• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl Skid Steers

2109 Stang

I'm wondering if there are some Mustang owners with an opinion?

scott ,I own a 2109 got it in november 05 and only have little over 300 hours on it ,so I might not be a good source of info for that matter , but have to say , the machine has performed flawlessly in this little time , I almost got a Case but the salesman didn't pay attention to what I wanted on the machine so I move on, bobcat S300 had a great deal going at that time but they are too tippy and ride too ruogh and after reading about al the small electrical problems some of their machine have, thats the last thing I want on a dirt moving machine so I went with Mustang and never look back ,power to spare and lift that can not be match by any other compact machine or must backhoe loader. any question that you have about this machine just ask .I'll be glad to answer .

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocket

why didnt you rent a gehl with controls that you're familiar with?
which model did you use? wheeled? tracked?

T-bar is what they had. The Gehl dealer around the corner was just opening for business. I use the pilot controls in the CAT. Almost became a statistic in an old Thomas using foot controls. Won't go near them now. I've got two left feet. I got experience in some loaders before taking on business ownership so I was more comfortable with the pilot controls. Used ASV for a couple years but their dealer is another 30 minutes away beyond CAT.

cat320

Charter Member
I agree with the foot controls, i have not tried the pilot controls yet .the T-bar i thought i would not like but have gotten used to them.

scott janisch

thanks for the reply 2109 STANG, I'm a big Mustang fan since I've had 2, a940 and I stll have a 2040. It's really fun to use in tight areas. It also has a single stick t- handle with foot controls. I like it cause I can turn my body instead of my neck for those long mutiple reverse trips I have to do to get around houses. Less tiring with one hand on the stick. The down side is always catching the crotch of your winter overalls on the stick on your way out of the cab which of course causes increased wear and tear.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Gehl controlls

In my opinion the controll to have witha gehl is the pilot ones. The t-bars are hard on the rists to operate and you may not be able to get full flow out of the hydraulics. The centeral position has the handle perpendicular to the operator and requires 35-40 degrees of rotation for full flow. The pilot controlls use two joystick that you can switch the patterns around on for any combination that the operator desires. For fine work or tight conditions I prefer case controlls becase of a better feel of the turn and easier to counter rotate, BUT you have to drive with two hands all the time...

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
I used to run a 2002 Gehl 7610,doing everything from demolition to finish grading for landscapers and that is one particular skid loader I have nothing bad to speak of. Of course not all machines are ceated equal. For some reason Gehl does not recommend using steel tracks with foam-filled tires?????
I don't know about the newer models but that 7610 was unstoppable.

wweverett

I have a 7810e, w 62 hours on it pulled the air filter and the secondary was covered, pulled the secondary and the snorkle was full of fine dust. Gehl is being a complete a** about giving me a new engine or machine. I should have got the 272c cat but my 297c will not start without plugging it in below 15 degrees and I knew the cummins would. They took an oil sample 3 weeks ago and I have heard nothing, probabaly because it was bad and they don't want to say anything.

I mean the machine is great does anyone want a low hour 7810e w/ every option.

Gehlcrasher

I'v run the 5635t/5635tseries 2 and 5640e turbo over the last 15 years before that ive had clark toyota and mustang. I just love the gehl. I put up with a few early faults (drive hoses seals etc) but once there fixed with better hoses their great. I like the 56** because of its unique size. more power/speed/lift than equally sized skid steers. shure one might have more power but is slower or longer wider.The main thing is to do a really good check when new, cover any hoses that may rub etc. Oh never had one over heat yet even in 38 deg cel heat.

gehl5635sxt

gehl hydraulics

I need help with something.

My Gehl 5635 has some problem with the hydraulics. About six months ago, the lift arms, tilt, and auxiliary would not really work while the machine was cold, then work better. I could always get them to work if I held the control halfway open or thereabouts, but everything would stop if I opened it fully. Later on, all hydraulics quit, and I replaced a relay switch that fixed that, and replaced the fluid and filter (the fluid I was using was very poor quality also, I found out about that time).

