• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fendt Makes worlds largest solid body tractor

npelzer

Read in the western producer the other day that Fendt is making a 360hp ridgid body tractor (no pivot in center) now!!! Thats insane, i find these tractors pointless, can anyone explain why you would need that in a front wheel assist tractor??? Why not just buy a 4wd, just as much power, better weight distibution and they turn WAY better

Attachments

• 900-grubber_1024_rdax_800x600_80.jpg
    900-grubber_1024_rdax_800x600_80.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17,294

td25c

That is a big front wheel assist tractor.I would think it might be more cost effective to build the big tractors with the articulated chassis.Same sise tires&wheels,same differential front&back.When they get that big there is not as much need for a pto&lift arms.FENDT is a good looking tractor,I am not sure where they are made.

Richardjw~

Read in the western producer the other day that Fendt is making a 360hp ridgid body tractor (no pivot in center) now!!! Thats insane, i find these tractors pointless, can anyone explain why you would need that in a front wheel assist tractor??? Why not just buy a 4wd, just as much power, better weight distibution and they turn WAY better

Agree with all your points of view, longer wheelbase, better traction for heavy draft work, commonality parts.....but....some customers particularly in Europe are looking for tractors with good PTO performance, universal for hitch work and top road speeds of around 50km/h from 300+hp so the likes of CNH, JD & Fendt only have to tweak up the existing range to meet the requirements - trends are now also for variable speed gearboxes. Also Fendt don't have an off-the-peg 360-400hp artic tractor range so they'd have to set about developing something....read ££££££ in R&D, which in today's climate takes some balls especially given the limited market.

TraxterMaster

Occupation
Farmer
We own 2 Fendts and we love them. we own one like on that picture but ours is a 930 (300hp) its basicaly like the 8000 JD series shorter wheel base and they are balance different then the NA made tractor. the front lift and PTO can be use for in fill tillage,mowing,plowing or snow removal. balast weight can be mounted on the 3 point. front lift can in some application save a pass in the feild we match to a drill. the vario transmission (CVT) is the first one to be out on the market and still the only one to have a 0 to 60km on one gear range, deere IVT for exemple has 3-4 range with multi disc clutches. fendt also have separated oil system so the transmission oil is not mixed with hydrolic to prevent cotamination. these tractor are built in germany and uses deutz and agcosizu engines

d4c24a

vario

you still have a high and low range ,,high should really be used for road work
or it will lead to premature faliure of the vario unit ,as my friend has found out :eek:

Deerehauler

npelzer, look where the cab is on the MFWD tractor and where the cab is on a typical big 4WD. If you are doing row crop work, a lot of hooking and unhooking, and 3 point mounted work, the MFWD works better because you are able to see MUCH better. The MFWD tractor is shorter and will turn shorter, although with the duals on the front axle the turning radius gets larger.

However, in the picture shown the tractor is working wheat stubble and in non-rowcrop applications a 4WD is tough to beat. The drivetrain on a 4WD is a little more 'busy' with driveshafts running from the front half to the back half. I used to farm in NW Kansas and had the choice between a 2WD and 4WD. I chose the 4WD every time for working summerfallow ground.

TraxterMaster

Occupation
Farmer
this is a picture of our tractor but now we have the Dual on 4 corners on.

Attachments

• 12140_1297124549436_1270021962_30875865_2132621_n.jpg
    12140_1297124549436_1270021962_30875865_2132621_n.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4,374
  • 12140_1297126669489_1270021962_30875880_6187011_n.jpg
    12140_1297126669489_1270021962_30875880_6187011_n.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 4,771

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
How are the Fendt's for reliability? I grew up in southern ontario in a farm town, and my family owns a fair bit of farm land. I have never seen a Fendt tractor larger than 70hp, and even then I have seen a handful.

I am from JD country, I am biased but what are these tractors like when they age? Are they going to have the longevity the JD tractors have? It's not exactly uncommon to see 4000-30 series in large numbers still kickin around. It seemed like in the early 90's the red boys were makin inroads into the larger MFWD tractors but when JD brought out the 8000's the red and blue disappeared.

I haven't really been intot he farming scene for awhile but started lookin at tractors again recently and couldn't believe how big the row crop tractors have become. When the 8400 came out in what? '94-'95 I remember guys saying 225hp was a too big. I did get to play with my first IVT the other day though in an 8330. Wow that sure is a slick setup. That would be amazing for hauling tomatoes as compared to the old 16spd jerk-o-matic in the early 8000's

