• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

I know plenty of good painters, I am not one of them...
Ha! Me too! If it doesn't start peeling off before I get the gun cleaned up I'm happy. True story- after a woman ran off on me (many years ago) I traded the engagement/wedding ring to a buddy that was a painter and getting married for a paint job.

I now know why people buy service trucks already spec'd and built.
Built not bought. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

You both have done some slick repair work, ought to be proud of the accomplishments.
Thanks. The only problem is I can't meet my own standards- "I could do that better than I did..." and then keeping myself from doing whatever over and NEVER getting something done.

Crummy

Up for lunch. It's great having a Shome.
Got the Plasma Wrench out this morning & cut the gate out-

DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Crummy

...and that goofy jumping jack carrier thingy that I was pretty sure I was going to bust my shin on eventually-

DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

Crummy

Raining so I'm in the shop polishing up the KW getting it ready to go away. Pull 8 wheels off to polish, then tanks, etc, etc. Did I mention I dislike polishing?
DSCF0001.JPG

I just got a call from a buddy saying a big ol' crane crashed on I-5 locally and has it all blocked so I had to come upstairs & see what's what. Bad day for the crane driver.
cranecrash.jpg

crane operator

Crane dolly's are a great way to make axle weight, but they are not a safe solution. Canada did a study on them after they have had several accidents up there, and the engineer's came back with the same answer.

The tail ends up wagging the dog, and once the dolly comes free, the turntable allows it to swing too freely. There's two or three a year that I see in the crane magazines gone over, a kid in arizona was killed last year with one. I ran a 85 ton for a while that got the dolly broke loose on, the boom came around on that one and killed the guy in the lower cab who was driving.

Hope the driver is okay. Sad to see 500,000- 1,000,000+ laying on its side. If its 200 ton plus and pretty new, its more like 2 million.

I hate to polish too crummy, I actually don't do it, I just wash and clean them up, but it does make it look nice if you're trying to sell.

Crummy

I5 is takin a beatingup there.. must be close to where the amtrack fell on the road?
40 or so miles north. Trains, cranes....what's next?

Hope the driver is okay.
The news said no injuries, hard to believe looking at it. It ended up facing south against the fast lane guardrail going northbound. No boom dolly & not too big a unit- one of Barnhart's Demag AC155's. I'd have to say must have been mechanical failure to crash that hard.

gtermini

Looks like a straight road. Probably some jackwagon in a car driving like it was nascar. It's no fun being out there on 5 in a big rig.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I hated working inner city, had to move seven 53 foot NEW trailers back to Fruehauf in 1989, had bad alignments and dragged like no wheels. They would NOT let us do the realigns so 14thst. to Market hang a right and go to Duncan at Vandeventer(new IKEA sets across Vandeventer there). Then had to blindside back the trailers into then all the way thru the building to the opposite end. Did that for four days, P&D, third day was not so good.

Got to 14th and Market, moved to right lane then swung OUT into mid center lane to make the turn trailer slider all the way forward. Cab was around 10-15 degrees off straight and t/s flashing.
Started to go as light turned and thought the trailer was gonna flip on its side. Then bang back to flat. Stopped, walked around the truck, old Black man sitting behind the wheel of a flattened Buick 225, ran across the hood just ahead of the w/s. Tore the bumper off the trailer. Cop was standing there, was sitting behind me when the IDIOT darted on the shoulder, in between me and the curb but had to stop for the rain manhole, perfect placement.

Cop about pee'd himself, could barely talk to the poor bugger without laughing, got me a insurance card number and wrote the guy a ticket for driving off the pavement, sent me on!! Guys at Fruehauf could barely stand up laughing so hard.

Crummy

I'll be soooo glad when the service truck is up & running. Went & did an emergency field repair today, got done & loading up the tools- one of the pry bars is missing. One of my biggest fears is leaving a tool on a truck/trailer and having it bounce off & through someone's windshield. Scoured the rig I was working on, underneath, EVERYWHERE! Still hasn't turned up. Now I've got to take everything out of the pickup (in the pouring rain) & hope it's there.

Crummy

I'm derailing my own thread.
I got a voicemail from a guy that wants me to "drop the 800hp marine file" in his 435hp 3406e and "there's $300 cash in it for you if you can do it today".
Heh. Good to start the morning off with a laugh.

gtermini

I'm derailing my own thread.
I got a voicemail from a guy that wants me to "drop the 800hp marine file" in his 435hp 3406e and "there's $300 cash in it for you if you can do it today".
Heh. Good to start the morning off with a laugh.

That's job security too, for when he calls back about busted u joints, smoked clutch, and crunchy rear ends noises.

Crummy

That's job security too, for when he calls back about busted u joints, smoked clutch, and crunchy rear ends noises.
Problem there is I doubt he'd have any money after doing everything else it takes to and make that hp. "What? But I saw on the internet and the guys at the lunch counter said...". A buddy of mine recently got the 2018 truck he'd spec'd to pull his 70t 8 axle & got in an on-line fist fight with a guy that (seriously) wanted to convert his Volvo line haul truck "to get into heavy haul". I'll do road truck/trailer work for guys I know, but coming out of the industry I've got less than zero interest in doing any work for the average Billy Bigrigger.

Rant over