• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Right now in China you can buy a ton of rebar
Cheaper than you can buy a ton of cabbage!

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Ronsii, there was some minimal copper and brass on them, but very little overall.

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Our last load of scrap sold for $ 40/ton. Not too many years ago we were getting $400. We are lucky that our scrap iron vender leaves a dumpster for us. When its full we call him and he comes and gets it so it doesnt bother me too bad we if we take a little hit on the price. The convience is worth it.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
I quoted the John Deere dealer over three time's that last week with us sitting a can. It is less than a two mile haul though and mostly undercarriage's is really good scrap. Unless things have changed we are still $100.00 a ton across the scales.

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Our guy has about a 45-50 mile haul. The last dumpster was 7 ton. He has to get something for his time and mileage too so I didnt expect to make a killing. He then has a 150-200 mile haul after processing it to get it to his vendor.

Last edited:

Old Doug

I tryed to haul a load a day this week to clean up what i hauled in last year . Its not very profitable because i bought it when it was up. I have 3 places to clean up next week it is going to take some time to get use to the new prices.

antpoo

I am at Simms metal scrap here in perth Western australia. Have been waiting 55minutes and I expect to wait another 20 mins. My last price was $11 a tonne a few months back. They told me I should be lucky I wasn't paying them. Best I have ever got in my 4 years was $120 a tonne.

Will post price today in the evening.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Current pricing here is $.06-07 per pound for non-processed tin/iron scrap mix. Last week hauled 55K lbs of tin/iron mix out of a demo job, I wish it was back at $.14 a pound I got a year and 1/2 ago.:cool:

antpoo

Ok, just got my cash from Sims metal here in Perth Western Australia.

Light gauge sheet metal. $60.00 per 1000kg. - $21.50 govt levy.

Bright copper. $4.80 per 1kg
Insulated copper. $1.60 per 1kg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Ok, just got my cash from Sims metal here in Perth Western Australia.

Light gauge sheet metal. $60.00 per 1000kg. - $21.50 govt levy.

Bright copper. $4.80 per 1kg
Insulated copper. $1.60 per 1kg

Looks like in my area we're getting almost double on the tin or light gauge sheet metal at $.06 per lb. Copper is close. Bright #1 copper is bringing $2.20 lb.

Scrap prices are better in my area due to the end users located in the area. We have several ductile iron pipe manufacturers and a US Steel mill.

Old Doug

I sold some copper for 2.00 a pound and car bodys have come up a little but they are a being picky. The cars have to have there engines. If it gos up to 150.00 a ton i will sell every thing i have saved back.

1968 Case 580CK

Global demand is down in a lot of areas.

The dollar is really strong because we're the "Least Screwed".

How much of an effect this has I don't know, but we dumped trillions into the economy trying to avoid deflation, kept the prime rate at 0.25% for years and never actually managed to create a stable, sustained inflation.

Then OPEC cranks open the spigot to shut down fracking, thus killing off our energy sector and thereby the only engine actually driving what passes for a recovery these days. And with the dollar so strong, who is going to buy our goods?

The next bubble will be our last. After that, it all resets and prices deflate by about 2/3 to reach equilibrium again by reverting to where they SHOULD be based on historic curves.

Not that I'm cynical or anything...

Thats a Big 10-4 from my back door. Yep, the trillions and trillions that the FED has been pumping out and giving to the banksters "for free" (0% interest) has been used to pump up the stock market to crazy levels. Fort Knox has no gold....shoot, when the Germans screamed last year and wanted their gold back, our corrupt govt refused....said they had to wait until 2020. That bull. The Euro is gonna crash first, and then our stock market will tank big time. A bank holiday will be declared, and the banksters will "reset" the dollar with a new valuation......in summary, you wake up Monday morning and see that you lost 90% of your bank accounts/401Ks, etc. Best bet is to dump 75% of what you have into silver (which is dirt cheap right now). When the dollar tanks, silver/gold will skyrocket.....and wise merchants will refuse the dollar for goods, but will gladly take silver/gold. Then the evil govt. will scurry into their fancy underground bunkers, cities, and hope that the real patriots in our country wont be able to dig them out. But then the real stuff hits the fan.....Nibiru and its orbitals comes crashing into Earth's path, and causes a 25 degree tilt of our axis.....talk about tidal waves! Read Velikovsky "Worlds in Collision". End times here? We got the Blood Moons going on, and all the pointers say something is about to hit our peaceful world. Gotta go.......not finished digging my bunkers.

