• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS & Navigation systems

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have noticed a lot of business people running those in car (or truck) navigation systems, particularly for business stuff. One fencing contractor who works for me always does his quoting and site inspections on Saturdays. He loads all his customer adresses from his computer on to a card thingy and sticks that in the navigator in his truck and away he goes. The bloody machine works out the best and most efficient route and talks to you in a really annoying (but polite) american accent:rolleyes: lol (when it should say "you idiot, you can't do a U turn in the middle of the freeway ..and...you just ran over a grade stake you knucklehead :D

Anyway..I notice they are popular and was wondering if anybody had any experience using them for business.

I can't really see myself using one but I am purchasing a new laptop shortly. My thoughts are to run a mapping program on the laptop and plug in a GPS for realtime location on the map. The systems have a log which keeps track of all your miles which would be handy for actually assigning vehicle useage to a particular task.

It might also be handy for our family sojourns into the bush :D :D ...but the Tax office doesn't need to know that does he???:cool:

Just looking for some feedback on this technology. I like modern technology...but I'm really adverse to buying software and crap that never gets used, always needs updating etc etc. Its easy to get carried away with this crap. I have a rule now about all business purchases and that is; it must improve our safety, productivity or efficiency or it don't get purchased.

jmac

I had a Garmin GPS in my last truck before the fire. Now it is just a big pile of plastic. But before the wenny rost the GPS was great. Used it a lot. Just put the address in you want to go to and it will tell you how many miles, how long of a drive, losts of good stuff. It also will track you as you are driving and you lap top can't do that, so you are never lost. I plan buying another one someday.

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Squizzy246B said:
.......and talks to you in a really annoying (but polite) american accent:rolleyes:
Well that's just plain weird, all ours talk in an Austrailian accent "Next bloody turn mate" and "Ya Kriky destination is 6km ahead"(whatever km are?):beatsme
Maybe there was a mix-up when they left China?
Squizzy246B said:
My thoughts are to run a mapping program on the laptop and plug in a GPS for realtime location on the map. The systems have a log which keeps track of all your miles which would be handy for actually assigning vehicle useage to a particular task.
My father has one in his motorhome and he just loves it. He can download his trip into the computer after he returns, as well as program it prior to leaving.

I thought seriously about buying one since the speedo in my dumptruck is the bouncy-bouncy kind(15mph up-down). The GPS's also have a speedometer function, but I couldn't justify the cost on that alone.

The ones I looked at all were in the $1000+ range. As pack with feature as they are it was too much for me too spend on something that would be mostly a toy for me. I see they sell some cheaper ones but I don't know if they have all the capabilities that the higher priced ones do. Is your job coverage area big enough that you would really need something like this?
Squizzy246B said:
The systems have a log which keeps track of all your miles which would be handy for actually assigning vehicle useage to a particular task.
:rolleyes: :nono C'mon Squizz, it's us you're talking too. We know your wife has to drive you to the jobsite on grocery day. Atleast until your truck get's delivered. "Assigning vehicles"? Get out of here with that stuff!!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
:cool: I'll have to get back to this sarcasm....My wife needs to do the grocery shopping so I got to go out:rolleyes: Sure hope I can find the supermarket without a GPS:bouncegri

Jeff D.

:cool: I'll have to get back to this sarcasm....My wife needs to do the grocery shopping so I got to go out:rolleyes: Sure hope I can find the supermarket without a GPS:bouncegri
We really missed you while you were gone.:yup Not hardly any sillyness happened.:spaz We have to make up for it now.

Welcome back to the nutfarm!!

jmac

I missed you to squiz, it was kind of quite around here, please change all that:bouncegri You did miss me calling Dwan "dawn" that was fun.

wyldman

Charter Member
If you run a laptop,or small computer in the vehicle there are numerous options to do this.A plug in USB GPS or wireless unit will easily interface with the PC,and give data to any mapping software.

Microsoft Streets and Trips is available with the GPS unit included for under $150.It might not have all the fancy features of the more expensive units,but it works.

If you frequently change vehicles,a rechargeable all in one unit is the way to go.No cords,and easily transportable.

Jeff D.

Jeff is that French :nono
I'll be dipped, I guess it is: http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861587657/au_contraire.html

I should've put an "au" infront of it instead of "oh" though.

But it sounded like "oh" when they say it on the Simpsons so........:rolleyes:

Yeah, I've also got some spelling issues. But I just can't resist a chance at teasin' you abit.:bouncegri

Or hi-jacking Squizzy's thread. I'm still paying him back for what he did to me in my Hough thread.:wink2

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Garmin GPSMAP 76 CS

I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 76 CS last year for my jobsites and getting around to find everything. It is a self contained unit that allows for everything from on road navigation while calculating the best routing options for the semi to off road geocaching hunts.

You need to install the local area street data maps to have it work as a navigation aid properly. It logs all of my movements with time and position data, length of leg, current speed and all sorts of usefull information. An external antenna is a must if you are going to be basing calculations on your equipment's movements during a job.

I have combined the data collection of this unit with my PC running Oziexplorer software. See www.oziexplorer.com for the trial or purchase version. I let the Garmin collect my data whether I'm in the trackhoe, posi track or other equipment to log my jobsite time and progress. I can upload this information to the PC and with Oziexplorer, I can scan in maps of my customers' properties and show them that I have worked the particular areas as contracted. This also allows me to estimate acreage, distances, and progress of work for future bidding. I've even been able to calculate the size of my fields on my property and keep track of my bush hogging time when on the tractor.

The bottom line is this - I love the GPS and I plan on purchasing an upgraded model in the future when I find in necessary. Trips out of town are no longer a hassle and there is no arguing with the wife due to poor navigation and map reading skills. :thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
"On the contrary" would be the proper translation, Jeff.:bouncegri

Great review, Treemuncher. :thumbsup