• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ever demo'd a double wide trailer?

DigDug

Good job coolride ! Good luck with the job. Post questions if you have them or pics. Salvage the furnace and water pump maybe? doug

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I demo'd a trailer last fall, the guy wanted to bury it on site, so I dug a hole about the size of the trailer, skidded the trailer over by the hole, and knocked it off the frame into the hole, set the frame aside, packed the hell out of the hole, backfilled, packed the hell out of it some more, graded and I was done!

Maybe by this fall, you'll find a "pop-up" growing over the site? :beatsme

atgreene

Personally, I would do more mark-up on your labor and equipment. They don't need to know how much you're charging, but you need to make a decent living, pay your taxes, pay the fuel, light bill, wear and tear, all the time you have into bidding etc....

If it's not a job anyone is likely to bid on, or others are bound to bid high, just because your current overhead is low doesn't mean you have to work cheap. $40 per hour sound cheap until you figure in all the incidentals before and after and all the oh $h!t breakdowns that pop up.

I know where your coming from, I started the same way, but just last night the wife and I had a knock down drag out (not quite) over my rates. She insists that $100 per hour is too cheap and we need to make more to cover bills. I say I'm still the highest around so it's good enough. My phone is ringing off the hook, so I must be doing something right.

You'll do ok on this, keep a file with notes so you can refer back when you get something similar down the road. Good notes and receipts can save you later when you are scratching your head on the next one.

Good luck!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Personally, I would do more mark-up on your labor and equipment. They don't need to know how much you're charging, but you need to make a decent living, pay your taxes, pay the fuel, light bill, wear and tear, all the time you have into bidding etc....

I agree with atgreene 100%. If you are going to be the GC then you need to mark-up your suppliers/subcontractors. You have bidding and project management time involved in this by getting bids from WM and the rental company. You have real time involved in this process of the job and you need to compensate yourself for that. The more liability you take on = the more money you need to make.

If I were bidding this job I would put at least 10% on the dumpsters, equip. rental, labor, fuel, taxes, etc.

DBGoalie

Occupation
Network Admin
I worked for a company that demo'd a trailer once, and I remember we made pretty extensive use of a chop saw. Mostly it was used to cut the frame into sections that would fit onto our tri-axle to haul to the scrap yard, but it was also useful for pieces that were tough to get apart for whatever reason. I would suggest picking one up if you are going to do this job. Ours was a stihl.