1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

heavy equipment accidents

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by Spangles, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Spangles

Spangles Well-Known Member

I had no idea there's so many in this day and age....

Truely shocked.

Spangles

2. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Every day there are new ones. Every day some family ends up hurting or losing loved ones.

3. oldtanker

oldtanker Senior Member

Ret
    Note: Looks like most of accidents took place in countries that were part of the former Soviet Union including Russia, Asia including India and maybe South America.

Consider just how many job sites there are around your local area. Now think of how many are active just in the US. Now expand that to the entire world. Many of those job sites are in countries with few if any safety regulations nor agencies to enforce them. Russia, China, most of Asia including India, the Middle East, Africa and South America have terrible track records. Most often no one is held accountable unless someone "important" is killed or injured or there is mass causalities. They often use substandard safety equipment if they use any at all. The equipment may be in poor shape. Operator training is most likely nonexistent. The only people who care are the families of those injured or killed. No fines levied, no one goes to jail, they just hire someone else.

Most of western Europe, Canada, the US and Australia have pretty tuff safety regulations/laws for work place safety.

Rick

Camshawn and Delmer like this.
  4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

And to add to that list of reasons, a lot of those places are JUST NOW being mechanized, there isn't the history of growing up running a tractor, hoe, dozer, then crane or whatever. Instead, it's "you can drive a truck, a loader's not much different"

5. ol'stonebreaker

ol'stonebreaker Well-Known Member

retired
    A whole lot of ignorance with some stupid thrown in!! Loading/unloading tracked eqpt. on an icy steel deck is just asking for disaster
    Mike

6. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

It's amazing how so much is on video. Not everything in that video is an accident but sure some stupid people. The last one with the long reach excavator, I was expecting the guy half way out the door to fall in the hole.

7. Spangles

That long reach excavator made me cringe so much. I'd hate to imagine what would happen if the edge gave way...

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    We had licensed crane operator master riggers screw up MAJOR league Luckily they caught the issues before a bad lift. They were raising a 50 ton squirt boom truck crane on straps, three times they began the lift and the strapping cut, they almost lost it twice. Finally our weld shop built softeners of steel plates and pipe so the straps would not pull to a hard 90 degree on a edge.

That was Just 9 years back.

Same time we hire Mammoet to do our Steam Generator exchanges, they set up a crane on top of our internal reactor building crane, first try the cabling dropped to the floor. The lift mechanism used a jacking mechanism that locked, lifted, relocked and dropped to re-bite. They had connected the hydraulic drive hoses backward. could have had 480,000 lbs hanging on it.

9. icestationzebra

icestationzebra Senior Member

I've seen a brand new nylon strap break by sliding along a wet painted 4x6 tube. Looked like someone cut it with a knife. Really opened my eyes. They are very handy and I still use them, but I will never trust them as much as chains or cable. ISZ

10. pridesculling

pridesculling New Member

Accident really happens beyond our control and we should be careful and stay focus most of the time.

11. Spangles

Beyound our control? hmm I tend to think when one is careless or does not think things through first before putting themselves at risk or have not been taught any health and safety for heavy equipments.

I've started to notice a pattern in those videos...the people or person recording the video has got a clue somehow that something bad is very likely to happen. They are absolute scum to not stop or warn the operator of the danger/risks

12. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Field Service Tech
    I agree. Almost everything can be prevented if people take the time to do it right and stay focused on the task. When we get rushed, that seems to be when things start to go sideways.

old-iron-habit likes this.