1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Folding Ramp Project

Discussion in 'Track Loaders' started by Metalman 55, Mar 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM.

1. Metalman 55

Metalman 55 Senior Member

This is a folding ramp project that I helped my nephew with, which is installed on a new to him flatbed truck that he plans to use to move his bobcat CTL & Mini Excavator around with. He had a smaller flatbed truck used similarly, but with just some steel pullout ramps that hooked over the back (& much harder on his back!).

I made the drawing for him & our shop cut all the hss & plate work for the project & also we had a local cutting shop plasma cut the profile plates & he did all the fabricating & welding.

The power unit is 12V DC which runs the hydraulic fold system.

This morning we did some finish welding on some tight spots with stick welding as he only has a mig & could not reach in the narrow places.

We used my old 941 Loader to assist with the final assembly after the welding was completed.

Attached Files:

redneckracin likes this.
  2. Metalman 55

Few more pics.......

Attached Files:

redneckracin likes this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Nuclear
    I like it! Would have considered a pivot point to keep the ramps somewhat folded out when lowering or possibly a shallow spring load to kick them a bit open as lower. At this point could add a small kicker lever off the hydraulics to do just that and save some back/extra body time but hell, Looks Great!!

4. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Do you have a safety pin or chain to prevent the ramps from falling in the event of a hyd. problem? It would also take the load off the extended cylinder.

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Nuclear
    I can hear it already, Damn armchair Quarterbacks!!!:)

6. Metalman 55

Yesterday was the maiden voyage for the new ramp system. More changes for helping the "unfold process" are unfolding!! Also a lock system for the holding the ramps in the folded up position are being worked on as we speak.................stay tuned!!

7. Metalman 55

Here we are again after a few more refinements have been made. He will find a way to attach & support the chains which aid the lowering in a more permanent manner.......all a process of working the bugs out of the system.:) He just has some painting to do & its off to work again!

1965IHdiesel, DMiller and auen1 like this.
  8. f311fr1

f311fr1 Well-Known Member

9. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

The fold down chains really help, I was wondering after the first video how you were going to kick those out- looks good.

10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Nuclear
    I am taking notes!!;)

11. Metalman 55

Don't tell me that you are thinking about putting a truck on the road to move that 7G around now are you?? I have the plans here for you if you decide too!!

12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Nuclear
    NOT Hardly!!,, I have been on a side shift in a crawler with slick shoes on steel ramps, NOT Fun!! Would look and work nice on a low boy to get the height down at the rear though! Would be a wee bit shorter.