• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flat faced coupler

Dlc2cg5

Occupation
Retired
I just replaced the couplers on my machine and only had a few hours on the new ones and blew out a seal on the female (oil in my face). The coupler is a Parker FEM 501 and no one had a seal or could not order one either. Is that a throw a way part now a days? It seemed to be an in between size that my assortment has and same at repair places.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Should be a square cut seal in there I believe. I don't know anyone that rebuilds that type of coupler any more. Hydraulic repair shop may have some seals, or some of the CAT kits may have.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Some of the Parker Fittings were two piece. I hated them.

Graham1

There are a lot of cheap flat faced couplers out there, but you get what you pay for. I've tried loads and the only ones I've found any good are Holmbury, but I'm not sure if you get them where you are.
Graham

knuckles

Hey guys, on the subject of FF couplers, I've recently purchased a new snow blade with hydraulic lines and discovered that the male FF coupler on my machine is damaged. (pix attached) Didn't notice this when I purchase the machine a year ago. (Bobcat 863 G series) I'm trying to figure out what the replacement coupler should be, and how to go about removing the old one. The best match I've found so far is the Summit Hydraulics #10-JIC (FF12-10J) or the #12-JIC (FF12-12J) Anybody have experience with replacing these type couplers? I'm not sure which one to order, and also how to go about pulling the old one from the bulkhead plate without having a bunch of hydraulic fluid leak out. Is there a hydraulic line plug I can order to thread into the supply line while pulling the damaged coupler? Would appreciate any insights from folks that have already been there and done that before I reinvent the wheel.

Attachments

• Bobcat 863-damaged FF coupler.jpg
    Bobcat 863-damaged FF coupler.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Bobcat-damaged cplr w-dimensions.jpg
    Bobcat-damaged cplr w-dimensions.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
  • FF12-12J-Main.jpg
    FF12-12J-Main.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 42
  • FF12-10J-Main.jpg
    FF12-10J-Main.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 40

Dlc2cg5

Occupation
Retired
I am no machanic but you really do need new couplers. As for repair just start taking them apart. If you don’t have a thin enough. Wrench to hold the bulk head then you will need to take the hole thing apart. No big deal and as far as oil and needing to be capped I wouldn’t worry about it just have new parts ready to go on.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
If it starts leaking to bad. When you are changing it. Put a shop vac on the hyd fill hole.

DIYDAVE

wow, that's about the worst case of rattle-itis I ever seen. When I did mine, a coupla years ago, I took a shop rag and an alignment punch (tapered), and removed the fitting, stuffed the rag wrapped around the punch, into the hole, to stop leak, then took the fitting in question to the colliflower store, and matched it up, there. They at least ain't as hateful on price as a stealer er dealer...

crewchief888

Hey guys, on the subject of FF couplers, I've recently purchased a new snow blade with hydraulic lines and discovered that the male FF coupler on my machine is damaged. (pix attached) Didn't notice this when I purchase the machine a year ago. (Bobcat 863 G series) I'm trying to figure out what the replacement coupler should be, and how to go about removing the old one. The best match I've found so far is the Summit Hydraulics #10-JIC (FF12-10J) or the #12-JIC (FF12-12J) Anybody have experience with replacing these type couplers? I'm not sure which one to order, and also how to go about pulling the old one from the bulkhead plate without having a bunch of hydraulic fluid leak out. Is there a hydraulic line plug I can order to thread into the supply line while pulling the damaged coupler? Would appreciate any insights from folks that have already been there and done that before I reinvent the wheel.

that particular one is a one piece type, the coupler and bulkhead fitting dont come apart.
they can be replaced with a bulkhead connector and coupler, IF you can find a long bulkead fitting
most of the time, it's just easier to get the correct coupler from the dealer.

:eek:

steveman1

I don't think they're throw-away parts. Idk I get mine from Titan Fittings. They're compatible with Parker fittings but not the same manufacturer, but I haven't had any leaks from mine yet.