• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4500

mitch504

I've never seen a listing for o-ring sizes, other than some equipment manufacturers put them in parts books. usually you take them out and go to a parts store or hydraulics shop and match them up. you can look up the parts books on line. Messicks.com is a good place.

Hoe-4-Sho

Another question. What about packings on the rams? Specifically, the crowd cylinder and lift cylinder? The guy I bought it from said I could go to NAPA and find one. Any truth to this? Both are leaking fluid out pretty bad.

mitch504

Not any NAPA store I've been to, but if yours does cylinder work they should have them. Any local hydraulics shop can match up what you take out. These people sell them by application and are good to work with, I order from them frequently.

https://www.baumhydraulics.com

level

A friend of mine is selling a Ford 4500 and I was wanting to purchase the backhoe but I did not know what a reasonable price would be. The backhoe runs good and seems to be strong. The tires are pretty worn and as of right now the clutch is stuck. He said that he would sell it to me for $3000. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Thanks in advance for the help.

mitch504

If it's in good shape, $3000 sounds like a deal. USUALLY a stuck clutch can be remedied by holding the pedal down and driving around bumping into things.

TOOLMAKER4

hi sorry to jump in but I have been searching for two weeks for info and just found this thread. I have a manufacture date of feb. 1970 ford 4500 backhoe. I have had it for 25years and it is the best machine I have ever owned. the picture of #26 by ford 4500 of his distributor type fuel pump Is the same one I have. the pump is leaking out of the left side inlet cover pretty bad. the tractor runs great but leaks more fuel than it uses. can this cover be removed on the tractor and a o-ring or something be replaced. I have a complete set of for shop manuals for this unit but it doesn't cover the internals of this pump. I have done a lot of repairs over the years to this unit but am getting up in years and would like to be able to use it again without major cost. As I live in a very small town with our post office on the neighbors front porch and no retail stores of any kind close by taking the tractor some where would require hauling it several hours to the nearest repair center.(I don't have a trailor)any help would be a life saver as I use this tractor all the time on my self sustaining life here on my farm.

chuck172

hi sorry to jump in but I have been searching for two weeks for info and just found this thread. I have a manufacture date of feb. 1970 ford 4500 backhoe. I have had it for 25years and it is the best machine I have ever owned. the picture of #26 by ford 4500 of his distributor type fuel pump Is the same one I have. the pump is leaking out of the left side inlet cover pretty bad. the tractor runs great but leaks more fuel than it uses. can this cover be removed on the tractor and a o-ring or something be replaced. I have a complete set of for shop manuals for this unit but it doesn't cover the internals of this pump. I have done a lot of repairs over the years to this unit but am getting up in years and would like to be able to use it again without major cost. As I live in a very small town with our post office on the neighbors front porch and no retail stores of any kind close by taking the tractor some where would require hauling it several hours to the nearest repair center.(I don't have a trailor)any help would be a life saver as I use this tractor all the time on my self sustaining life here on my farm.
I had the same problem with my 4500. Leaking like crazy. Finally had no choice but to remove the top cover. I bought some o-rings from grainger, did the repair and replaced the top cover. Then it would not start. I spent hours trying to fix it. No fuel to the injectors. To make a long story short, if I would have carefully removed the cover, took pictures, replaced the o-ring, it would have been simple. I didn't do the picture part. Don't be afraid of this fix, just go slow and take pictures. You can do it easily.

TOOLMAKER4

1970 ford 4500 backhoe

I had the same problem with my 4500. Leaking like crazy. Finally had no choice but to remove the top cover. I bought some o-rings from grainger, did the repair and replaced the top cover. Then it would not start. I spent hours trying to fix it. No fuel to the injectors. To make a long story short, if I would have carefully removed the cover, took pictures, replaced the o-ring, it would have been simple. I didn't do the picture part. Don't be afraid of this fix, just go slow and take pictures. You can do it easily.

I started by removing the left side inlet cap while still on the tractor. I found a flat seal similar in design to a oil filter seal (except much smaller) it was punctured by the split pin in the cap when installed. I had a thermostat seal the same size and replaced it. reassembled the end cap and no leaks (for the last 20hrs +)of hard running. thanks for the responses all.