• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

gitter by cutting edge

workshoprat92

Anyone ever weld in cutting edge segments between the tooth shanks on the bottom of the old cutting lip? Kind of like how the bolt on segments go only weld on. Just had the idea as I need to get by a little longer with what i have before i go all out and replace the cutting lip with one that will accept bolt on segments. I got some material that should work well as it is some dozer blade segments I can cut to fit. Just wondered if anyone has done this and how it turned out?

Twisted

It works as long at the cutting edge is weldable material. I started using AR strips quite a while ago vs. hardfacing on bucket sides, dozer arms, etc. It is way less time consuming and cheaper than hardface rods.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't welded on the lip since our buckets have bolt cutting edges but we save all our old bolt on cutting edges and weld them as wear strips on the bottom and sides of buckets. Works well and you've already paid for the material.

workshoprat92

The cutting lip is definitely weldable as evident by all the repairs I have done LOL. 7018 general purpose hot glue LOL!!! I agree on the AR strips. The Hack that had my bucket before me had about ruined the bucket with hard surface rod. The cutting edge was so warped upward it was useless. I had a hell of a time getting it straightened out. I should have just replaced it then but you know how it is trying to save a buck!!! Anyhow I will work on this tomorrow and should have some pictures.

workshoprat92

Well its been a while but I finished this project as well as a bunch of repair and added some wear pads with the leftover blade material I had. The whole thing gave me a chance to practice my verticle welding. After trying it it made a huge difference in cutting grade. I think getting the cutting edge closer to the bottom of the shanks really helped. I can just shave stuff off now! 20170304_155225.jpg 20170304_154309.jpg 20170304_095322.jpg 20170228_174857.jpg

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Patch work looks good. Mine was well beyond any more patches so I chose to reconstruct where at least you have a base to work on.