• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie S-60 Boom Very Slow Extending and Retracting

Dardo

We have a Genie S-60 which takes about 3 minutes to completely extend the boom. Same for retracting. I've tried adjusting the potentiometer on the joystick without success. Same symptoms when using the ground controls. Engine RPM has no impact either. Any idea what I could check?

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Being an access machine I would expect it to have a positive pressure check valve on the cylinder... I would check there.
Is it a recently developed problem? progressively worse? never been fast?

Dardo

I have owned the machine for 4 years and it has always been slow. The normal full extension is around 60 seconds.

Dardo

I have an idea it is in the proportional valve coil, but, I have no idea how to test.

lantraxco

http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/data/Service/Stick Booms/48412.pdf

Section 10-1, page 7-38, or in the PDF file page 216, shows the manifold and the Flow regulator valves, #7 (G) is the one for boom extend retract, either it's defective, or the wrong one is installed in that port. The one next to it is for boom up/down, swapping those two will tell you if that's the problem if the extend/retract speeds up but the lift/lower slows down. They may be marked for flow on the end?