• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy Equipment Pricing Per hour

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
This is why I'm broke in Arkansas

This is what I charge "On The Hub"

Case CX210 Excavator $115.00 Hr Wanting to go to $125
I just sold this machine and the guy that bought it is charging $100.00 Hr. Go figure. I'm replacing it with a CX 160 and will be looking at $90.00 to $95.00 per hour with that machine.
Caterpiller D4H LGP 105 H.P. $75.00 Hr
Hew Holland Backhoe 555E 4X4 $65.00 Hr
Caterpillar D6C 10K I don't even try to run it. I'm going to say $75.00 per hour is about all I could get if I did.

Someguy

I can never figure out how the backhoe people make money.

The operator costs $25-$30/hour fully loaded for anyone good. Fuel and oil will cost $15/hr if its working. At $65/hr, that leaves $20-$25 for overhead, maintenance, depreciation, etc.

My numbers must be wrong. What am I missing ?

roddyo

Occupation
Making Money in Arkansas

The operator costs $25-$30/hour fully loaded for anyone good. Fuel and oil will cost $15/hr if its working. At $65/hr, that leaves $20-$25 for overhead, maintenance, depreciation, etc.

Down here most people run their equipment themselves and $25.00 an hour is a pretty big wage. If you want to hire someone it's closer to $15.00 an hour for a backhoe or dozer and $25.00 an hour for an excavator.

This is the way my deal works, I buy a real good piece of equipment and run it for a little while then sell it. I also do my own mechanic work. The only money I try to spend is fuel and parts.

An example. I bought a Case CX 210 Excavator back in Feb. I ran it a little over 300 hours and a friend needed to buy one. I told him $5000.00 over what was owed on it. He paid all my intrest and everything. I stuck about $30,000.00 in my pocket on one machine in a little over 6 months. I didn't think that was to bad for a one and a half man operation. My breakdowns on that machine was a Hyd. Hose and a Fan Belt.:D By the way my friend is happy because he saved over $10,000.00 compared to everything else he could find, he got a better machine, and got to run it on a real job before he bought it. This is all according to him.

Before everyone tells me how stupid I am for working here I know I can go to Il. and work on the pipleline and make $40.00 an hour base, + $2.00 an hour savings, +$5.00 an hour annuity, plus benifits and on overtime I could get paid almost what I'm charging. The Paul Harvey is: I quit up there 10 years go and hope I never have to go back.:D

Someguy

Down here most people run their equipment themselves and $25.00 an hour is a pretty big wage.

Then I wouldn't want to live down there. $25/hour x 2000 hours per year is $50K. I desire to make more than that.

If you want to hire someone it's closer to $15.00 an hour for a backhoe or dozer and $25.00 an hour for an excavator.

Plus overhead. Plus insurance. Plus benefits and healthcare. Plus, plus, plus.

This is the way my deal works, I buy a real good piece of equipment and run it for a little while then sell it. I also do my own mechanic work. The only money I try to spend is fuel and parts.

You aren't counting your time as worth anything.

An example. I bought a Case CX 210 Excavator back in Feb. I ran it a little over 300 hours and a friend needed to buy one. I told him $5000.00 over what was owed on it. He paid all my intrest and everything. I stuck about $30,000.00 in my pocket on one machine in a little over 6 months. I didn't think that was to bad for a one and a half man operation. My breakdowns on that machine was a Hyd. Hose and a Fan Belt.:D By the way my friend is happy because he saved over $10,000.00 compared to everything else he could find, he got a better machine, and got to run it on a real job before he bought it.

You need to be an equipment salesman. If you made $5K on the machine after running it for 300 hours and your friend paid $10K under market price, you could have made $20K just reselling the machine.

I think a lot of backhoe people are like you in that its a form of a job instead of a business that pays them over and above what they would make working for someone else.

roddyo

Occupation
This is What I'm Compeating Against

Then I wouldn't want to live down there. $25/hour x 2000 hours per year is $50K. I desire to make more than that.

Down here $50,000.00 a year is a pretty good living.

Plus overhead. Plus insurance. Plus benefits and healthcare. Plus, plus, plus.

About the only benefit is a pat on the back for a job well done.

You aren't counting your time as worth anything.

I don't know how you figure that? I quit a Job making $2,000.00 a week 10 years ago to do this. I'm in this deal to make money. I think I stick as much money in my pocket as most for the work I do.

You need to be an equipment salesman. If you made $5K on the machine after running it for 300 hours and your friend paid $10K under market price, you could have made $20K just reselling the machine.

