• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

mitch504

You know, I think you are right, on IFTA at least. Seems like it starts at 50k gvwr. I quit crossing state lines with my big stuff a few years back just because I found the difference in what I made wasn't worth the hassle.

Crummy

Yesterday was busy, but not on the "new" rig. Cleared some old "projects" out of the shop that were just taking up a lot of room. The guy drove 6 1/2 hours one-way to get the stuff! He's happy & I'm happy + more $ for me to spend recklessly. It's amazing what you can sell on Craigslist.

I did get the rust in the cab mitigated & the floor mats & seat back in. Not enough room in the shop for the KW and the little truck and I've got the KW torn apart getting it ready to sell. The weather here is going to be really stormy for a bit so I took the crane off and start the rebuild on it in the shop-
DSCF0001.JPG
I really need to focus on the Kenworth and get it gone.

Crummy

Took the little crane apart today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Replace some limit switches & bearings, blast on a coat of paint & should be OK. The swing worm gear motor is giving me fits getting it apart though, better look at the exploded view before I explode it with a big hammer.
DSCF0001.JPG

Yup, that bearing is shot.
DSCF0002.JPG

Crummy

Not a lot of progress, you know what they say- life is what happens when you are planning on doing something else. I did get the little crane rebuilt. Not impressed with AutoCrane- this model at least.
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

Not connected to this project but I had an idea & I'll probably find out "everyone has one of those!". I had a little fix-it field repair this week that the worst part of it was crawling under the rig in the gravel & mud & puddles. I'm going to buzz together a lowboy creeper with 10" pneumatic tires & see how it works. Screw that tarp/cardboard BS.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tried a similar creeper some years ago, just my weight and being as it had to be low to ground it got stuck in the muck pretty quick where I had to scoot OFF of it to get out from under, went back to the tarp creepers after.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
The best off-road creeper I've found is corrugated plastic sign board, I have an old real estate sign, 4' x 4' x 1/2" thick that works excellent, has some cushion for rocky ground also!

Crummy

I got the DPF retrofit out and the new guaranteed to promote climate change muffler in. Fired it up last night & sounded a LOT better. Hopefully no engine damage.
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

crane operator

Just because I'm curious, is there a market for the used DPF? I'm sure it was expensive when they originally had to put it on, I didn't know if there was someone trying to make something calif. compliant, they could buy your old one and install it? There's probably a bunch of paper work and you have to be a "registered" installer or something.

On the creeper thing, I've got a "Bone" style creeper, they make a off road one of those. I have the standard one and it rolls really well.

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Enterprises-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DGS1JSB60SPRERY6E3VA

I've also used plywood and tarps, also fridge box, but never the sign board, I'll have to look into that. We had to do a third member in one of the cranes on site, and I used plywood under the floor jack to install the third member in the dirt/ mud, and two sheets of plywood really helped keep me out of the mud.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My favorite "off road" creeper is the cardboard cube Cat uses to keep parts on the cute little pallet. Thick enough it'll offer some padding and also it'll keep you dry unless it's an absolute mud hole. With a little practice you can slide it and yourself just about anywhere. If it's especially rocky and you're sitting it's mighty comfy folded over. Best part is.....it's free. Although if you buy enough crap at Cat you need a pallet you've already spent a good bit of the man's coin. Every filter trip for me to keep all my Cat filters and oil stocked runs about $2,500......

dirty4fun

When I was on the farm I used a rubber windrower belt, it was 4' X 12' because it was either mud or cattle crap to lay in. Now that I have a shop most of the time cardboard thou do have a creeper that gets used once and a while. Depending on how much room I have under what ever I am working on. It is easier to get up off the cardboard I think.

Crummy

My buddy asked if I was going to put a Plexiglas shield & some gloves like they use in blast cabinets to keep all the s**t that drips off the rig after it has been running in the goo before it broke.
Corrugated plastic sounds like a better idea.

Crummy

Just because I'm curious, is there a market for the used DPF?
I think the window for the CARB Bus/Truck retrofit is closed. Plus the gov't did/does easy-squeezy financing (with our $), but it has to be at an "approved" installer. What a racket.

Crummy

Had the service truck in the nice warm shop the past few days. Got a lot of stuff done underneath & started working on the cab interior again. Pulled the dome light, fixed the roof mount antenna that was leaking above it, and started cleaning up the dash & wiring in new switches, and........WTF!? Baby mice are literally falling out of the dome light hole on me! #@*%$, I knew I should have dropped the headliner first thing. Frickin' mouse house up there. Shop vac eviction.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My outdoor creeper is a 2.5" thick sheet of that flexible styrofoam type stuff. It's about 3'×3'. Soft and its thick enough to keep me out of the mud. Insulates me from the -40 degree dirt too which is nice.

Crummy

You guys got me thinking & I've got a bunch of plasti-form out back left over from my concrete days. It's like Teflon slick & light so it might work pretty well. That reminds me I've got to get all the cretard equipment gathered up and sold, never going to use that stuff again.

Not much progress on the service truck, the Kenworth is taking a lot longer getting it ready to put on the market than I wanted & I've got to go to my California house next week to do the pre-winter work (one more thing I need to sell...).

Crummy

Went to fire the IH up today & let it run for awhile since we've got some snow.
Would.Not.Start
Like it was only firing on one hole. Sput-sput-sput. It's not run very smooth since day 1 but, what the heck? Hooked the MD up and......no codes. After some searching found the injector harness plug was almost out & full of water. Cleaned, dielectric, fired right up and now it runs smooooooth!

Crummy

Nothing new to report on the project. The trip to California wiped me out & then a slew of little jobs came up.

Still having an issue with it starting after it's been sitting a few days and cool temps. If I had to guess that #$*@ing DPF running with the "Danger! Danger!" idiot lights on sooted the s**t out of the engine even though it wasn't for very long. No codes & nothing obvious showing on MD when it's running.

The next step on it is paint. And I really dislike painting. Not so much the painting itself but the prep. I'm going to try a new product so we will see how it goes, if it works as advertised in the spec sheet it shouldn't be too bad. I need to get the Kenworth gone and get it in the shop and I'm still working on that- probably would have been faster if I hadn't taken a lot of good stuff out of it to put in the "new" rig. Seat, stereo, radio & antenna (keeping the Anytone for sure), Stahl boxes (lift axle controls were in there so re-locate that mess), inverter, inside/outside temp gauge, Garmin Dezl......