• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl Skid Steers

andoman

Just had gehl drop off two new 7810e's last week it will be our third pair of 7810s (or mustang 2109s) and nothing comes close to them. Best large machine bar none.

whitemudgardens

Hello,

I am looking into buying a used 7810 with 535 hours on in. It is a 2007 and is a pretty good price. I have to fly somewhere to look at it. I have read through this thread and found some interesting info about why people do not like these machines. I want to know what to look for on the machine to make sure that I am aware of wear and tear characteristics that would make this machine worth me purchasing. Any insight would be much appreciated.

D&GExcavating

We have always had a fleet of 4 Gehl 5635s and they are perfect for what we do. They get the snot beat out of them but they take it all in stride. They definitely are bare bones compared to some but in my opinion they're one of the best out there. We tend to trade them off for new ones at about 2,000 hours. We did have a Gehl 4835 that snapped both of the front hydraulic shafts at the same time but that was because the guys on the crushing crew weren't exactly using their heads.
On the older ones they had plastic (8 blades i think) fans that liked to fly apart. Obviously they've fixed that now on the newer models. I was cleaning up stock piles in the shop yard with an older one quite a few years ago, and i noticed a trail of oil. Here the fan flew apart and went right through the oil cooler lines. Then we went around and checked the other ones and they were all missing a fan blade or two. But our guys love them because they're so durable and they have a lot of lifting and pushing power. I never did like bobcats. It seemed like they don't have the hydraulic power that a Gehl has.

Last edited:

Parsons_Farms

Occupation
farmer
i have a gehl 07 gehl 7810e i picked it up cheap as a repo and it doesnt have a cab so i bought one and started the installation of the cab and the factory heater, after the terrible directions and many hours of putting it in everything worked great but now the machine wont start, the only deal i can think of i touched that which for safety reasons was i had to take the seat out i do not see anything wrong with the connection front the seat, fuses are all good anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong i could check.. thanks jon

Hoofpie

Do you mean it will not turn over or will crank but not start? If it will not crank, sounds like a safety switch. Check the seat switch. Then check the seatbelt and/or pull down lap bar switch.

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
So on a Gehl you can't even start the machine without the safty switches being activated? On my 75xt you can start it without being seated, just not move it or the bucket.

bill onthehill

My Gehl you must be in the seat to start it with the lap bar down. Once it is running the lap bar activates the hyda-loc and it wont move with the bar up. I would be checking the bar switch as well as the seat. You may have a seat switch that is staying made and not allowing the start circuit.

andoman

We had the same problem with one of our 2109's (mustang's 7810) and it was the wiring harness for the seat safety switch. Repaired the harness and everything worked fine. It ended up some wires worked their way loose while we cleaned the unit up for winter storage.

dave esterns

ah one of the local farmers has a smaller gehl skid steer with 30,000 hours on it. it is on its second engine... but otherwise still going strong. he also has a bobcat A300 with 12,000 hours he is planning on trading.

bjneyer

I am looking at a used 2010 Gehl CTL75. It appears to be in excellent shape. Is there anything I should know about these units? Also, I am unfamiliar with skid steers in general, but does this unit typically come with a universal impliment attachment?

BJ

cat320

Charter Member
I am looking at a used 2010 Gehl CTL75. It appears to be in excellent shape. Is there anything I should know about these units? Also, I am unfamiliar with skid steers in general, but does this unit typically come with a universal impliment attachment?

BJ

They do come with universal. that is a track machine so I would be more concerned with the track part of it almost like buying a track dozer looking for wear on the drive parts how is the track. and the usual stuff you would look for in a machine.

bjneyer

They do come with universal. that is a track machine so I would be more concerned with the track part of it almost like buying a track dozer looking for wear on the drive parts how is the track. and the usual stuff you would look for in a machine.

Usual stuff? LOL I know next to nothing about skid steers except that I am going to need one for building some Monolithic domes. I will be attaching a mortar mixer in place of the bucket for batch mixing concrete for a peristolic shotcrete pump. The treads are slightly less than the thickness of a pack of cigarettes. He used that in a picture for perspective. I have neither seen nor run the machine first hand, but am purchasing it through EBay.

