• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford A-66 specs and parts?

lhlcr

Hey RocksnRoses can you send me the specs of the a-66?

Do you recommend this loader for working on a rock crusher?

Thanks

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Hey RocksnRoses can you send me the specs of the a-66?

Do you recommend this loader for working on a rock crusher?

Thanks

The specs have been sent.

This loader would be fine for feeding a crusher, it really depends on the capacity of the crusher and the size of the material you are handling.

RnR.

AdamsExcavating

R&R, do you have any other literature on these loaders? I ended up buying an A-64, And would like to find out the model year. Do you have a way to tell that by the serial number or anything?

curbappeal

A66 trans fix

So I finally fixed the trans on the A66 for much less than expected. Everyone wanted to rebuid the unit and I replaced the charge pump originally with no luck in fixing the machine. It ended up being the main valve assembally. They wanted almost $2k for a rebuilt one so I bought the parts for $250 and fixed it myself. Pretty easy fix as you can get it off and on without pulling the trans. It is kind of a bugger to get at all the bolts but doable. The have aluminum valves and will get gaulded up if some foreign materials get in there so I took out the valve bodies and buffed the ports by hand (as they were pretty scored) and reinstalled new valves. Put it back together and no lack of power anymore! It will break loose all the tires while digging! Thank God! Total cost was under $1000 and the most of it was $600 for a charge pump that I probably didn't need. Well back to digging!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
R&R, do you have any other literature on these loaders? I ended up buying an A-64, And would like to find out the model year. Do you have a way to tell that by the serial number or anything?

I do have a rather faded black and white brochure I could scan if you are interested. I have no way of telling the year of manufacture, but I did find on Google that the first A62 was manufactured in 1974, the A64 and A66 were introduced in the next two years and were produced until 1986 when Ford took over New Holland.

RnR.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
So I finally fixed the trans on the A66 for much less than expected. Everyone wanted to rebuid the unit and I replaced the charge pump originally with no luck in fixing the machine. It ended up being the main valve assembally. They wanted almost $2k for a rebuilt one so I bought the parts for $250 and fixed it myself. Pretty easy fix as you can get it off and on without pulling the trans. It is kind of a bugger to get at all the bolts but doable. The have aluminum valves and will get gaulded up if some foreign materials get in there so I took out the valve bodies and buffed the ports by hand (as they were pretty scored) and reinstalled new valves. Put it back together and no lack of power anymore! It will break loose all the tires while digging! Thank God! Total cost was under $1000 and the most of it was $600 for a charge pump that I probably didn't need. Well back to digging!

Glad to here you got the problem fixed with minimal cost, curbappeal. One of ours was fairly soft in the transmission when we traded it, that could have been the problem. We had two A64's and I really liked them as a loader, they did a lot of hard work for us.

RnR.

AdamsExcavating

RnR...the motor seems to be bad in the one we bought (knowing this when we bought it) And we were wondering what we can use to replace it with? Will a 6.6L diesel from a truck interchange without major problems?

RocksnRoses

Occupation
RnR...the motor seems to be bad in the one we bought (knowing this when we bought it) And we were wondering what we can use to replace it with? Will a 6.6L diesel from a truck interchange without major problems?

I really can' help you there, but anything is possible, if you had an engine available, it could be cost effective. The hardest part might be getting the torque convertor mated up to the engine. The 401 was a fairly common engine, Ford fitted it to loaders and farm tractors, I'm not sure if they had a truck version, it might be more cost effective to find another one of those or re-build the one you have.

RnR.

AdamsExcavating

Well, from what i've found out. the 6.6's from the truck's won't work. My motor, wouldn't even start in the machine. So once i tore it apart, the rings fell right out of the block once we took the pistons out. Needless to say, it didn't have enough compression to start. And come to find out, the motor has already been rebuilt twice, and cannot be bored again with out boring out more, and sleeving, which isn't a good idea because of the block being so porous. So, i was wondering if you, or anyone else on here has, or know where i can find a good complete engine, or parts including a good block for mine. My loader is an A64, but an A66 engine would also work. Thanks.

mkvien

I have an A64 that I have used around the house to do some dirt work, haul a little scrap iron, etc. I bought it 7-8 years ago, and probably use it about 20 hours a year on the average. I have the quick attach system that runs with a lever from the cab, go between a large dirt blade (think it is from a D8 CAT), the bucket, and a set of 8' long forks.

Mine has always started and ran well, but I figured I would share my engine problems. I was driving between my folk's place and mine (about 4 miles) a few years ago and white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. Long story short, there had developed a hole the size of a wooden pencil lead in the bottom of one of the water jackets and the coolant would run into the oil pan very quickly. After I finally figured this out, a JB Weld injection into the water jacket from the oil pan side and it's still holding. I don't run any coolant pressure, as I don't need to with the small amount I run it in northern MN, that might help it last longer.

Next project will be center pivot pins in the thing, anyone ever done that project? My loader pins are tight, but the center one knocks around quite a bit and I think I shoudl replace before it wrecks everything around there.

Matt

Bubbarick

Ford A62 specs

G'day Chris, crikey, you are really taxing the memory bank now, it has been many years since we ran the Fords. I am wondering if the oil is going into the engine, or into the diffs. I am fairly sure we had a lot of problems with the oil going into the diffs. There are large "O" rings on the hydraulic brake pressure plates in the diffs and when they let go, the oil pushes past. From memory, we used the diff oil, which is around SAE 30 consistency, in the hydraulic brake resevoir, so that it was compatible with the diff oil, when they leaked and we would have to drain the surplus oil out of the diff every now and then. If the oil is going into the engine, it should only be a matter of replacing the seal on the pump drive shaft, but if it is going into the diff, well the whole thing has to come apart. I never did like their internal brakes.

RnR.

Hi, I need to know the capacity for transmission fluid in the Ford a62 loader, do you know how many gallons it takes?

Ford Loader Guy

Ford A64 loader

Can you please send me specs/manual on Ford A64 loader, my brakes are leaking really bad and I need to fix them thank you

Ford Loader Guy

Brakes leaking, only last 30min before need topping up again with oil

To fix front brake seal on the ford A64 loader, do I need to pull wheel off and pull apart diff to get at seal, or can I just undo where the brake line runs into the housing

RocksnRoses

Occupation
I missed your previous post, Ford Loader Guy, I only have the spec sheets for the loaders, no workshop manuals. As far as I know, you will have to take the diff out and split it, to put new seal rings in the brakes. They are in the centre of the diff. I have never done this myself, but we have had them overhauled, we took the whole axle out and sent it away.

RnR.

nath_greenlaw

I meant to ask if RocksnRoses could please send me the specs on a 64 loader. My wording is a little off on the original question. Sorry about that.