• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hammer to Thumb Auxiliary - Bobcat 325

DelVin

I acquired a neighbors ’98 Bobcat 325 Mini-X over a year ago. Everything works perfectly. So last week, I finally purchased and installed a thumb I’ve been wanting. I pressed the left foot pedal and the thumb goes one direction. I can press the pedal the other direction and pressure is released from the line (so I can push it back with the bucket [or use gravity]). This is the older Bobcat, with no visible electronic/hand switch. I tried moving the lever by the left ankle (believe this is the auxiliary mode selector) both directions, but the results are the same. Could anyone tell me if there is more involved in switching from Hammer to Thumb mode than just moving this lever? i.e. engine running or not, etc….. If it's supposed to be that simple, how would I diagnose and correct this issue? Could someone share the theory of operation of this lever and it's interoperation with the auxiliary circuit?

DelVin

413Wedge, thanks for the reply! The lever I was messing with shows (and moves) with a left to right operation, but it also pulls in and out. I discovered this after purchasing the Service Manual. The image in that book shows the older model, and it only moves in and out. In is Hammer and out is Thumb. I have no idea how or why it moves left to right, but if anyone knows, I'd like to know.... In the mean time, I am still waiting for the Operators Manual; maybe that will have some insight.....