• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion T500-A Motor Grader

Jhoush65

Thanks to all who offered tips and advice on rebuilding my leaky mole board lift hydraulic cylinder I was able to find a complete seal kit online and get it installed and back together with great results--no more oil leak!!!! Now that i got the leak stopped and was able to actually use the machine a little, I found more issues. When I bought the grader, the hyraulic filter, which is a cartridge type and installs in the reservoir just to the left of the operator seat, was removed and setting in the cab. I asked the guy I bought it from why that was and he told me they were unable to find the correct filter and it would not work. Upon further checking, I found that is was in fact the correct filter that the machine called for. But after I cleaned it up and installed it, the filter will not let the hyd fluid flow through it fast enough and fills the reservoir on top of the filter up and forces it out around the filter cap beside the seat. I see in the manual there is a relief valve. Wondered if that could be my problem or if anyone had any other ideas.
My next issue is that there seams to be alot of slippage in either the transmission or torque converter when I put it in either 3rd or 4th gear. Especially in 4th. What little work I did do, low gear seems to work fine. Wondered if that was just something I was just gonna have to live with or if there could possibly be a simple fix and not something pricey and complicated.
Thanks in advance for any advice on these issues.
Jhoush65

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I've never heard of cleaning a cartridge filter. Replace it. Relief could be faulty but it should only bypass when cold started in cold weather.

Lanham orne

Have the same issue on my T400 with the oil seeping out around the tank cap. Wondering if you had found a fix for that problem or not.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Even my A450E 1988, had a cartridge filter but at the rear next to the transmission. I replaced it with a spin on back in 2000. Re leaking hyd' tank cap, Sure it's not overfull.

Bearhead

Thanks to all who offered tips and advice on rebuilding my leaky mole board lift hydraulic cylinder I was able to find a complete seal kit online and get it installed and back together with great results--no more oil leak!!!! Now that i got the leak stopped and was able to actually use the machine a little, I found more issues. When I bought the grader, the hyraulic filter, which is a cartridge type and installs in the reservoir just to the left of the operator seat, was removed and setting in the cab. I asked the guy I bought it from why that was and he told me they were unable to find the correct filter and it would not work. Upon further checking, I found that is was in fact the correct filter that the machine called for. But after I cleaned it up and installed it, the filter will not let the hyd fluid flow through it fast enough and fills the reservoir on top of the filter up and forces it out around the filter cap beside the seat. I see in the manual there is a relief valve. Wondered if that could be my problem or if anyone had any other ideas.
My next issue is that there seams to be alot of slippage in either the transmission or torque converter when I put it in either 3rd or 4th gear. Especially in 4th. What little work I did do, low gear seems to work fine. Wondered if that was just something I was just gonna have to live with or if there could possibly be a simple fix and not something pricey and complicated.
Thanks in advance for any advice on these issues.
Jhoush65
Hi, do you recall where you bought the hydraulic seal kit? Thanks