• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

FORD 4500 - New power steering pump setup

4500GUY

Hi Guys,

I am replacing the old power steering pump with a new unit on my 1975 Ford 4500. This is the type with its own reservoir. My question is do I need to do anything special in regards to the pump and relief valve? Can I just fill the unit with fluid and keep an eye on the level until all the air has been bled out? Any help will be most appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Dave, usually with new parts, they are plug & play.
It should be factory pre-set, if it is'nt there should be a notice with the new parts advising to check & adjust.

csthompson12

I'm thinking of replacing mine on my '75 4500 as well. Mine does seem week, and it also tends to blow oil out of the fill cap. Has anyone had that happen before???