• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford dump trucks?

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
Hey guys, as some of you might know, I just bought a 10 ton backhoe.
I'm throwing around the idea of getting an old dump truck and equipment trailer to pull it around.
So, comes my question, what do you guys think of an older f800 or L9000 ford dump truck? Will those type of single axle trucks be able to pull hills with 25k behind it?
Not looking for speed btw.
I don't know alot about these older trucks as you can probably tell... but i'm looking forward to seeing you responses!

thanks,
Steve

Btw, was thinking something like this:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1416242490.html

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
In my humble opinion and experience, I would stay away from F800. The L9000 Ford, is usually a good truck to pull this load, if it has the Ford engine, I might stay away from it, if you need the power. Most of these trucks came with a Cummins engine and they should have the power to do the work. I would rather have a tandem axle, for the extra truck weight, to handle the load, but just my 2 cents worth

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
In my humble opinion and experience, I would stay away from F800. The L9000 Ford, is usually a good truck to pull this load, if it has the Ford engine, I might stay away from it, if you need the power. Most of these trucks came with a Cummins engine and they should have the power to do the work. I would rather have a tandem axle, for the extra truck weight, to handle the load, but just my 2 cents worth

What about the F800 don't you like? The power? Or the quality etc?

Please explain.

Thanks!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
What about the F800 don't you like? The power? Or the quality etc?

Please explain.

Thanks!
I guess its what you want and need. If you get a heavy duty truck, to do almost all heavy duty work, then everything is a plus.
As far as the F800, I personally dont think it has the ump, to do what you need. You didnt say what engine they both had, of course the engine is a factor in both cases. The L9000 is a heavy duty truck and the F800 is a Medium duty truck
If either one is a gas stay away from it, the L9000 will be a diesel, but the F800 could be gas or diesel. I have a F800 with a gas 429V8, I havent used it, its something I took on trade, but it probably gets about 6mpg
What trucks are have you found and give details

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
The F800 that I posted in the first post had a detroit diesel in it... would that be able to do it?

Btw, does anyone know the GVWR of the two vehicles?

Thanks!

Btw, The heaviest thing it would need to do is pull the tractor, it will not be constant use at all... maybe every 2 weeks IF that. Maybe every 2 months at the norm. I'm building my own house in the woods, I'm not a contractor using it 3 times a day. I just want the capability to do it.

Does anyone know the ratings of both of them.

Thanks again, this is helping alot!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My opinion differs from Willis, I'd say either truck will do the job if the GVWR is 32,000 or more. My favorite truck to drive was the Louisville Ford, the cab is roomy, controls are right where you'd expect them to be and the visibility was the best of any truck I drove. The L-8000 will have either the Cat 3208 (which I've never liked) or the Ford inline 6 diesel. I've read good things about the Ford diesel, it's not a powerhouse but engines from that era weren't. It makes good torque and from most reports is a reliable efficient engine.

Moving up to the L-9000 will get you into the other engine manufacturers like Cummins, Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel and heavier duty components.

The F-800 will have either a 3208 Cat or the Ford 6 again, or possibly a small Detroit or Cummins. I'd avoid any truck with the 3208, we had a yard shifter where I worked that had one that had to be replaced annually, plus it smoked worse than any engine I've known. The F-Series truck use the pickup cab so it is smaller and not quite as comfortable.

One thing to be wary of is the empty weight. The F-Series will be lighter than the L which means more legal payload given the same GVWR.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The smaller Cats as would be in the GMC just don't have a good reputation for reliability. I think it will be a 3116 in that truck, a search here for that engine will turn up quite a few reports of problems.

