• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

hetkind

Maybe we need to move the whole energy discussion to another thread but the government here has recently removed subsidies for the construction of new onshore & offshore wind energy projects and the developers are now saying that without a subsidy to build them they can't make them pay. Make of that what you will....... IMO it's very difficult to figure out what is a level playing field where energy is concerned.

Well to find out, we just remove all price support, tax abatements, give aways and charge for things like environmental releases, carbon tax, keeping the sea ways open and such, and once we remove ALL the hidden supports for oil, green technology, like wind and solar will look a whole lot better. Ethanol is nothing more than a giveaway to the corn belt.

I hoard quality scrap iron and steel for keep my forge fed for blacksmithing. Today I am going to recycle some old truck leaf springs for FEET on a pair of 25k lbs capacity steel sawhorses, personally designed and fabricated out of 4" angle and 2" box beam.

Howard

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
I still have over 200 scrap vehicles and lots of old tractors dozer and sawmill junk. Big piles of aluminum,copper and other non ferrous stuff. four School buses packed full of engines and car parts. My little Grandson at the moment really likes it. I was intending on burying a lot it in a ravine. I suppose ill do what ever comes first. It don't owe me a dime. I sold enough to more than cover the cost when scrap was high. I sold a 57 chevy rear end for a $100 cash last week. Im glad I didn't sell it for scrap.

Old Doug

Scrap Has went up to $75.00 for shred if it gets to $100.00 i will sell my shred unless it looks like it is going to realy take off. I dont want to store it any longer and if it does start going up i will be busy hauling every ones Junk.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Anybody have any figures on what percent of windmills operate at a net loss. I have heard figures but have no hard data to back it up. Many if not all are turned by electricity running from other sources when the wind is idle. Watch one for a minute and see that it slowly turns. Apparently the bearings flatten when they gently rock in no wind conditions. I do know for a fact that the company I retired from used to install hundreds of windmills every year and since the subsidy ended its a mostly dead industry.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Scrap Has went up to $75.00 for shred if it gets to $100.00 i will sell my shred unless it looks like it is going to realy take off. I dont want to store it any longer and if it does start going up i will be busy hauling every ones Junk.

Good to hear it went up a bit. Has not changed at all here. Drove by the big sign at a scrapyard near here today. It still says $35.00 a ton. Historically scrap goes up in election years. Have to wait and see. I am thinking not to much this time.

Old Doug

Its hard to think about all the money that is spent on windmills, ethanol, solar farms and other ways to save natural resources. Right now there not paying their way but every great thing had to start some place and most were almost a complete failure to start with.The automobile started off and most thought they were a waste of money and time. I read about some ones grandfather saying back in 1909 that you would be a fool to invest money into a car company because they were just a fad and wouldnt be around much longer. Some of thes ideas will be proven to not work or pay off but hopefully one will.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

There are some interesting thoughts coming through in this discussion.

I believe down the track a bit food and energy are going to cost what they are worth and there will be a necessary "adjustment" in how folks think and act.

Cheers.

Randy88

I'm not sure much of anything new would ever come out, if someone somewhere didn't subsidize it, in our own operations, we do this with any new enterprise to get it up and going, we rob from peter to pay paul, until its proven and paying back making us money. We call it business and do it every day, its the reason we use collateral to borrow money and make machine purchases. Large scale business does it on a much grander scale, yes using tax dollars as an incentive to do large scale anything, no different than railroads of years gone by to settle the west, I believe they received land along their right of ways, to offset their costs via the government in the form of a tax incentive to do it in the first place, but maybe I learned history wrong and someone can correct me.

This has always been done, hopefully always will, its how new technology is developed, we also use tax dollars for the military and also private business to develop new technology as well, not sure we'd have gps without it, same goes for airplanes, rockets, satellites, and hundreds of other things we use every day and just forget where it came from..........................tax dollars and none were profitable when they came out and yet we still have all lived and nobody has died from hunger due to new technology coming out. I'm not sure, but when dollars go into circulation, in any form, they spur the economy and someone gains, same for the government and despite how much I hate political advertising, those dollars do spur the economy and someone gains from the money being spent, and yes we all have to suffer through it.

