• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixing Pumps over the phone

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If I can't sleep at night after the thought of doing something like that let alone the act of it I won't do it. I have a conscious just like y'all. Karma is a biotch!

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
If I can't sleep at night after the thought of doing something like that let alone the act of it I won't do it. I have a conscious just like y'all. Karma is a biotch!
For sure. I remember THE FIRST engine I built for a customer, a CAT C7. Shipped it to Florida for an ice truck. I didn't have the tooling or know how to change the rod pin bushings, I was freakin' out and thought the engine was going to blow. Turns out its still running and it's actually pretty common for shops even dealers to leave the bushings alone if their condition isn't too alarming.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I guess we all have stories like this, it just hit me REAL hard when he told me he charged 1000.00 for something he didn't do..
I was relaying this story to a guy at work & he told me one>>
He would get calls in the evening also.. 1 nite an independent called him about a Cummins truck that wouldn't start.. He relayed the info about the compressor coupling might have snapped & not driving the inj. pump??
So my buddy rides over there & finds the brass elbow at the pump inlet, cracked at the threads.. replaces the 2.00 elbow & fires up the truck & leaves.. About 3 hrs later he gets a call from the shop owner to come over.. The shop owner had taken & masked off the engine around the air compressor & pump.. & painted it..
& charged his customer 3 GRAND.!!!! & told my buddy>> THATS how you make money Son..

DIYDAVE

Usedta have a electrical rebuilder, who when he had a starter or generator, with bad insulation, on fields, would take matchbook covers, and insert between field and housing, paint and call it a rebuild. He's outta business, now, but every once in a while the guy I take mine to will show mw one of the matchbook rebuilds, that has popped up...

td25c

Now if "someone" was to call me from Conn.. Indiana, N. Carolina, or Texas.. I'd answer the questions..
15 miles down the road?? they can KMA.. I'm done.

We had a little trouble with the Ford 4000 tractor . " Lucas CAV pump ". She was surging on RPM's like it was about out of fuel ?
Checked the tank , had 3 or 4 gallons in it yet .
Got lucky this time , installed new fuel filter & she's fine now .

Was afraid to call but see I'm still on the list :)

Know completely what you are dealing with thepumpguysc :(

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Just to save your faith in humanity, I had a late model Bosch that was loosing power after a half hour or so of full load but had good fuel supply going to it. I couldn't see anything wrong externally so I called my local shop owner and ran it by him. Told me it was likely a slight air leak at the tank draw tube (top draw). Sure enough, I dropped the tank and the suction hose had compressed over time and the clamp had loosened. I could see tiny bubbles :D going into the clear prescreen element. Tightened everything down good and called it ready for field trial as I couldn't take it home and run it on my dyno. Owner called me today and said it was running great. They had tried everything they could think of to no avail. Talked to my local pump guy soon after and told him I was writing a charge into my bill for him! I figure a half hour of his rate will keep the info coming. We collaborate and I do a lot of his field R&R's but still like to give credit where and to who its due.:)
Side note, my bill won't make my weeks pay!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Back in the early 80"s when I first started, I worked for an international co. doing fuel injection work in Florida.. THEY had a tech. dept & a guy manning the phones for 8 hrs & it was a "pay to play" gig..
When you called & asked a question & he knew the answer or the procedure, you gave him you cc # & then proceeded.. I "jokingly" said that to a few guys over the phone.. "I'm gonna need you cc#"... The response was less than kind..
I have 1 guy calling me right now.. he's been trying to get his pump off for 3 WEEKS now.. I get 2-3 calls from him EVERY weekend.. I finally told him.. sorry I don't give out any information.. IF you would like me to COME THERE, OK.. OR you could bring me the tractor.. Then the song & dance & sad stories started..
My trailer got stolen, my brothers trailer got stolen, its got flat tires... bla, bla, bla... I said, MY TRUCK runs just fine.. goodbye..

mitch504

I DO AGREE w/ you Twisted.. but 100% are independent TRACTOR mechanics.. they SHOULD BE bringing the stuff to ME..
I don't call THEM to fix a tractor.. hydr. brakes, ignition.. stick w/ what ya know..
Like was said.. a hack is a hack.. I'm done w/ these guys..
Now if "someone" was to call me from Conn.. Indiana, N. Carolina, or Texas.. I'd answer the questions..
15 miles down the road?? they can KMA.. I'm done.

Hey man, just checking, 62 miles down the road is still ok, though, right? :D

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Yeah, we're good Mitch.. I especially like talking to you on the phone.. at least you know your sh**.. & we can converse apples to apples..
& besides, you've never called me & said, HEY, I got my pump torn apart & scattered across the work bench.. How do I get it back together?? lol.
Its mainly the ones that shouldn't be holding a wrench to begin with, that bother me the most.. & want everything for free..
Quite often I have to stop them & put them back in their place.. LOOK BUDDY, I didn't break the tractor.!!!

ScottAR

Its mainly the ones that shouldn't be holding a wrench to begin with, that bother me the most.. & want everything for free..
Quite often I have to stop them & put them back in their place.. LOOK BUDDY, I didn't break the tractor.!!!
Replace tractor with car/truck and I get at least a couple of these a day. There's a great fake phone call vid on facebook that's not quite safe for public viewing but exactly on point about the average phone call a parts counterman will get.

I remember George Carlin who said " Think about how dumb the average person is and you realize half of them are dumber than that." Sometimes I see that person in the mirror but that's a story for another day.

Be nice to counterpeople, we might have just got off the phone with an idiot.

Truck Shop

I have seen way too much of this crap with "Hydraulic shops" For some reason Hydraulics are Black Magic also. I have seen more than one shop (all out of business now as it should be) screw people over by doing the old "ring and roll" thing. Clean a pump or motor with Brakleen and paint it. 2-3K for a relief valve adjustment. Yep... I've seen that. Been told once or twice "If your honest, you wont make money" That's just so wrong in many ways.

I've had a few bosses ask me to lie and or help with screwing a customer over-no joke. My reply to them was {then you have to let me know when it's ok to lie to you}.
Each time I loaded my tools and moved on because you know your the next target to get screwed over.

Truck Shop

thepumpguysc

Occupation
TS> I HAD TO do that for YEARS.. pencil whip warranty forms.. until I got sick of it & told him NO..
I kept a log w/ job #'s, actual problem & customers name.. I still have it..
I should have heeded you advise & moved on 20 years ago.. lol

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The phones have been REAL QUIET for the last couple of weeks, since I started the "NO pumps repaired over the phone" policy..
I even had several emails from folks wanting my tele # to discuss their problem.. I DO give it to them BUT remind them.. I don't sell parts & I don't fix pumps over the phone.. I haven't had 1 person call me.. lol

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
& besides, you've never called me & said, HEY, I got my pump torn apart & scattered across the work bench.. How do I get it back together?? lol.
!

I had NH Hydraulics do that, they pulled a piston hydraulic pump all apart and said the pump can't be fixed and has to be completely replaced, and oh, re-assembly isn't included in the free estimate. Needless to say I had to re-assemble the pressure regulator and relief assembly by wear matching parts, pins, bushings, spools and springs. Then installed $350 in john deere parts, lapped the top cover and the valve end of the barrel and its still working perfectly today.