• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

freeloaders working the unemployment scam

Hobbytime

You guys are about spot on, spring can't come soon enough, but warm weather won't stop some of these deadbeats, it seems most only work a few months every decade or so, some it seems work even less than that.

But seriously, does anyone know how to stop these people legally from bothering me, spring won't help, they'll just stop by the jobsite, claiming to be looking for the landowner and then ask for a job while they are there, then I can't tell them off, its not my property and I have no idea if they indeed know the landowner or not.
all you have todo is ask for a work history and tell them you are going to call the last job they had for references, that should cut out all the scammers..

crane operator

Khansen- I don't think anyone here was talking about your situation. I would sincerely miss your input, and advice you freely give on this forum. I really enjoy reading your posts.

It's common in the road construction and quarry work/ asphalt plant, in my area, for all those employees to have a 2 month seasonal layoff. Anyone who has a problem with those guys drawing needs to remember they work 90 hour weeks through the summer, and are constantly paying into the system. I don't see a problem with them getting some of it back.

I actually have a employee who was laid off at another employeer, and he told me when he got laid off - he was going to try to collect unemployment for a year or two. He got a nice letter after less than 9 months from the state of missouri that his benefits had run out. He called me "I guess I'm going to go back to work", and he's been with me a couple years now. I think here, the only long term people on a government check, have to get a doctor to sign off with a disability.

I grew up in a conservative, Midwest farming community. Friends and Family in the farming game, seemed to constantly harp on government spending, unemployment , disability , etc., Government spends way too much money. Look down on some guy with 3 kids who got laid off at the factory drawing unemployment etc. Yet when the government was handing out LDP and CRP payments, none of them turned down their checks. "Well - we would have gone under farming without those government checks." Money going to other people looks like a hand out- when it was coming to them- it looked like a life preserver. Sometimes things look different, just based on where you're standing.

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
I would gladly forfeit all USDA "interference payments" If they would stop meddling with my farming operation. Of course the only way that can be done is for USDA to discontinue commodity price manipulation and allow me to buy private crop insurance without participating in their control programs.

td25c

Randy88 ,
@Randy88 You need some summer weather so you can get back to real work & stop thinking about this.....:D;)
More then likely alrman , I think your on to something Mate ! :)
Randy turned down my job application as well .:(

Keep a stiff upper lip Randy , spring & better weather is just around the corner .:cool:

auen1

Many, including me, need employment ins.
I pay for it and use it.

Randy, shut down your business and get a job that pays by the hour.
I'll hire you on
and lay you off when the equipment breaks down.
When there is no work,
take a break,
probably more work in about 2 weeks........

Meanwhile, Randy,
Pay your rent, food
and everything else that your family needs to survive,
until we have more work.

Let us know how it all works out,
when your truck gets repossessed,
kicked out of your house
and you can't put food on the table.

But hay,
I'll probably have more work for you
......in about 2 more weeks!

Last edited:

Randy88

TD25c, I'm sorry I'm not currently hiring, but if I were, I'd hire you on the spot.

auen1, if read the entire thread, I'd think you'd be upset with these same people, they are using up dollars meant for those who have been employed that are laid off, or are actively looking for a job. I'd think you'd be appalled that these people are manipulating the system to their advantage and avoid working making it that much harder for anyone who's legitimately looking for a job to get a job application handed to them due to so many of these types out there making all those on legitimate unemployment and deserving those benefits looked down upon by many business's and handing off the hiring to agencies instead of doing the hiring themselves like has been done decades ago. These people are making it that much harder for you to get an interview or be able to sit down with a good business rep one on one because so many business's are tired of these types wasting their time? I'd think you'd be beyond upset by having to wait in line behind these types who don't want the job, and you do and are delaying your hiring by processing so many bogus applications and having to take so much time to sift through all those applications?

So could you explain to me how you could be upset and defend them?? I'm not understanding this at all, if you feel your equal to these people can you explain it, I'm not seeing that myself at all, I'd think those not in this group would be outraged these people are abusing a system set up to cushion the transition for workers who are between jobs or when work is slow, please explain where I don't understand why your not upset at these types who make everyone who's on employment to find a good job so much harder and take so much longer??

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I worked for a company ONCE that encouraged its people to collect it..
They produced injection systems for the Govt. and when the contract was up or it was filled, they would wait a week and lay everyone off.
they had such a reputation w/ the unemployment office, they would CALL THEM to let them know they were bout to get hit w/ an influx of people from their company.. and to OK the checks..
I never had the opportunity to go but a lot of others did, 100's.. and in 2 week or even 1 DAY after the lay off, they would call them all back because the Govt re-upped the contract for another 500-1000 units.. another 9-12 month job.
When MY dept contract was filled & they chopped heads, I left.. I have to be stable and KNOW there my check is coming from..
Its similar to working strictly on commission.. I wont do it and never will..
But I guess the "KEY WORD" here is WORK..
BTW> we ALL KNOW Hansen's a bum.. LOL The way he "lurks" on this site and never helps out.. LOL
I've OFTEN THOUGHT about working during the winter & taking the summers off.. I just cant figure a way to do it AND get a paycheck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Well I guess I need to say I'm one of those "dead beats" !

