• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
All the best and I am sure no problem. You are to hard on your self.

Thanks Hank. A lot of the challenges during these builds I really look forward to. Trying to figure out how to make a difficult part may keep me awake at night from time to time but that's what keeps me motivated. Painting just so happens to be the one thing that everyone notices first and I don't do it enough to get good at it. It can make hundreds of hours worth of work look amazing or like a mess. I started painting some of the stuff today and I haven't thrown anything at the wall just yet!

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Just don't throw the paint gun.....
I threw my paint gun full of black laquer when I first painted my 68 Mustang in the 80's.It dripped paint out the vent all over the car and I flung it out of the garage with the hose attached.It flew about 25 feet and smashed right against my hose and blew apart..
Now....my house was white vinyl sideing..Spent more fricken time cleaning my house than it would have taken me to sand the car...Plus I ruined my paint gun...
Throwing stuff has never worked out well for me...
I have a speed bag mounted in my shop for such moments now....
Today is actually one of those days but I am to tired...

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi, Reg all I can can say is take your time, paint is the one thing you can't rush. I know about the throwing stuff too, a few of my early truck models became airplanes, never a good thing , always leads to more work.
Thanks Doug.

RCP57

Occupation
Well I almost had a throw it on the ground and stomp it moment today but I'm too far into this to do that. I did however say a few really bad words beginning with f's and c's but I walked away and came back a few minutes later. Anyway, this problem is taken care of so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Cab, hood, box and some small parts are painted. Tomorrow I'll continue along and hopefully by the weekend all of the parts will have paint on them...

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi, best to always walk away, find something else to smash. It wasn't until I watch others 'having a moment' that I realized how stupid you look it. Worked with a guy in bush that did nothing but cost and hurt himself.
Tighten chains on loader tires, the chain tightener slipped off, BOOM into cab almost through window on other side, then had problems with production on other block, got bad news over radio, freaked out, threw radio mike out window, (yes smashed window), didn't think about coiled cord, mike came back and hit him in face, got even with it, smashed on steering wheel, log truck drivers spent rest of day searching for him, on one of the multiple landings we had. Then first cabinet making job, boss would throw clamps when something went wrong, people were surprised I had guts to tell him how stupid he looked, no clamps came my way, found out later he was a little scared of me, wished I known that sooner! Doug.

RCP57

Occupation
Haha. I have zero patience for a lot of things in life but with this they are almost endless. I get frustrated, upset and disappointed for sure but only say f&@$ really loud. A couple of years back I was building a very expensive post side end dump trailer for a customer. I was milling some notches in the rounded front panel when the end mill caught an edge and destroyed the hand formed piece. I said the f word loud enough that my wife came running from the other side of the yard into the shop thinking I was hurt. I was thankful that she cared enough to come running to my rescue but when she found out I was only emotionally scarred, I got in trouble for scaring her.lol

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I have been there, had the wife come running a few times....usually ended with me in **** for scaring her.
Cam