I was trying to get some background on possible issues. The machine is more than needed, but I could also scrape in extra money clearing brush.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

BJ

cat320

Charter Member
I know you might get a better maybe thru ebay but for your first machine your not
familair with first is there a Gehl dealer close by in case you need parts or work done. everything looks good on a screen but you don't see the the unseen stuff . just apply car or truck buying princables to it.

bjneyer

I know you might get a better maybe thru ebay but for your first machine your not
familair with first is there a Gehl dealer close by in case you need parts or work done. everything looks good on a screen but you don't see the the unseen stuff . just apply car or truck buying princables to it.

Actually there are two Gehl skid steer dealers within 20 miles. One does have repair bays and we have a heavy equipment repair facility in town that says it can fix anything, though mostly they do Cat and Deere.

Lamster

And finlly, the super crash, rear liftarm support breaks and bend the liftarm, at loading only loose material
2600USD for the support and a liftarm is still bent
and 6 week breakdown, because not in stock in whole Europe
My last Gehl 7810e
And lower pin wear out with no way for fixing it (no bushings)
2700hours on it
this kind of Liftarm contruction is badly developed,never again a Vertical Lifting skid Steer Loader

Attachments

• A54E8DB7-5761-443E-A690-A10BE8617611.jpeg
    A54E8DB7-5761-443E-A690-A10BE8617611.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • E20E7119-18FC-4DE9-B68A-D15B7E455622.jpeg
    E20E7119-18FC-4DE9-B68A-D15B7E455622.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

skata

Lift arm? What actually broke? The smaller link connecting the main arm to frame?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
And finlly, the super crash, rear liftarm support breaks and bend the liftarm, at loading only loose material
2600USD for the support and a liftarm is still bent
and 6 week breakdown, because not in stock in whole Europe
My last Gehl 7810e
And lower pin wear out with no way for fixing it (no bushings)
2700hours on it
this kind of Liftarm contruction is badly developed,never again a Vertical Lifting skid Steer Loader

Not all vertical lift machines have these types of issues. Wacker Neuson's vertical lift mechanism is very strong, while the biggest ones are now made in the USA and not in Austria any more, parts would be no problem in Austria with the large WN operations there.

Lamster

First the big pipe on the rear top was broken, and while this was, the lift-cylinder had bend the arm a little bit, do the frame will not go in the bottom guide in the front of the machine while lowering the liftarm
i know Wacker Neuson, the Factory is not wide away from me (im from Austria)
but i had Gehl since many Years before
got many Gehls: 1620, 1625, 1635, 1640, 3825, 4635, 5635, 5640 and 7810e

charles walton

Gehl Problems

In addition to the lift arms developing slack:
1. all three machines overheat quickly on warm days
2. all three machines had fuel tank blockage, which we were told was the result of a problem with a fitting in the tank
3. the red bracket that is used to lock the lift for maintenence purposes, broke off on all three machines destroying hydraulic hoses
4. all three machines developed cracks in the frames, (which we were told by the repairman authorized by Gehl is a continous problem)
5. engine compartment screens have broken off all three machines leaving the engines exposed to debris. After being repaired (by authorized repairmen) they continue to break
6. the air conditioners on all three machines never worked properly
7. the accelerator pedals hang and will not go into the "idle" position
8. hand throttle control broke off on two of the machines
9. bolts holding lift arm pins continue to come out causing lift arms to lose position
10. safety switches frequently malfunction shutting down machines
11. bolts in rear bumpers won't stay tight. One bumper fell off.
12. back door latches won't stay closed allowing doors to swing open exposing radiator.
13. front tires are too close to the attachments. Ruined numerous tires when attachments rub tires.
14. electronic bucket attachment locks don't work properly
15. muffler bolts won't stay tight
16. sliding windows get off track because framework gets loose
17. lots of other bolts lose on machines

These problems may sound small but when they can never be repaired (no matter what you do:Banghead ) you decide you bought a poorly designed machine.

I've read what others said about using and abusing their machines but we didn't abuse ours. Normal use just made them fall apart.:beatsme
Sounds like you have a bunch of geekers beating the crap out of them and never doing any maintenance.