• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gooseneck to Haul JD 550

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
When you toss on new backing plates and new drums, electric brakes are good for a time but they always get weak, magnets getting tired and such. I've just ordered some new 12k hydraulic disc brake axles to toss under my trailer. All the RV and horse folks say the hydraulic brakes, disc or drum are fantastic when compared to electrics.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Maybe I am just too old school but that is nowhere near to enough trailer regardless the tire changes, I have a 24' gooseneck rated at 21000# GVWR, I have dragged all the machines I have EXCEPT my Allis 7G which tips the scales at 23000. For me to put it on a trailer I would have to add half again to the GVWR as to the load going on it. that way the brakes manage, the hitch manages and my insurance doesn't eat me alive. Then there are the DOT boys and portable scales, I would hate to have to leave my machine set while they beat me with fines and still had to get a correct hauler for the equipment.