• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Every bore job looks the same lately...

gtermini

Holy cow, I thought was a turbo housing at first glance. I guess it got about the same amount of grease as the exhaust pipe did.

Greyson

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
twr,

Are you really going to tell the customer that needs welding and lineboring? I'd just put a dab of Loc-tite on the bushings and press them in good to go for another 10,000 hours!

You better be nice or I'll find out where this guy lives and show him what this thing does:

grease gun.png

twr

twr,

Are you really going to tell the customer that needs welding and lineboring? I'd just put a dab of Loc-tite on the bushings and press them in good to go for another 10,000 hours!

You better be nice or I'll find out where this guy lives and show him what this thing does:

View attachment 138990

Not a chance its in a sand plant you gota love it.

lantraxco

Been there... it's almost better not to grease some things, the grease traps the sand and it turns into the best lapping compound nature can make, lol.

:eek:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Been there... it's almost better not to grease some things, the grease traps the sand and it turns into the best lapping compound nature can make, lol.

:eek:

I can maybe understand that, but why run till they are that far gone? No idea of how hard it is to remove pins on this application, but one could pull the pins and press in new bushings before the wear got to the meat it would seem to save a bit of down time.

Or maybe if this machine is going to be around for a long time in this nasty environment, look into boring over size and make thicker bushings. Those look kind of thin. At least that could give a bit more time till it did get into the meat of the ram. But then I don't know the actual application and don't want to put twr out of work!

cipltd

Occupation
Farmer/trucker
Hi Guys, And Merry Christmas. I'm new but very interested in what you guys done. I have a Case 9350 4wheel drive tractor which the steering is wearing out. please look at my pic and tell me what my plan of attack should be. Not much room on top and bottom to hook up a drill. Looks like someone has already machined and put a sleeve in. IMG_20151003_112210.jpg

Cmark

Hi Guys, And Merry Christmas. I'm new but very interested in what you guys done. I have a Case 9350 4wheel drive tractor which the steering is wearing out. please look at my pic and tell me what my plan of attack should be. Not much room on top and bottom to hook up a drill. Looks like someone has already machined and put a sleeve in. View attachment 147098

Give us an idea of scale and context. How big is the bore?

Is the component which the anchor is part of removable? If so and it's not too big then taking it to a machine shop and setting it up on a mill would be viable.

Another option would be to fabricate a new anchor, cut off the old one and weld on the new one.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Going on the lube fitting there is meant to be some sort of bearing in there? Is it a self aligning bearing? If its to hard to machine it in situ and tge alignment is not super ctritical I would be looking at cutting it off and properly welding a new one on.

cipltd

Occupation
Farmer/trucker
Thanks Cmark. the insert bearing is 2.5" od. and 1.5" id. from the floor its 24" and above is less than that. trying to send more pics

cipltd

Occupation
Farmer/trucker
I thought of cutting off and replacing but not sure of strength. Also the clevis' are wore (lot of play) I thought taking them off and boring larger and putting a bushing in. As you can see it is one big piece. Priced it out at case, it was $2500.00 .

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I see it has a spherical bearing so it needs a nice accurare bore and also has a circlip groove at the top and a step at the bottom. Easy job in a mill. Not so easy with a portable machine. But what would I know.:)

cipltd

Occupation
Farmer/trucker
Thanks Rayf. I think you guys know quite a bite. The prior own must of torched or bored and sleeved it. Was wondering if I try to torch out the welds and punch it out to see if I can get a clean measurement and replace the sleeve. My cousin owns a tool and die shop and can whip one up pretty quick.