TraxterMaster

Occupation
Farmer
Well for reliability we had so many trouble with our deere that we dont want them anymore thats where we are now tough. johndeere past the XX10 series its been going down hill. our 60 series combine theres not a day that we didn't have trouble with it. the 20 series tractor are a wire mess and after a while they are worst the a VW electric problem. our 7920 theres half of the lights working with ground problems and beep here and there and codes showing up. the tractor has under 3000 hours. Our fendt are still pretty new the 712 has 1500h and the 930 550h but they are build to last if you come to be around one just take a look on massively built. the draw bar setup on the 712(120HP) is built as strong as the 7920. if you do alot of 3 point hitch application the fendt are hard to beat. they are well balanced, we have a 3 point monted AMAZONE(german product)dry fertilizer spreader that can hold 4tons. the 7920 I do whellies with full weight in front and cant turn at the end of the field when full. The 712 with a 870KG balast it like driving a car down the road with no problem. they have an active 3 point suspension that makes fast travel on the road and field. the fendt also have a LSD on the front axles combine with the differential lock which makes them a full power AWD in high traction aplication. the auto diff lock and MFWD is neat when you turn the wheels it will disangage the diff lock and mfwd and re-engage automaticaly when you get staright again. the TMS Go-End fonction is easier to use then the johndeere IMS, you can also save the implement in the vario terminal(on board computer) lets say on the manure tank when i get in the field and ready to spread i press Go it will start the PTO bring it to 540 RPM and engage cruise speed to 4.5mph and when i press end it will the the way around. it can do up to 20 functions in a sequence. all the oils are separated in a fendt also to prevent contamination of the oils due to brake materials(which destroyed the powerquad in our 6400 deere) or contamination from hydrolics equipment like its doing on our 6420. The fuel consumption is also better then the deere's hands down even with the IVT.

Fendt where also the first to go fast, in 1984 they came out with a 40km/h with cab suspension tractors. In 1993 to go 50km/h with air cab suspension. In 1996 they were the first to bring the CVT transmission called Vario. now all the fendt tractor are equip with the vario transmission.

where in ontario are you, alot of massey furgusson has them but dont know them very well. If the dealer tries to sell the MF cvt saying its an american fendt thats BS!!! fendt make transmission for MF but they are not the Fendt transmission. Fendt is Fendt

Burnout

Occupation
I am from down around the London area in Ontario. Lots of tomato, sugarbeet and big corn harvesting in our area. I worked on a pig farm part time in high school to help out a friend. and spent a lot of time pullin a 4000 gallon and 8000 gallon honey wagons. The 8400 he had was great at the 8000g tank, but she was hard on fuel. I personally like the 50 series the best, a nice 4450 with MFWD and a 15spd was great in the field, and with the shortwheelbase they looked good.

The most experience I have in the lats couple years with deere AG equipment is our companies 9520 and 9630 and I loooove those tractors. Our 9520 is already pushing 9500hrs pulling packers and grademasters.

In our area MF has pretty much all but disappeared. You still see the older MF's but nothing in the last 10-15yrs. Deere has definately owned the combine market in our area for a long time. See a lot of the 60-70 series, a ton of the old 10 series and my buddy with the pig farm still runs a 8820 Titan II.

TraxterMaster

Occupation
Farmer
well he should keep that 8820 Titan II running lol our next combine is more likely to be a twinrotor newholland or gleaner A series. The NewHolland dealer sold 5 combine to Deere guys that used to run deere combines for the last 20 years and last year they got to a point of changing for a big yelow one. We used to have a full green yard but Deere has serious reability and costumer service issues to work out before we go back. on 3 green machine left here none works like they should all under 3000 hours. we know 2 person that had 7920IVT like ours and they suggest to trade it at the end of waranty. and they are both from area. we do all the maintenance as schedule, but most of the problem is sitting electronics and eventualy kill the mechanic of the mahine.

Burnout

Occupation
Lol... no one in our area can afford new iron like that.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
funny how things come full circle

lots of new inovations in the ag market that is for sure. I personally like the idea behind the cvt transmissions I think they will be safer on the road than in years past with gear shift tractors. only time will tell once again just how durable the cvt really is and who makes the best one. ONe thing I did notice though traxtor, is your preferrance for a new holland twin rotor combine or a gleaner A series. Anybody remember White motor Corp?
or know anythign about the 9720 rotory that white put out? Guess what....that is the basis model for the gleaner A series Combines now!
MF took over the white combines some years back and produced the 9720 under the MF logo and continually updating and etc till Agco decided to do away with the R62 and newer series combine design and switch to the "A" series based off of the MF combine and ultimatly if you go far enough back,to the 9720 White Made in the "Good ole USA". I'm not going to go into the small differences through the progression of the takeovers and company changes and etc. but essentially the "A" series is/was a white. Would be interested to know if they still are running a cummins "N" series motor though or did they switch to detroit or something else?

farmerleach

The new massey combines are running SISU motors in the class 6 and 7 machines, the class 8 runs a C13 cat. They used to run a cummins motor up until about 4 years ago.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
If I get a chance I'll post some pics of the 9720 I was referring to
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

HSV127

I like the Fendt tractors but they are quite expensive, one of the tractors we run is a JCB 8250 Fastrac which runs a Fendt vario transmisson with a JCB designed control system, these tractors have a top speed of 65kph and have full suspension. I've heard of a few 7000 series JD IVT's lunching themselves under 3000hrs, and we had a JD 8520 for a couple of years but ended up selling it because we were scared to drive it incase it broke down, it was under 3000hrs!