• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final decision time.... Cat 349 vs Volvo 480

mxsledder

Volvo is a bit more on parts but not a deal breaker. I probably could get close to 20% more back on resale but I don't believe in paying 20% more to hopefully get that back at all. I could nearly get another semi and end dump for that $60 k.

Oxbow

Wheeler (Cat) is an excellent dealer though. A couple of weeks of downtime would suck up 60K pretty fast by the time one included the whole scenario, but that is not to say that your local Volvo dealer would necessarily be any slower than Cat if you had a problem.

Is the Cat pre-wired for GPS? If so that is about 20K of the difference.

mxsledder

Wheeler is an excellent dealer for sure. Just a bit over priced. I'm not sure about the gps wiring.

AntonioRocha

A Korean Samsung dressed up with Volvo decals does not convince me, after getting old this Samsung´s leak hydraulic oil from everywhere. New machines are all very good, even chinese look nice, after getting 15k hours Cat still goes on, even the yellow paint on the Cat´s last´s longer.

ih100

I'd never say Cat or Volvo are better overall, in my part of the U.K. There's nothing between the dealerships, I can get anything for a Cat overnight, and apparently the same goes for Volvo. As far as the machines, some of the Cat's aren't as well set up or balanced as the equivalent Volvos, and vice versa. However, There's a reason the 320 was the biggest selling excavator around the world for several years, and still is near the top, and it certainly isn't price

Last edited:

Ben Witter

To the OP. The decision has to be yours in the end. Both machines can be good but the support you get will be one of the most important factors in whether your experience is good or not. Price is nice as they say but look at total projected cost of ownership to make your decision instead. The last thing I would do is base my decision on what a bunch of guys behind a computer screen say about which machine is the best. We all know some people bleed Cat yellow. And some will vote for Volvo because that is what they like and have always used. I have worked on both and either will do the job.

I would personally demo each unit first to get a feel for them and possibly what fuel consumption is. Look into what each has for emissions systems. I am not sure if the Cat is truly T4 final or just compliant and running the T3 or T4 interim solution. I have not seen or heard of any running so I cannot comment on how they are running. I know the Volvo is T4 final with DOC/DPF/SCR. They have been running well as far as I have heard.

mxsledder

Thanks for all of your feedback! At this point I looks like I'm leaning towards the Volvo 480.

Bliz

Occupation
Excavator/Logger
We have only had the smaller sizes, Cat 315 and Volvo 160, and from that experience I would say it's almost a toss-up. Both good machines, but I can tell you the cost per hour is less with the Volvo. Also, the Volvos, with our sizes, have brought the same money at trade time. Dealer support would be the biggest factor for me. One last thing, our under carriage life on the Volvos was far better. Good Luck!

mxsledder

Cat has gotten very aggressive on the 349 F and I decided to go that route. I'll keep everyone posted on how it performs.. I've got high expectations for this machine.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
lmao, its true tho. had a 349 and two 345's to look after, only the one 345 used slightly less oil than the other two of 5L every two days

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
Ben Witter has a good point, in the end its your choice, ive put together a screen and crusher plant in hwange ZW, and we had the help of an EC700 volvo, precision is as much in the hands of the operator as what the machine is capable of. we had two operators and it was chalk and cheese, i could ask the one guy for 5mm movement with the tip and he could do it, the other nearly dropped the whole structure he was so coarse.

whatever you decide, an experienced and well trained operator makes a lot of difference to the longevity of your machine in as much as dealer support affects your downtime.

i am a cat mech, thats what my boss believes in, here in zimbabwe dealer support is poor for volvo, whereas caterpillar is slightly better. but we do our own maintenance. and info from cat is alot more forthcoming. that said there are things on either machine that i like/dislike. my mate swears volvo. its alot like toyota versus landrover here. personal preference. at the end of the day it boils down to the man who uses it.

Jakeboy

Hey guys I have ran everything but Volvos!! But have heard a lot of good things about them! Are they good for 20000 hrs!! If serviced accordingly and operated by a good operator!? Has anyone experienced a high hour machine!?? Regards Jake