I'm also thinking, but again probably wrong, but HEF has allowed political advertising in an effort to offset costs, meaning none of us would be doing any discussing if not for a subsidy from advertising dollars to keep this site open, don't think this site makes money per say, but needs it to keep going, so where do you guys draw the line on subsidies?? Only what directly benefits us and our operations and how we do business or those in business on a much grander scale in the form of alternative energy?? I for one like gps, satellite based technology, phones and hundreds of other things I touch every day, and most of it not all were subsidized by both the government and business's everywhere long before they were profitable. Just a thought to ponder over.

okas

Occupation
5 trades
i am loading some up to get it gone scrap steel trade off waste out per box of steel ..i have to get the mess gone . bad timing :eek:

1968 Case 580CK

Well, I am getting news that the experts are saying oil may drop to $16 per barrell.....its now hovering around $30. They had said that oil below $40 would cause the world economies to implode. Silver is a mind-boggling low of $13.75/oz.....in 2011 it hit $50, but the banksters have been manipulating it by selling paper silver into the market......all that is gonna blow up in their faces at some point. Also, the Baltic Dry Index (measures the amount of huge container shipments over the seas) is at the lowest point in 50 years, and it has dropped so far as to basically mean that trade is stopping. Chin'as stock market started plummeting again last week, impacting all world stock markets. Things are pointing to some very hard times directly ahead. So, Im guessing that scrap metal prices will fall, along with most commodities. Wait until the 100 trillion derivative market (which would have been illegal up until Glass-Stegal was abolished during Clinton's admin) explodes......then the Great Depression of the 30s will look like a walk in the park compared to what we will be facing.

So, sell the scrap or hold it for 5 or more years?

hetkind

I think you are being overly pessimistic. While trade is slow, it has not shut down, and commodities will return to normal value. I would hold the scrap for a bit and see it return to $90-$120 a ton range. I would suspect the iron mines, mills and blast furnaces would take more of hit that scrap, since clean scrap is cheap to process. Periodic high scrap prices are great to encourage folks to clean up the storage area, but they do encourage the theft of good materials for scrap.

Howard

1968 Case 580CK

I think you are being overly pessimistic. While trade is slow, it has not shut down, and commodities will return to normal value. I would hold the scrap for a bit and see it return to $90-$120 a ton range. I would suspect the iron mines, mills and blast furnaces would take more of hit that scrap, since clean scrap is cheap to process. Periodic high scrap prices are great to encourage folks to clean up the storage area, but they do encourage the theft of good materials for scrap.

Howard

Howard.......Well, maybe I the experts who I listen too are overly pessimistic......I guess that time will tell. Wish I had more of your optimism about the future outlook.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Its hard to think about all the money that is spent on windmills, ethanol, solar farms and other ways to save natural resources. Right now there not paying their way but every great thing had to start some place and most were almost a complete failure to start with.The automobile started off and most thought they were a waste of money and time. I read about some ones grandfather saying back in 1909 that you would be a fool to invest money into a car company because they were just a fad and wouldnt be around much longer. Some of thes ideas will be proven to not work or pay off but hopefully one will.

You make some good points here Doug. Hopefully some of it will pan out for the good down the road.

Old Doug

Its been holding at $10.00 a hundred on cars with engines and $7.50 on shred. As sone as i can i want to haul some maybe all my cars and shred. I have alot of aluminum.copper and brass seating out side it worries me that some one may see it so its going this summer.

Old Doug

I planed on geting rid of most of my stuff this summer. I realy want to move my shred and the price had been going up so i tryed to haul 2 loads a week. I got the shred hauled and was going to start on the cars now the price is droping. I would have bet that the price would have held this summer.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Old Doug I got $7.50 on shred on a demo job in April. Misc steel - studs, A/C units, etc. Stuffed it all in 40's, 7 total.

Old Doug

The price didnt hold it droped some i hauled every chance i got. I didnt realy want to haul any thing but my own that didnt work out. I sure wish i could see down the road to next year.I was told it would go up some this year because of the election i guess i will plan for the worst and hope for the best.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Last week I got $6.00 for tin/shred. It was dirty with some wood and insulation.

walkerv

Tin and steel is staying low with some fluctuations up and down some non ferrous is on the rise though just not much of one