The quarry I worked at in the shop for many years us mechanics were kept on year round. Then new management came in and decided to downsize the shop to eventually one mechanic and made that a 9 or 10 month position at the same time. So I guess I was guilty of "scamming" the system too! So if the consensus is that I am a bad person I will unsubscribe from this forum so as to not upset too many people.

And yes the vast majority of the people who work at this quarry are what could be considered "seasonal". It is not easy to try to run a stone quarry in the winter in this part of the country so production is limited to 8 to 9 months of the year. So from what I'm hearing here is everyone should be fired at the first hard freeze and cut loose with no benifits or unemployment checks. Then next spring at first warm day company should put up a sign saying "Help Wanted" and hope they can find enough people to run the plant and spend hundreds of hours training these new employees who know they will kicked to the curb with no support when weather turns cold again in October.

So let me know how soon I should unsubscribe so as to not cause any more trouble on this forum.

Maybe it is different there Ken but in most states we worked in the unemployed that were seasonal employee's did not have to do the work search thing. I verified many times each year to unemployment agencies that would send a form letter in various states that the employee would indeed be called back. Msot I never heard from again after the first year. The only folks I am aware of that have to do the verified work search is if they are on a extension of the benefits. The feds mandated that when a person could draw up to a year with extensions. Of course I have not worked in every state. Don't go away Ken, I was not talking about any mostly gainfully employed person. The highway/ heavy guys here are almost all off for a portion of the year, but they also as you did worked for years and most of every year enough to pay in there fair share.

Edit: Employers here have to pay into the unemployment fund a rate that is based on the number of employees versus the number laid off each quarter. Seasonal companys pay much higher unemployment rates that say a factory or other year round employer.

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
To complete my post above I also as Randy 88 mentioned had more than my share of people come into the office and look for a construction job that did not want to get hired. Many said so. Some came dressed is shorts and sandals with no means of transportation and mentioned that they needed the paper signed as some states require so they could continue benefits. There is two sides to everything and sometimes a few mess it up for the good upon whom it was designed for.

Randy88

Old iron has it right, my gripe is and has been with those scamming the system, I don't feel its right they can get away with it, nor I should have to contribute to them cheating the system so to speak against those it was designed for in the first place, I'd have thought those doing the right thing and getting benefits the system was designed for would be appalled their benefits system was being abused, but I guess I should do what most business owners do and just go along with it, shrug it off and say, well its not my system, why should I care, I'm only being inconvenienced dealing with those cheating the system, I should just laugh it off and move on, after a few comments on here, I may have to rethink this whole thing and wonder to myself.

When these types come along, I need to cut them a deal, they agree to never come back and they can just use my business anytime they want for whatever bogus names they need, whenever they need it, nobody will ever check anyhow, {nobody has in the last 30 years} and I won't have to deal with them ever again and its not my system being scammed and if anyone would call, I can tell them, nobody within the system legitimately receiving benefits cares, why should I and besides I'm not doing anything illegal by doing just what I typed and it'll save me countless hours of wasted time and effort dealing with them.

I guess I've been far too critical on this, thinking what they are doing is wrong and by using my business I was somehow defrauding a system set up for employee's who are temporarily out of work, laid off or between jobs who are earnestly looking for work, I guess everyone is included in this system and I should have seen that, those who haven't had a job in decades and never paid a dime in are just as entitled as those who have worked for years and only used the system a few times. I'm seeing its not my judgment call to make.

I think I won't have any problem helping get a few hundred signed up for YOUR benefits in a short time and within a few years a few thousand shouldn't be out of line once word gets out ANYONE can use my business for claiming YOUR benefits.

In a strange sort of way, I have to thank you few that helped me see where I was wrong in thinking I needed to determine right from wrong, I can now sleep much better at night knowing I'm not defrauding your system, nor breaking the law and many more are happy about it, besides other business's are letting them so it must be right, and those within the system are upset by me not letting these types collect or me complaining about these types scamming their program. Sorry for starting this tread, the moderators can shut it down if they wish, I've learned enough by attempting to do the right moral thing, I won't do it again and sorry for upsetting anyone on here.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe it is different there Ken but in most states we worked in the unemployed that were seasonal employee's did not have to do the work search thing. I verified many times each year to unemployment agencies that would send a form letter in various states that the employee would indeed be called back. .

