• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grade checking book - Basic to advanced, check slope grade with clinometer and LMD

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
This book covers the basics of grade checking up to the most advanced techniques for checking slopes, estimating elevations and distances from remote references, calculating yardage and measuring without a tape. You can do this with three pieces of equipment that will replace half the tools on your grade checking belt.
Too good to be true? Everyone I ever showed this to wanted to know how I came up with this. I have been using this method for years and it is absolutely accurate. If you can shoot a hand level, you can use a clinometer and more accurate than up4, out8. You'll never have to get out on the slope to check the grade for a dozer. Save your energy and your ankles.
I used this system when we all had to use tapes but with the laser measuring device (LMD) being about a hundred bucks, this technique is off the map. Use landmarks, telephone poles, the tops of trees or buildings, figure elevations and distance using totally inaccessible reference grades.
If this sounds like something you are interested in, look me up at:
www.gradecheckingpress.com.

Last edited:

Davvinciman

Occupation
This book covers the relevant subjects I have seen other members asking about in threads I have been reading.
Yardage calculations. How to use a hand level. Basic and advanced grade checking. And a new technique for checking slopes and setting elevations using a clinometer and a Laser Distance Measuring device that was not available in previous years. Hope you like it.

Davvinciman

Occupation
This book covers the basics of grade checking up to the most advanced techniques for checking slopes, estimating elevations and distances from remote references, calculating yardage and measuring without a tape. You can do this with three pieces of equipment that will replace half the tools on your grade checking belt.
Too good to be true? Everyone I ever showed this to wanted to know how I came up with this. I have been using this method for years and it is absolutely accurate. If you can shoot a hand level, you can use a clinometer and more accurate than up4, out8. You'll never have to get out on the slope to check the grade for a dozer. Save your energy and your ankles.
I used this system when we all had to use tapes but with the laser measuring device (LMD) being about a hundred bucks, this technique is off the map. Use landmarks, telephone poles, the tops of trees or buildings, figure elevations and distance using totally inaccessible reference grades.
If this sounds like something you are interested in, look me up at:
www.gradecheckingpress.com.

Didn't know this post was so old. Still using the technology on those jobs that don't have GPS. Simple and light. Just read the book.