Go to my web site and see if the excavators on there isn't at least $10,000.00 cheaper than on a lot. The reason the D4H is close to retail is it's a real good dozer and I want to use it till April because of the LGP pads. I buy a lot of equipment for other people so I guess I know a little about it.:D

I think a lot of backhoe people are like you in that its a form of a job instead of a business that pays them over and above what they would make working for someone else.

I really don't get where you think this is a job instead of a business. If this was a job I would have an excavator and a dozer. I got a lot more iron than that. You are right on the backhoe people down here though. This is the way it is down here. Almost everyone is either a family deal, works by themselves of has 1 employee. I don't like it but that's the way it is. I don't complain about it, I just get in there and do it.:D If you need to run new equipment because you can't work on it or want to ride around in a $45,000.00 pickup windshield contracting you don't need to move to Pocahontas, Arkansas.

Last edited:

roddyo

Occupation
Operator and First Born Included

Yes that's with an operator. The excavator and dozer prices are for mostly ag work. The backhoe is everything, ag work and housing.

Someguy

I really don't get where you think this is a job instead of a business.

For me, its a business if it makes money without me, at least for a while and if it earns me more money than what I would make if I worked for someone else. If it doesn't do those two things, I don't want it.

You are right on the backhoe people down here though. This is the way it is down here. Almost everyone is either a family deal, works by themselves of has 1 employee. I don't like it but that's the way it is.

There are no real barriers to entry in that segment, especially for the hourly hire work. Bobcat work is often the same way. Its a different situation when it comes to bidding jobs, but there is still a lot of competition for backhoes.

I wonder how this segment is fairing with the housing slowdown ?

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student

The way you do it, I don't know either!

Ok, here operators get paid R25-35 on excavators, FELs and TLBs. It is around R8.20/litre or more for diesel, and if you work on around 6-8 litres per hour, is around R50 or more per hour, and the hirers charge around between R335 and R391 per hour, out of that, they get the rest, around 200 Rand or more for maintenance, overheads, etc. (for excavators)

The operator makes around R225 R315 per day, which is enough for Taxi fares, food for the day, clothing for the month, etc.(just trying to put it in to perspective there.)

I think it is one of the higher paying building/construction skills in SA.

Last edited:

XCAV8R

Occupation
Owner of McDaniel Excavating
I do rsidential work in Chatt, TN I've been in business 6yrs only went up once when diesel hit the rafters:
currently getting
$80/hr on the backhoe 3hr min.
$80/hr on D3 size dozer 3hr min
$75/hr on mini-x with thumb 3hr min
$60/hr on skidloader 3hr min
$60/hr tandem dump truck 3hr min
I know some guys with 120 size x's that get around $120/hr 4hr min.'s
Hope this helps or helps me charge more. :D

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
A 20 odd ton excavator runs from about e35/36per hour, diesel supplied by main contractor otherwise add e10/ hr ,hammers add e20 or 50% of machine hire rate /hr, sometimes the main contractor pay by weight ie e1.50/ ton diesel supplied.
Operator agreed rates from 1/01/08 are
grade A E18.04
grade b E16.93
grade c E16.37
grade d E14.88

grade A are crane operators,dozer/scraper operators ,heavy excavators >40t certified with min of 4yrs exp
grade B are medium plant operators (skilled operative)
grade C are semi skilled operative (light plant) or G O over 20 with a min of 2yrs site expierience
Grade D basic operative over 18yrs capable of carrying general labouring and operation of hand/small plant

rino1494

My 385 + 2 70 ton rock trucks billed out for $1000/h on a golf course contract I did last year.

Same contract the D11N was billing out for 400/h dozing and $450/h ripping.

You need a motor for that D11 ??

We starting doing a total rebuild on a 3508 out of a 777 for a local coal company. They ran out of money and never came to pick up the rest of the motor. I still have the block with crank and camshafts that just had $8,000 in machine work. I also still have the heads and torque converter. Been sitting in our garage for 4 yrs now.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Hey everyone im new here to this forum... I just wanted to know if some of you from various locations could give me a example of what you all charge per hour for different pieces of equipment usage please and tell me where youre located. I am in Richmond, Va and these are the prices I use below but I mostly just bid the whole job price rather than an hourly rate.

Backhoe $250.00 per hour
Dozer $500.00 per hour
Tractor $110.00 per hour
Bobcat with tracks $ 100.00 per hour
Bobcat w/out tracks $ 80.00 per hour
Mini Excavator $150.00 per hour

That is the equipment I have now I wondered if anyone could give me a price on what it is for a Motor grader per hour or a Large excavator with Thumb per hour. :beatsme

I am a union mason contractor on Long Island and I doubt anyone gets those rates with an operaters in Local 138 OE costing over 90 per hour. 250 & 500 look real good if you can get it. Bet I could get a backhoe non-union for 750 per day.:pointhead