• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 550 keeps stalling

Dadof6

Having a continuous issue with my 550 stalling out after an hour or so. She'll run fine for a while then I can hear a change in the engine and it starts sounding like it's running out of fuel. Then when I try to restart it sounds as if it's loading up with fuel. Sometimes if I drain the fuel filter it will start back up, sometimes it just has to sit for a while. Any suggestions?

Delmer

"gas cap"??? If it runs for a whole hour, that's my guess. Otherwise, junk floating around the tank plugging up the screen?

A picture of the injection pump, or the serial number will help.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I should have paid attention to the category! Haha

I know certain style injector pumps have issues and begin to return too much fuel causing similar symptoms. One of the ways I check that is to crack a bleeder or side cover to let some fuel out and see if it'll run. You're accomplishing a similar thing with the filter. Pumpguy will chime in I'm sure. Anytime I've had similar symptoms it ended up with rebuilt pump.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Start at the tank and work forward. Siphon some fuel off the bottom to check for water and trash. Blow out the lines and replace the fuel filter. If it has any banjo fittings make sure they are not clogged.

jimg984

check to see excess fuel from injector pump is returning to fuel tank remove fuel tank cap should see small amount of fuel from pump at the fuel neck while running most have a hard plastic line over the years and get flatten from age and heat from engine

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I saw this thread when it was 1st posted.. but I didn't have a definitive answer.. still don't..
UNLESS theres a blockage in the tank any "normal" problem wont wait an hour to show up..
There IS a mesh filter screen under the inlet nut, but it will usually show its ugly head within minutes/seconds of operation, if its clogged..
NOT an hour..
IF your going to check it, you HAVE TO remove the big spring under the nut and HOLD DOWN the guts w/ a small screwdriver and using a 90* scribe or pick, fish out the plastic filter along the outside of the guts..
Dirty filters, bad lift pump, floaters in the tank, clogged inlet/return line, unvented fuel tank cap..
Some of these units have a filter screen in the shut-off tap coming out of the fuel tank.. you could siphon out the fuel or pull the line and unscrew it from the tank and see..
Does the inj. pump have a pull cable shut down or electric? IF its a pull cable, I've seen them vibrate to the shut-off position if theres no spring on it.. Normally on Fords theres a helper spring that connects to the small hole on the shut off lever that runs to the throttle lever, to keep tension on the sh-off lever to the run position until pulled..
Wish I could be more specific but it looks like this is a hunting expedition.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If it has the Roosa Master/Stanadyne style pump as most vintage age tractor diesels did then you are experiencing internal shaft coupler self destruction. The pump will have a rectangular top cover with a small fitting feeding a return fuel line, take that line off and pull the fitting. Inside the fitting you will see trash loading into a spring and check ball, clear the debris and reinstall you will be good for a time but this is a short term must have use of the machine for now fix. The only true fix is bring engine up on #1 time, check the injector pump scribed marks and adjust as needed to get on the mark, pull the pump and take to a reputable injection shop for rebuild. The CAV style pump I do not believe had this issue but a call to a injection shop could clear that up.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
By my research its a CAV/Delphi pump.. BUT, as usual, we never get all the information..
I'm getting use to it.. but dam its hard..
I have a car and I need a spark plug.. WHAT??
Its getting so bad, I went to get brake pads for my 95' Bronco, I gave them the year, the engine size + 4WD, Eddie Bower addition..
They wanted to know if it had AIR CONDITIONING..!! Well of course it does, its an Eddie Bower addition DUMB A..!!
THEN, the next question was> how big are the rotors?? WTF??

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
LOL, I have been in those shoes before, ALL TOO OFTEN! It's when they ask your shorts size that I begin to worry!

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I've gotten so frustrated with parts persons that I do all the work for them (if I have time) just give a list of part numbers. I suppose I'm making it worse for everyone!

I've had a few service calls in the last year where the machine owner said it just died like it ran out of fuel. Ask if they dipped the tank and they assure me it has fuel. I get there and sure enough out of fuel!

Got one of my farm tractors real cheap because of this as well!! Should have seen the guys face when I had it running in 15mins! After I had paid for it of course!

Only thing I can add to this thread is..

If it sounds like it's running out of fuel, it probably is for one reason or another!