• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader Tires

Scrb

Ok county guys and gals,what tires are you running? Which ones give you the most bang for your buck.

Right now we have 4 machines still on 14.00X24 and 1 on 17.5X25.We seem to have the best luck with Bridgestone VKT on our 14.00 machines.But now its about time to shoe the 17.5 machine so was wondering what others have been having good luck with.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We've ran 17.5s for the past ten years. Always had Michelns. Have never had a failure of any kind. Haven't had any flats. Only thing I don't like about them is the chains get down in the lugs and you lose a lot of traction. That happens during the first 30% of tread wear. After that they won't stay wedged into the lugs so it's not a problem.

Here's some pics. The chains with the crossbars running at an angle across the tire are down in the lugs. Crossbars running straight across tires are not.

DSC00392.jpg

DSC07039.jpg

Jonas302

Michelin snow tires all but eliminate chaining Just put on a set of BKT snow tires not to much to report yet price was waay less than Michelin Continentals were a favorite could always get a few recappings from them dont seem to be able to get them anymore

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
Being as how the OP's location is listed as Missouri, he may not be looking for snow/ ice traction.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yeah, not sure what part of Missouri He's in??? Even if he's a "Southerner", South end of the State, he'll still get snow. It just doesn't stay quite as long.

A Township near me has a set of snow tires on an all wheel drive machine. They only chain up if we have serious drifting that requires a plow. Their Township terrain is much flatter than mine too.

I don't have all wheel drive and I have some steep, hilly terrain. Regardless of tire type, I need chains.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Snow type makes all the difference in the world when plowing. Dry cold snow seldom requires chains. That wet heavy stuff that we seldom get, but you guys get a lot of, is hard pushing and has little traction with rubber once you spin a 1/4 turn and turn it to ice.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Snow type makes all the difference in the world when plowing. Dry cold snow seldom requires chains. That wet heavy stuff that we seldom get, but you guys get a lot of, is hard pushing and has little traction with rubber once you spin a 1/4 turn and turn it to ice.

I tried "no chains" one time. 6" of medium snow on frozen gravel roads. Spun out climbing a hill. Now I've lost all momentum. Slid my way to the bottom of the hill. Got off the road onto the ditch and roadbank where there was vegetation to get some traction on. Row boated my way to the top of the hill with the blade. Went back to the shed and chained up. Now I'm chaining up in the middle of the night, very cold.

Didn't try that again!!!! :mad:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's unreal how big a difference snow tires make. My grader sits in the winter, and I run an L 70 with a box blade. Snow grips make such a difference that the company bought them for all 10 loaders. Sometimes the odd early storm hits before the tires are changed, and you realize how spoiled they make you. My grader came with 6 Michelin snow grips but I have only used them one winter. The summer rubber are Bridgestone but I find them rough. I will say that I am really glad to be clear of bias ply tires. Always hated those early morning flat spots

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
It's unreal how big a difference snow tires make. My grader sits in the winter, and I run an L 70 with a box blade. Snow grips make such a difference that the company bought them for all 10 loaders. Sometimes the odd early storm hits before the tires are changed, and you realize how spoiled they make you. My grader came with 6 Michelin snow grips but I have only used them one winter. The summer rubber are Bridgestone but I find them rough. I will say that I am really glad to be clear of bias ply tires. Always hated those early morning flat spots

I totally agree. We switched to Radials in 1995. Last time I had a flat was 1995. We switched to 17.5s 10 years ago. That was almost as dramatic as going to Radials.

NW41

My county has 6 graders, 5 run a tread pattern similar to oversd's on the rear and a snow tire pattern on the front. Mine is the only one with Snow tires all the way around. I've got 2400 hours on them and haven't had to chain up yet. Even with 30-40% tread they outperform the large block pattern. I can't say enough good about them, until you back into a field drive to turn around and get stuck in 2" of mud!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I think there's always a trade-off. Are your machines all wheel drive??

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
That's my only gripe. They are fabulous in winter. On the flip side, the OP has never chimed in to clarify what kind of work he does. If it's dirtwork , then SnowCat's aren't going to make much sense.

Jonas302

Once people run snow tires in the winter they don't go back to those slippery block treads Even if chains were needed for extra tough hills I would have snow tires underneath and on the steers We leave them on all year for gravel road work they run down the road nice and smooth and don't leave big marks when you turn around or wheel pack fresh gravel
I did see one get stuck this spring found a frost boil in a culdesac the top quarter of the tires were showing on the stuck side when I got there:) Normally its wise to keep the tandems on good ground

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
We leave them on year round too. But just even a road shy of gravel and they spin a bit and go sideways.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
That's my only gripe. They are fabulous in winter. On the flip side, the OP has never chimed in to clarify what kind of work he does. If it's dirtwork , then SnowCat's aren't going to make much sense.

Yep. I thought of that but let it go. I do a LOT of dirt work.....

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Once people run snow tires in the winter they don't go back to those slippery block treads Even if chains were needed for extra tough hills I would have snow tires underneath and on the steers We leave them on all year for gravel road work they run down the road nice and smooth and don't leave big marks when you turn around or wheel pack fresh gravel
I did see one get stuck this spring found a frost boil in a culdesac the top quarter of the tires were showing on the stuck side when I got there:) Normally its wise to keep the tandems on good ground

Having never ran them I have nothing to compare to so be gentle on my comments. Knowing my roads and inclines I climb, I believe I would still have to run chains. So if I do have to run chains, what is the gain of running snow tires?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I just noticed the OP hasn't been back..... Maybe we are talking to ourselves?? :D

20/80

Occupation
operator
Like the pictures, we run goodyear winters on our 140h and 140m on all wheels factory size with good results, is that wing in the picture mounted to your mould board? or am I looking at it wrong?

20/80

Occupation
operator
Having never ran them I have nothing to compare to so be gentle on my comments. Knowing my roads and inclines I climb, I believe I would still have to run chains. So if I do have to run chains, what is the gain of running snow tires?
Winter tires the rubber is softer and makes for better traction without putting chains on as often also you will find that your front end won't slide as easy on you when ice blading or plowing and winging. thanks