• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hard facing electrodes or wire

walkerv

I have to do some Hardfacing on my morbark grinder so I called them and asked what they use on this particular area they told me Stoody 35 by esab cool but know one around me has it unless i order it in or order it online , Lincoln products are easiest to get i think unless i go with the internet. I can run normal electrodes as long as they are not ac my welder is dc only or i can run .045 or 1/16 flux core, dual shield or solid wire thru my suitcase , does any know what the lincoln equivalent would be to compare with the stoody 35 ? air gas cant tell me when they did call me back they told me 71m outershield , i told them that is not hardfacing Im not sure they know what hardfacing is .

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I think if you want anything you have to get it on line these days. I don't think anybody has anything nice to say about Airgas local locations.

walkerv

I think if you want anything you have to get it on line these days. I don't think anybody has anything nice to say about Airgas local locations.
local location no, they suck i am probably gonna have to call the sales lady to get an answer she is real nice and very helpfull. which is why i posted this question on here , or contact lincoln directly .If i cant get any good info on here internet looking will be going on this weekend when i have time to do so

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Just to change the subject "just a little"..
Has anyone noticed ALL the products they're "horing-out" on all the tv shows??!!!
Garage rehab w/ Richard Rawlings.. at the "big reveal" ..all the Lincoln Welders they "give" away..
& ON ANY HP TV program. Power Block TV.. they run a segment about how ALL the Lincoln welders & equip ARE THE BEST..
I DID SEE ONE that I thought was neat.. it was an "automatic" welder.. you just turn it on & it somehow read what you were welding & adjusted itself??.. Yea, right..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I use Miller products not because of the name(HA!) but reliability. Our local discount centers have tons of Lincolns, where if you look at the name plate Made In China or somewhere well south of the US, I think one I looked at was Brazil. I still frequent a welding supply in Columbia MO where I have bought three welders over the years, were not cheap but still working and work well they also supply all my wire(Handle ESAB), most of my electrodes come from my steel supplier as they are around 30% cheaper and volume distribute while good quality.

Tags

IMG_2443.JPG Here's some stuff I've had for a few years… I've used it on some excavator buckets and had pretty good luck with it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got to be careful using that hard facing. Releases hexavalent chromium, would need to be well ventilated outdoors or supplied air hood indoors for the current safety precautions.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
All of our hard facing is stick. 95% of it is Lincoln Wearshield. We use A LOT of it. Our tooling doesn't see heavy impacts just a constant pressure in various levels of abrasion. It's all done with engine drive welders in the field or the stick machine in the shop. Unless it's a major long buildup somewhere stick isn't bad. We do lots of augers, mud buckets etc.

hvy 1ton

Lincore 50 is the only lincoln wire that i can find anything about impact resistance. Wearshield 44 stick electrodes would be something to look into as well. That Stoody 35 has a ton of Cr and haven't seen anything that matches up with that.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I looked in the welding cabinet, we use Wearshield MI (moderate impact) 5/32. Usually around 130 amps DC+.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Why pay the local chain shop to order it in when you can order it in yourself?

As I do not use enough any more I order steel I order rods same time. I get a discount when I order with the steel.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We run it a little hotter than I said too, it's close to 150-160 on the 5/32. The 1/8 was the 130 amps.

Welder Dave

Miller has MIG welders with Auto-set that you dial for the wire size and thickness of material and the machine automatically sets the wire speed and voltage. Some people like, some would prefer setting it themselves. You don't have to use the Auto-set. Wearshield ME is a cross for Stoody 35. Below is a cross reference chart. Hardfacing is generally run a little colder so there is less admixture with the base metal. Too much admixture results in a softer and less effective hard surface.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/US/EN/literature/mc1437.pdf

walkerv

Just to change the subject "just a little"..
Has anyone noticed ALL the products they're "horing-out" on all the tv shows??!!!
Garage rehab w/ Richard Rawlings.. at the "big reveal" ..all the Lincoln Welders they "give" away..
& ON ANY HP TV program. Power Block TV.. they run a segment about how ALL the Lincoln welders & equip ARE THE BEST..
I DID SEE ONE that I thought was neat.. it was an "automatic" welder.. you just turn it on & it somehow read what you were welding & adjusted itself??.. Yea, right..
i dont watch tv but watch you tube instead i do watch some welding channels and they are making some fancy stuff nowaday but it all belongs in a shop not on a service truck doing repairs in the field

walkerv

I use Miller products not because of the name(HA!) but reliability. Our local discount centers have tons of Lincolns, where if you look at the name plate Made In China or somewhere well south of the US, I think one I looked at was Brazil. I still frequent a welding supply in Columbia MO where I have bought three welders over the years, were not cheap but still working and work well they also supply all my wire(Handle ESAB), most of my electrodes come from my steel supplier as they are around 30% cheaper and volume distribute while good quality.
i have a trailblazer 325 gas engine and a miller 12rc suitcase on my truck unless you have an old old lincoln engine drive nothing beats the arc performance of a miller

walkerv

I looked in the welding cabinet, we use Wearshield MI (moderate impact) 5/32. Usually around 130 amps DC+.
the spot i have to hardface is severe metal to earth abrasion area with moderate to light impact 5000 hrs on the origanal welds so i really want to find something that will last as long again , i dont mind welding stick but given the option I will set up my suitcase if i have to burn more then a small handful of rod the set up time difference goes away quickly when you sit down and start depositing several pounds of weld .im thinking lincore 60 O or G or forget which one is gonna be what i get probably in .045 that should match the existing hardfacing stringer size pretty close .

walkerv

Got to be careful using that hard facing. Releases hexavalent chromium, would need to be well ventilated outdoors or supplied air hood indoors for the current safety precautions.
99 percent of the time i am outdoors welding.the spot i need to hardface will be well ventilated as i have to open the whole grinder chamber up to clean it out so i dont catch it on fire i usually have a couple 5 gallon buckets of water or the trailer mounted pressure washer with me when i have to do hot work on that machine