The problem persists. When I try to engage a control, it may start to work and stop, or not work at all. It sounds as if I'm trying to engage a control while the parking switch is on or the safety bar is up, that clicking sound when everything is shut off.

Any ideas?

emilbanks

Occupation
Building & Grounds Maintenance
4640e

I have a Gehl 4640E with T-Bars handles great fast response.

I also leased for a year a CTl60 track machine did a great job clearing 40 acres of land.
We use Bob Cats at the power plant and they have everything heat air conditioner all the bells and whistles but for home farm use the gehl is ok for me.

Emil:)

CEM

Occupation
State Prison
I have a 4615. My first skidsteer. T bar controls. I have had it for two years. I love it.

crutch

Occupation
student
I ran an old high hour N/A Gehl w/ T-Bars doing trails work at a forest reserve for a few months. Their idea of a maintenance schedule is changing the oil once/season and really high turnover means many 'operators' have had their way with the machines. Leaked a tank of hydraulic fluid and a couple liters of coolant/week, creeping hydraulics, have to jump the starter with a screwdriver (safe!) and a nice grey sludge would ooze out of the belly pan into the water table every time you got up on the right angle :) but it still ran strong day after day as long as you kept on top of the fluids.

IMO they're tough as nails. Those T-Bars hurt the wrists pretty bad though...

Last edited:

rconley1879

Looking for comments on 6640 machine.
Have just bent the 2nd left lift cylinder, have to slow down engine sometimes to let hydraulic pump catch up. Of course dealer says he can find nothing wrong.

rconley1879

Is anyone familiar with a Gehl 6640. I am considering purchasing one equipped with:

1. Cab, heat, and a/c
2. Hi flow hydraulics
3. Two speed
4. Type of controls - undecided but leaning toward joy sticks - left one for driving and the right one controls the bucket/attachment.
5. Hydra glide - this is the option that involves some cushion effect when traveling with a load to prevent bouncing.
6. Radio
7. Rear counter weight.
8. Also, is anyone familiar with a built in fire suppression system for engine compartmet that can be added to a machine such as this.
9. What about a reversible fan that will blow out the radiator occasionally?

I appreciate you sharing your thought, suggestions, etc. !!!

Have one---actually 2nd 6640---1st one was excellent so traded it for cab model.
IT HAS NERER BEEN RIGHT---uses oil, about to replace 2nd left lift cylinder, hydraulics sometimes won't work until let off of engine speed, even after oil and filter change!!!
It is for sale!!!!

DirtCheapDrew

I've had a few Gehls over the years. All 6620 and 6625's. My current machine is a high flow. They've been great and don't owe me a dime. Always had good luck with the Perkins engines, don't know much about the Deutz. Most guys with the Deutz in Rayco crawlers have all been back to the dealer for engine replacements. Yanmar and Kubota for replacements. Not sure if Gehl's had problems with the new Deutz. Interested to see what Gehl offers this year. Yes, Gehl and Mustang tracked machines are made by Takeuchi, still great machines with a more American label. I've had good luck with Cat equipment over the years. ASV didn't seem to backup their machines when some local guys had front spindle bearing problems years ago. The Bogie wheel set-up seems to be prone to problems, especially in freezing weather where mud and rock presents problems. Let's face it, not everyone can park their machine in a warm barn every night. Just my .02.

crosswind

I have an older 6625 that I replaced some of the linkage bushings.After replacing them the machine now creeps really bad in reverse and also turns to the right.
I don't have any manuals, any advice on how to adjust that out would be appreciated.Thanks.

muff

Had a 7810 full loaded. Kept if for three months and then had to trade it b/c it was junk. The power and ground speed were good, but it would not "hook up with the ground". All it wanted to do was spin and dig itself a hole. IMO it was not properly geared for all of the power it had. Also, the back end was too low and would always hang up on the underside. Have four skidders and won't have a gehl again unless it is on tracks (then it really a Takahuchi).