• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis HD-41

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Surfer-Joe, if those are the same ones I remember seeing, they are cable plow cats. That duty seems like the last holdout for the old AC and IH crawlers.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Here is a local machine in California for sale. For $80,000 it could be yours too...

That one is owned by my old company or was at one time. I guess it wasn't the 41s that was nicknamed Fat Cat. Is it up north it was located in Socal? Vinci Pacific used to own it. We got that SOB stuck in a canyon we where filling once you didn't take that dozer around anything that might be even a little soft.

Last edited:

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
A surface mine over in Ohio ran HD41s until a few years ago. They always said the final drive problems were caused by the outboard final bearing failing and changed them weekly........ every sat afternoon.

They dident seem to have many final drive problems.

oldirt

I have heard a lot of stories, but this one should be made into a movie.. that was so descriptive I can almost smell it. wow what an experience!

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Was your comment directed at me Oldirt? If so know I have no reason to lie about anything.

Racine

salut les gars, j'ai une panne de convertisseur avec Fiat Allis HD41 quelqu'un n'a pas la documentation du circuit hydraulique?

CavinJim

Gotta love the tie-down chains! I know they aren't as dinky as they look, but still....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not much out there gonna do more than hold it in place on gentle roads! That is a Chunk!!

Reminded me of a years gone by, as a kid. A local contractor in St. Charles MO had a FEW pieces of equipment and a couple low bed rear access lowboys with tractors. Friends of mine had a pond to be built outside of Williamsburg MO while was in the olden days of 73,280 gw license no oversize/weight moves on weekends or after dark.

The guy was doing this on the side as a favor(cash) and did not want to have any excess time involved so they hauled the machines, a 966 rubber tire a 955H and a D7(E?) early Hydraulic do not remember the series as was only 15 at the time. The 966 and 955 showed on a Saturday LATE Afternoon, the trucks were setting up to head out after dark when one just thru his stuff up on the truck and hauled out with the other driver in the jump seat. Around three or four hours later the second truck arrived IN THE DARK with the 7, blade still on it sitting on the trailer, running. third truck was right behind.

Seems they got in a hurry, set two 1/2" chains to the rails on the 7 at the rear and took off avoiding the interstate. Were around twenty miles from the farm when made a hard left corner on a county road and the 7 slipped sideways. Well both chains popped, the 7 slid off, slid a ways down a slight grade then rolled thru a ditch landing on the rails. We stopped to survey the damage two WEEKS later. Old machine had absolutely cleaned off the scrub in a path around thirty feet wide all the way down the grade, dirt, chunks of sod and large amounts of displaced soil everywhere in the ditch! The 'Boys' had got on the machine at the bottom, it started and the drove it up the grade back onto truck number two as the one that had been hauling it was damaged! Got it to the farm and did their work, hauled all home on Sunday As Well!! Did the pond dig with chunks of stuff hanging on the ROPS, stack bent, lights askew, some tins damage but worked.

As far as I know the owner left the machine bent up to remind the 'Boys' to make certain all was adequately chained down until was traded off. MODOT never did figure out whose machine made the mess, and they did look.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Being loaded on a beam you almost want to chain more to prevent ground contact from upsetting the load. If you have sufficient coefficient of friction between machine, blocks and trailer it's most likely not gonna move. I have seen machines on a beam drag on a hump or in a tight turn and get "adjusted". Big hoes and cranes aren't as bad as dozers. Smooth shoes vs that nice thick grouser on a dozer.

I've heard many stories about loads getting lost, dropped, bridge strikes and the like. Either I'm bad at f$&kin up, lucky or good because, knock on wood, I've never done it. I've moved monster stuff that was borderline unstable just by sheer mass and center of gravity but that's another story. Come to think of it, that was a Sunday morning move......