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
Thats a Big 10-4 from my back door. Yep, the trillions and trillions that the FED has been pumping out and giving to the banksters "for free" (0% interest) has been used to pump up the stock market to crazy levels. Fort Knox has no gold....shoot, when the Germans screamed last year and wanted their gold back, our corrupt govt refused....said they had to wait until 2020. That bull. The Euro is gonna crash first, and then our stock market will tank big time. A bank holiday will be declared, and the banksters will "reset" the dollar with a new valuation......in summary, you wake up Monday morning and see that you lost 90% of your bank accounts/401Ks, etc. Best bet is to dump 75% of what you have into silver (which is dirt cheap right now). When the dollar tanks, silver/gold will skyrocket.....and wise merchants will refuse the dollar for goods, but will gladly take silver/gold. Then the evil govt. will scurry into their fancy underground bunkers, cities, and hope that the real patriots in our country wont be able to dig them out. But then the real stuff hits the fan.....Nibiru and its orbitals comes crashing into Earth's path, and causes a 25 degree tilt of our axis.....talk about tidal waves! Read Velikovsky "Worlds in Collision". End times here? We got the Blood Moons going on, and all the pointers say something is about to hit our peaceful world. Gotta go.......not finished digging my bunkers.
I am pretty skeptical. Heck Iam not certain they went to the moon back in 69? It could have been easily faked. Now I don't put much stock in the nibiru theory. However one thing that is for certain actually happening. The magnetic poles are shifting. They always wandered a bit. However lately instead of a few Feet per year. The magnetic north pole had began moving by dozens of miles per year. The south pole not very much. That puts a twist in the magnosphere that twist weakens the power at the north magnetic pole. that lets solar wind enter our atmosphere. that in turn affects the jet stream. That in turn drives the weather to new extremes. Also the magnetic pull on the iron core is changed and that in turn affects plate techtonics. So these weird weather and clatyclismic events will continue to increase in magnitude and frequency for probably a few years. and then gradually abate. Its a end of an age earth change. Probably happens on a regular 3600 year interval. Man didn't cause it & man cannot mitigate it. these events would still be happening even if man had never walked the planet. So what to do? Me I think it quite a exciting time to be alive on the planet. I cant prevent change or control it. So im going to embrace the new adventure. This past year we have already been enjoying seeing the Northern lights way down here in Arkansas!

antpoo

Ha ha, yeah, these replies belong to the Heavy Equipment conspiracy Theory section. :), not that I disagree on most of the points.

1968 Case 580CK

Old Junk Man......Good to hear your way over in Arkansas, pretty close to the Ozark Mountains, right? John Moore is a retired military guy, and him and a good amount of his military contacts "in the know" are getting ready for some BIG changes in America. He claims the Ozarks are one of the best places to be if these events happen. You can listen to some of his presentations by searching youtube. His sources also say that the govt. has inside info. that the New Madrid is going to go, along with other volcanoes/plates in N. America......and thats why they have been digging like crazy under all the mountains, have been buying all the long-term food supplies, buying armor piercing bullets by the billions, and just keep lying to the public. I agree......a real exciting time to be alive, but I think one needs to prepare......beans, bullets, bunker, and a fistfull of silver dollars. Nibiru....well, when we finally see it pop out at around the 1:00 position from behind the Sun, we will know to dig like crazy. Marshall Masters and Gill Brushard do some real amazing videos about why they believe 100% thats its arriving soon....well worth watching (on youtube also).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...PJak1Qtf8VNm7Vp07FkwqFhg&ust=1434452581936437

1968 Case 580CK

Ha ha, yeah, these replies belong to the Heavy Equipment conspiracy Theory section. :), not that I disagree on most of the points.

antpoo/scrub puller......funny. Well, if you think about it, we were talking about scrap metal prices.....when the world economies collapse or Nibiru causes world catastrophic disasters, the price of iron will go to almost zero initially. So, all this destruction relates to the price of scrap metal........so, still within the box of the topic.......in my opinion. Ha ha.

Yea, the magnetic north pole has really been getty-upping.....real fast, moving toward northern Russia. In the past, the North Pole has been located in Hudson Bay, Greenland, and Yukon (western Canada). We are due for another geographic pole shift, which could easily be followed by this rapid move of the magnetic poles. Wonder why my compass is buzzing in circles right now?