• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z60 /34

benblackcreek

Occupation
Owner:Black Creek Enterprises Inc.
I have a 2002 Genie Z60/34 serial # Z60 4096. The secondary boom function works fine while raising but has been very very slow coming down and almost non existent in very cold weather this week it stopped all together . I can raise the boom but cant lower it. Its the same using basket controls or ground controls. I know very little about these machines but im trying learn as much as i can. I would appreciate any help or ideas you guys have.

barklee

I have a 2002 Genie Z60/34 serial # Z60 4096. The secondary boom function works fine while raising but has been very very slow coming down and almost non existent in very cold weather this week it stopped all together . I can raise the boom but cant lower it. Its the same using basket controls or ground controls. I know very little about these machines but im trying learn as much as i can. I would appreciate any help or ideas you guys have.

I would start by checking your hydraulic filters. There is one spin on type in line by the tank (if i remember right) and two filter elements right in front of the engine. They are in a black housing right beside each other. The second thing i would have is the solenoid that operates that function. Should be on the valve block behind the lower control panel. I wonder if you are getting 12v to it, or maybe the solenoid is sticking...... Not a mechanic, just a few things i have run into.

benblackcreek

Occupation
Owner:Black Creek Enterprises Inc.
So I had time to try those suggestions and I still have no luck. Everything seems fine, all the other functions work as you would expect them too. This function has been slow from day one. I have spent a good bit of money trying to have our mechanic "fix" the problem, He has checked pressures,replaced the counter balance valve on this boom, and we had the pump rebuilt about a year a go. Any other ideas? could it be problem with the cylinder itself?

barklee

So I had time to try those suggestions and I still have no luck. Everything seems fine, all the other functions work as you would expect them too. This function has been slow from day one. I have spent a good bit of money trying to have our mechanic "fix" the problem, He has checked pressures,replaced the counter balance valve on this boom, and we had the pump rebuilt about a year a go. Any other ideas? could it be problem with the cylinder itself?

Again, im not a mechanic but i would want to know for sure that the solenoid isnt the cause. Did you try to swap a working function solenoid for the questionable one? That would totally eliminate that. I think the solenoid/ valve is a one piece deal and can be removed in one piece from the block.
Also, on the valve block there are check valves, you could try to swap these and see if there is any change.
I think doing this would be well worth the time and wouldnt take more than an hour.