Make sure any truck you're looking at has at least 32,000 GVWR.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
truck

I like the second truck better, than the first. Biggest reason it has the Cummins engine. It is a 1977 vs a 1990, but as Steve F stated, that Cat 3116 is not a good engine. I was just reading my posts and trying to figure out what I said different than Steve F. Must be nite nite time, I didnt see much difference in our replies, except he said either would do. Anyway I agree with everything he said.:)
I wouldnt have a problem buying a 1977 truck, if it was in good condition, its not a real bad price. My first quad was a 1977 Ford L9000, with a Cummins 400. This was just 3 years ago and I sold it and upgraded to a 97 Ford L9000 quad, for almost the same money. The 1977 was in good condition, so thats why I got good money for it.
I really like the Ford trucks, they just seem to be easier to drive, in close places, but make sure what ever you buy, thats its in good condition.
Stay away from older Detroits, Cat 3208 and 3116. I probrably will get some flack about this, but just read other posts, they are bad engines, with no power:usa

nedly05

Of all the trucks you posted links for that '77 is the best IMO. (plus those floters make it look cool!) my next choice would be the GMC, although without an exhaust brake I would stay away from it, especially if you are in the hills towing a 10 ton machine on a trailer. If I were you I think I would be looking into that '77, for the money it looks like a good truck.

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
Thanks alot guys... this really helps.

Now, if you were to put the engines in quality order would it be, cummins, detroit, cat 3208, 3116. (I know not all cat's are "bad" - or are they?)

ben46a

Cat 3306s, 3406s are good solid performers and quite reliable. 3126s arent bad in 21 or 250 horse single axle applications but ring any more out of them and they fall apart. Id imagin the detroit you mean is the old V8 fuel pincher. They are much like the 3208, though good on fuel, they smoke and are gutless and dont last. I would think that GMC is a 3208. The cummins arent a bad little engine though. If the cab is in good shape that LN9000 would make a good truck.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Each manufacturer has different model engines so listing them by brand only doesn't really work. In general, I've been a fan of Cummins 6 cylinders, but they had a V-903 that didn't make much power and was problematic. They weren't used an awful lot so you're not likely to come across one but the possibility is there.

The Cat 3406 is a good strong engine, but they are a bit noisier and use more fuel than a similar horsepower Cummins.

You might come across a 6V53 Detroit in an older truck, that would be one to stay away from. It's extremely noisy and doesn't make much power, you'll be bonkers at the end of the day driving a truck with one. The 71 Series engines are better but still pretty noisy, plus they commonly leak oil. The 92 Series is a good engine, I've driven trucks with a 6V92 that would stay with a Cummins of the same horsepower. The 60 Series Detroit is a well respected engine, it's the one Detroit initiated their 4 stroke diesels with.

I still think the Ford diesel is a good choice too, it was used in the agricultural division for years before being adapted for truck use.

Steve G.

COPPA
Occupation
Electrical
What's the difference between an L9000 and an LN9000?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Trim level is all, like an XL vs. XLT in the pickups.

An LT or LNT will be a tandem rear truck, an LS or LTS will have a set back front axle for a tighter turning radius.

aja458

ford 7.8l help needed

I need help my 1988 ford l-8000-recently just shut off.seems like a fuel pump problem, my problem...........where is the fuel pump located on this beast?it has a bosch 908 injection pump-thanks

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
not sure what engine you have, but most all engines have a fuel solenoid on the back of the fuel control. Its usually a one wire connection, check power to the wire, with the switch on. I had a Ford with a Cat 3306 and it would run find and going down the road, it would sometimes just cut off, at first after a few minutes it would start. I checked the resetable breaker and it had the wrong breaker installed (too low of amperage) Later on, I also had a problem with the power wire going to the solenoid, it chaffed the insulation and would short out. Installed new wire and havent had any issues in two years.
On another Ford, I had the fuel solenoid go out.
Check this out first and post what kind of engine it is, is it a electric fuel cut off, or do you pull a cable to shut it off?

aja458

sorry its a 7.8 l ford motor. it has a cable shutoff. I was able to refill the lines using the handpump(primer) connecting the lines to a bucket full of fuel. it ended up running till it ran out of fuel-which tells me its a fuel pump issue