• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harley Rake leaking chain oil

f311fr1

Last winter I replaced the bearings and seals on my Harley rake. After about 40 hours of use this season it is pouring gear oil out of the bottom of of the chain box between the roller and chain box. Is there a secret to keeping the chain box sealed up other that the stock parts (o ring)? Other than this issue it works as it should. To my way of thinking it would be a great place for an HTD belt drive.View attachment Harley Rake.pdf

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I didn't have any trouble with my Harley Rake until I bent the cover on a job, I rubbed it against a tree stump. I had to order a new seal and cover plate, hasn't leaked since. Check to see if you have damage to the plate, the slightest tweak will cause it to leak.

dirt4fun

Occupation
fireman
I run "00" combine grease in my chain box on the Harley rake , had leakage also this stopped it and was recommended by the manufacture

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry for taking this way off topic but when I saw the words "Harley" and "oil Leak" in the title I thought I was in one of my other forums!:D