• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

extendahoe hose replacement

digger7

I have a Case 580 Super M that I am trying to replace the hoses that actuate the extendahoe cylinder. My question is concerning the pin that anchors the piston to the boom. After removing the spring clips from both ends of the pin, the pin still refuses to be tapped out. I have watched the youtube video of this procedure and the pin in the video slides easily in and out. I was wondering if the ends of my pin may be deformed slightly making removal difficult. I didn't want to really pound on it until I knew for sure.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I'm assuming you mean the hollow pin holding the cyl in the dipper? What ever the case make sure everything is supported & there is no weight on cylinder or dipper. Is pressure released from hyd? Most of the time a tap is all that is required - be carefull!

digger7

No sir, the bucket arm is being supported by a hydraulic boom. I don't think there is any pressure on the hollow pin/sleeve because it rotates freely. I have just bought this tractor. The hose was broken when I got it and the previous owner had stuck a piece of rebar through the boom to hold the extendahoe in position rather than fix the hose. There are visible cracks in the ends of the pin/sleeve and I feel like the ends may be deformed enough that is causing my problem in pin removal.

Thank you for your help

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Seems wierd that the pin will rotate & not come out - you do have the circlips off ??
May be that bar has been in there a long time & deformed the pin.......
Does the pin move in or out at all ?
It is possible that the cylinder has worn a groove in the pin & stopping it from moving - with someones help try to push the cylinder by hand back up into the dipper or put a long bar in under the cyl & try to lift the mounted end slightly - while hitting the pin.
If the pin was siezed at some time & efforts were made to remove it causing the cracking - you will need to grind the mushroomed end of pin away with a die grinder.
it's all fun.......

digger7

Thank you for your suggestions Alrman, one end of the pin was mushroomed less than the other and I was able to finally drive it out. If I ever have to do this again, I think it would have made it much easier if I had removed the weight of the bucket. I changed out both hoses even though only one was bad and decided that while I have it all apart, I might as well order the teflon slides along with a new pin.