• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have to re deck a low boy

Mobilewrench

I had to get a loaded dead dump truck on a low boy this afternoon. With the lack of steering I couldn't keep it on the rails and ended up turning about 25% of the decking into kindling.
I don't think that I had this forum to ask last time I had to re deck an equipment trailer. I am a little curious about what the community thinks is the best wood for this. Generally, because I am in Hawaii, I prefer ohia. Or silver oak, but, I have had about 3 helpers that have been taken out by silver oak sensitivity or allergy. One of those was one of my sons.

I have a friend that swears red gum eucalyptus is the best locally available.

I have never tried it, but think I might give it a go.

What do you guys prefer?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I prefer old-growth Alaskan Yellow Cedar. But getting Yellow Cedar on the BI would be like me trying to get red gum eucalyptus in Alaska.

There are some beautiful eucalyptus with the crazy rainbow bark, along the road, driving through Kaloko.

skyking1

I use import wood so you can look for it there.
Apitong is some tough stuff.
This is who I got it from, they ship to Hawaii.
https://www.trailerdecking.com/Hawaii.html
Left to right, boards treated with their fancy oil, natural boards, and the rotten oak I was replacing.
IMG-20200717-094045.jpg

I put it on the front deck of the 20 ton also. It is workable but tougher than oak, and for sure more rot resistant.
PXL_20201203_213740392.jpg

Last edited: