• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ex120-5 extremely slow travel except when using another movement.

pp13bnos

I was using my 120 today for maybe 15-20 minutes, when suddenly it decided that it didn't want to move very quickly. Unless I was using a another movement; such as boom up/down bucket curl, rotating, etc. It doesn't matter what travel mode is selected. The engine sounds like there is no load on it, when it is traveling. Any ideas?

I tried searching for solutions, but came up empty. However, in the back of my brain I think I remember reading about a spool getting something in it, that caused someone else to have a similar issue.

I still have about 4-5hrs on the current job its on, will it further damage anything by finishing up with it?

Thanks in advance, CJ

pp13bnos

I think it has something to do with the wiring or a sensor. I still haven't had time to dig into the machine, but yesterday it started traveling in rabbit mode out of no where. After I shut it off, back to just barely creeping along. Keep in mind its set on the turtle speed.

I also noticed when I have the AI throttle setting on, and traveling its like the computer doesn't get a signal. The AI sets the throttle to idle like I'm not using a motion.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Most likely a sensor on the travel pilot circuit. I don't know how similar a -5 is to a -2 series but on my EX200-2 there are some rectangular blocks kinda under and behind the cab that all the pilot lines run through. They have sensors on them that tell the computer that something is happening and to stroke up the pumps. I believe these sensors also tell the auto-idle to throttle up when something is happening and being that yours doesn't throttle up leads me to believe the sensor for your travel pilot circuit is faulty or the wiring between it and the computer. Hope this helps.