• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GS-2646 brake problem

ak_snowbear

Someone gave me an old Genie GS-2646. All the functions work except the brakes won't release. I've tried all I can think of and next step is pulling the hubs apart. I'm hoping someone here has some magic that might keep me from having to do that. What I've done and found

Hit it with a hammer, didn't help....lol

Checked brake solenoid by cracking the line from the valve body and engaging the drive motors with the joy stick (the machine is on blocks). Good flow from the valve body. I don't have a pressure gauge. What I did do was repeat the process with the line tight, run the pump/drive for a little while to charge what looks like an accumulator tee'd into the brake line, then cracked the line. Got nice spray showing there is at least some pressure building.

using the manual brake release, turn the valve CCW per instructions, pressure up with the plunger. Takes about 1.5 strokes. Brakes don't release. Bleed off the pressure by turning valve CC. Cracked the line at the hub and repeated. Good fluid comes out when stroking the plunger.

I'm thinking since the manual release doesn't work all the possible things like safety switches are moot and the actuator inside the hubs are froze up. Just seems odd that both sides are bad.

I don't have a socket to fit the wheel nut and am thinking I'll just un-bolt the whole hub from the frame and try to disassemble from the backside.

Any suggestions, other than a bigger hammer, before I continue are appreciated.