawing ) is problem, I know it is on my 530, oil a little heavy in transmission and first start on a cold day it sucks air, fine when oil warmed up or a warm day.
Can be checked by pulling pump and packing around seal and shaft with heavy grease to provide temporary seal then run to see if improved.

Farmingdodge

Looking at the picture bwmwaima posted.

Would I be right to think that the two pumps marked #1 are really one two section pump?

Line #3 goes to one pump then the output #5 goes to what appears to be a valve of some kind of the lube system. If so I don't think that would be your problem right now.

Line #2 to the other pump(section) would be the one I would check very close for any cracks causing a suction leak. If that looks perfect I would then be looking very close at that pump(section) for bad seals, worn parts and such. I'd look very close at the gears, shaft and side plates for the gears.

If you could post a picture of the pump assembled or disassembled might give a little better idea of what it is.

Have not worked on a Dresser in years but they are now part of Komatsu so I would be making a call monday to the nearest dealer to you to see about parts availability.

One more thing I was thinking about, does the transmission have a breather on it that could be plugged? This could cause a problem similar to this.

One more question you said you had changed the oil and had the strainers out, was the problem there before this was done?

Yes the problem was there before I changed oil and pulled the strainers . I thought a clogged screen would do it but they looked fine. You are correct about the pump it is a single pump but two sections. The trans does have a breather I will check that next . I have not disassembled pump yet trying to find out the availability of parts first. So I need call komatsu dealer ?