• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555b transmission help needed

jimg984

that part will be a dealer item,,,,,,,http://www.messicks.com/,,,,,,,,,could be in the controls for the dump (transmission by pass valve) as by my previos post switch on lever for front bucket,,,brake pedal and maybe a foor switch on floor board i'm sure a person with knowage to rebuild the items that you posted would know about this transmission by pass valve

anlricks

Occupation
Lawenforcement
555b Backhoe Dump Valve

I have narrowed down a problem with my 555b backhoe to the Dump valve not working.
Can anyone tell me how to tell if the tractor has a syncronazed transmision or not.
New Holland has two diffrent one and need to know if it is or not

Thanks

anlricks, I merged this post and the next post by jimg984 from a new thread you had started with this thread. The subject of your post is directly related to this thread that you have already started and did not need a new thread. Please avoid starting new threads concerning a topic you are already working with at another thread as it causes info to be separated and near impossible for readers to follow. Thanks, Willie59

Last edited by a moderator:

anlricks

Occupation
Lawenforcement
Picked up the hoe today. the poor guy I bought her from spent thousands on rtepairs. I crawled under her and found the wires to the dump valce sylinoid were cut. Going to hook them up tomorrow. I think this will solve the issue of no movement.

anlricks

Occupation
Lawenforcement
Not sure yet. Just got her home. Sure think so. All the wiring to it and to the lever and floor switch was all cut away. Instead of fixing this problem the previous owners great mechanic broke the tractor and bypassed the dump valve somehow. Now I hav to break it apart again and undo that and then replace the sylinoid and wiring.

jimg984

i think what was by passed would be the controls [foot switch, and dump lever switch] also the for wiring for controls,, i would say its impossible to bypass internal on that solenoid valve...........you need someone with knowledge to trouble shoot that solenoid valve,,,,,,,,,as i said from the start hard to believe that someone with enough knowledge to replace those parts would miss a solenoid valve that controls movement,,,,, this a shuttle shift from forward to reverse?????

anlricks

Occupation
Lawenforcement
Thanks I said the same thing the guy he was paying to work on it wound up selling him a newer backhoe. Think this was his intention the whole time. I have ordered a new sylinoid, all the wiring is trashed guess ill oreder that and replace it all maby ill have her moving again if they didn't mess something else up.

Steveh

I have a 1986 555b. Runs fine when it's cold, gets hot, dumps the hydraulic fluid out of the bell housing. What could be my problem?? Need help ASAP. Thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Steveh.

If you have fluid coming from bell housing, likely it's tranny fluid and not hyd fluid as hyd reservoir, pump, and oil cooler is at front of machine. If it's a torque convertor model, which likely it is, could be a number of things that would cause that leak. Sadly, there's no good way to look inside convertor housing to get an idea of what problem is. I think there's a small rectangular cover on bottom of convertor housing, but it doesn't offer much of a view of the innards. And in any case, would likely have to split the tractor to fix the problem.

Steveh

Thanks willie 59. It looks like they use the hydraulic fluid for tranny fluid for the torque convertor and the clutch packs. I have split the tractor thinking I would see the problem but there's nothing definite that I can see. Maybe the seal on the pump is the problem or the torque convertor is heating up and pushing the fluid out around the seal on the shaft. Thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's the problem with those machines, you can't get a good look to tell what the problem is, only know "where" the problem is. So you have to split the tractor. When you do that, replace every seal on every component in that area. And, although it's steel, take a close look at torque convertor. Rarely do steel convertors crack, but if you have the bucks to replace it, do it now while you have the machine in two pieces. And I would look at replacing engine rear crank seal while you have it busted as well.

Steveh

I am going to get the parts today and put it back together, leave the inspection plates off and run it and see what it does.
thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

fireguy5971

I have a similar problem. 1988 ford 555b doesn't move in forward or reverse, checked the output pressure at the dump valve and got 150 psi at high or low rpm. The manual states 90 psi at 800 rpm then 135 psi at 1600 rpm then 145-165 psi at 2100 rpm.My pressure seems a bit high but I may not have allowed the trans temp to come up enough. Checked the dump valve and I get action on the spool when the switches are pressed and all the parts visually seem ok. If I'm getting pressure at the dump valve that means my drive plate must be ok and therefore if my oil distributor is working I should be getting pressure to my torque converter. Is it possible for the torque converter to be so badly damaged internally that the machine wont move at all? The transmission fluid looks fine and doesn't smell burnt. Also even if the forward and reversing clutches were worn wouldn't there be some movement in the machine? I purchased the machine in this condition and don't know much about the history. I'll be separating the machine today but I'm not sure how to test the components once i have it apart other than to visually inspect. Just trying to not blindly replacing parts, any ideas would be much appreciated. Tom