• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45/22 Rotation Issue

Mr pavement

Hello again everyone. I have done some more testing (since my first post) on my 1994 Genie Z45/22 Boom Lift. My machine is ser # 4265/ 4x4 /3,500 hours/ Deutz Diesel. As I first reported I am having a rotation issue. The machine operates like a champ, other than when you pass from the "yellow" side of the machine to the "blue" side, you can get as far as the boom over the Tire and the rotation Stops. You can not go back and you can not continue. The same goes for the "ground" controls. Today while "testing" I got the machine "caught" for what seamed like an eternity. I was able to climb in the basket and boom straight up with both the "primary" boom and the "secondary" boom and was able to return to the "yellow" side of the machine. As long as you Operate on the "Yellow side everything is OK. My question Still remains (WHY) I thank you all for any HELP

Vetech63

You have a safety switch problem. Chech the boom switches and the circle turn switch.

Mr pavement

You have a safety switch problem. Check the boom switches and the circle turn switch.

Today I checked the switch under the Boom counterbalance. I do not believe that is the problem. I also checked the voltage on the rotation solenoid and it still gets 12.8 volts even when the rotation is "dead". I can hold my multi meter on the terminals and reach around and activate the rotation switch on the ground panel.

Vetech63

All the switches are usually wired concurrently. I've seen switches stuck, have rain water in them. If everything works on one side but not the other, it still sounds like a rotation switch issue, or another switch in the system that the rotation switch is effecting. Do you have a wiring/electrical schematics?

Vetech63

Also, do you have the old style manual axle extensions? Some system on the old machines required the axles to be extended fully before some operations would work over the sides of the machine.

Mr pavement

Also, do you have the old style manual axle extensions? Some system on the old machines required the axles to be extended fully before some operations would work over the sides of the machine.

Hello Vetech 63 I do have both the Service and Parts manuals for this machine. As far as "axle extensions" the answer is No. This machine does however have an Oscillating Axle that when you pick the Primary Boom up these "Lock Wedges" extend out and make the machine "Ridged". I have been slowly trying to work through this issue. I have studied the electrical schematics and somewhat "get it". I wish it was in a format that was actually drawn showing where everything is located on the machine.The strange thing is that even when the "rotation"is "jammed"up there is still 12v power to the 3 position 4 way D01 Valve when you switch -go left- or -go right-. I can reach the terminals on this valve with the leads on my multi-meter and activate the rotation switch on the ground control panel. In my "simple"way of understanding I feel that if a "switch" or Switches were not in line you would not have Voltage at the 3 position 4 way D01 valve when you activate the rotation.

Mr pavement

Good evening Vetech 63, I spent several hours today trying to work through the electrical schematics. I know the machine has (4) switchs. 1 on the underside of the counterweight-1 on the primary boom- 2 on the oscillating axle wedges(1 each side). Other than them I can not find any others. I can not spot these on the Electrical Schematic.