Well here in NY you a suppose to be looking for work unless you have a definite "back to work date". Problem is the outfit I worked for would never give you one. You were lucky to get more than a few days notice, like get a call on Friday saying "See You Monday". And Unemployment Office had you fill out a form listing your qualifications and types of work you did so they could forward you job referrals. Problem is those "desk jockeys" had no idea of what any job really was. More than once I would get a referral for a job that was maintaining equipment in a factory that specified things like programming controls on manufacturing equipment. And those referrals always seemed to come a day or two after I had been called back to work so I have to send a letter explaining why I failed to go in for an interview or else possibly get put on the "naughty list" for next fall.

Then they ask if you are doing anything that could earn you money while collecting unemployment. If you were to sell an old motorcycle or take a load of scrap to the scrap yard you might be penalized if they found out.

But then some major companies are well know for working people just up to the limit of what kicks in the point they are considered full time workers and qualify for various benefits then let them go and hire a new body to fill the position. This all the while keeping the pay rate low enough so that most workers qualify for government assistance so us full time workers pay taxes to support the major companies employees! So who is the real "Welfare Queens"?

I'd better stop before I do get banned for getting political!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
In SC all you do is apply in person ONCE.. Your given a PIN..THEN its all done over the phone w/ recorded msgs..
Are you still unemployed? Y/N
Are you looking for a job? Y/N
THANK YOU.. Your check for "X" will be delivered on or about O/OO/OOOO..
You have "X" weeks left of unemployment benefits remaining.. HAVE A NICE DAY..
Then you given the option of "talking " to a "placement professional"..
How would you like to have THAT JOB?? Just how many people do you think they ACTUALLY TALK TO??
1 maybe 2 a month..?? I'd like to take a look at that dudes browser list.. talk about a waste of money.. LOL

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Its to bad that some states gets stupidly excessive with messing with people that have a job 95% of the time. In Minnesota a union member only has to be registered on the out of work list at the union hall to collect his due benefits without looking for work, unless they have drawn all their earned unemployment claim out and are on a federal extension. Other folks only need an employer to give a approximate date of rehire. Pretty hard for a contractor to know the exact date he can start on any given spring. They normally will not bother folks again a month later than there due to work date if they are still drawing.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
It's not just unemployment that is the issue and being scammed, I believe there is a place for it but it is also abused by many. Tried to get a family member hired on as a porter at a shop I worked at because he cried hard times when he was on unemployment, he all but had the job, only had to show up and sign papers. Decided it wasn't worth it. I believe disability, welfare, foodstamps/ebt, are all abused and poorly regulated. When I work myself ragged everyday and come home and do cash work just to get the ends tied together, it pisses me off when I go buy the essentials at the store and see someone buying steak, beer, tobacco, etc on food stamps which is my tax money, when I'm buying pork and beans and ramen noodles with my money. That being said, people fall on hard times and sometimes need a hand up, but it shouldn't be a lifestyle to live on our tax dollars.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The nature of any government assistance program will fall to the lowest common denominator.

As has been documented on here, the people watching the henhouse, or store, are not motivated to keep it honest. In fact their motivation might be the opposite.

The incentive for those using the system is also backwards. Generally, they have no compelling reason to want to leave it, if they are satisfied with what we could call an 80% lifestyle for zero hours work, why would they want to work 40+ hours for a 100% lifestyle? Diminishing returns.

51kw

Its to bad that some states gets stupidly excessive with messing with people that have a job 95% of the time. In Minnesota a union member only has to be registered on the out of work list at the union hall to collect his due benefits without looking for work, unless they have drawn all their earned unemployment claim out and are on a federal extension. Other folks only need an employer to give a approximate date of rehire. Pretty hard for a contractor to know the exact date he can start on any given spring. They normally will not bother folks again a month later than there due to work date if they are still drawing.

51kw

That is exactly how it works with me as I am a union operator. I sign that I have my dues paid and I am expected to be recalled by my employer. Do not get bothered any more.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I did a dollar store in a very poor part of the city a few years ago. There would be many that would stop by the job and ask if we were hiring, which I wasn't due to the fact I was lucky to land that job and keep my guys busy. They would then ask for a business card, I went through a lot of cards. It was later that I learned my business card was proof they were looking for a job.

I'm sure there were some that were honestly looking for work and some that were scamming the system, that's human nature. I'm looking forward to a robust economy where anyone that truly wants a job can get one and improve their well being. The free loaders will weed themselves out.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'm sure there were some that were honestly looking for work and some that were scamming the system, that's human nature. I'm looking forward to a robust economy where anyone that truly wants a job can get one and improve their well being. The free loaders will weed themselves out.

Me too. It will be good to see some Made in America pride again. Its been to long.

I'm not so optimistic this will happen. There are far too many for whom it has become a way of life. Their voting bloc has become so big that it is an indispensable one.