• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Emissions

Peter The Rock

Hi guys,
Any programming out yet to delete the Emissions of a John Deere 470GLC excavator.
Cant seem to get no more than 1000 hrs a DPF filter. Installed new EGR valves.
only 6500 hrs. on its 4th filter.

garyw

Occupation
Plant Engineer
What oil and fuel are you using? That's the ONLY 2 things that decrease the life of a DPF. Is the John Deere the Hitachi ZX470 with Deere stickers?

lantraxco

I'd be after Deere for a "Policy adjustment" like a new replacement excavator if they can't make it work right.

Are you running it flat out? Heat is your friend. Maybe need to cut the fuel back a bit through the computer?

Plebeian

With the enviromental rules in most places now you have to run an engine that is within the rules.
https://www.riv.ca/ECVehicleEmissionReqs.aspx
In places there are fines, penalties etc if you change your engine to run with more emissions than the engine sticker says it should be putting out.

The new Hitachi 6 series run without a DPF ( http://www.hitachiconstruction.com/products/zx470lc-6/ ) and are Tier 4 Final compliant by having different pistons, increased airflow and cooling compared to the previous version of their Isuzu engines.

It might be a process of asking Deere and Isuzu about an engine modification ( http://www.isuzuengines.com/Default.aspx#products ) to Tier 4 to eliminate the DPF. What will required? new pistons, larger engine piping, larger cooler, engine computer software changes etc

Last edited:

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I'm deviating but I reckon there is some money to be made with a specific Heavy Duty Off Road delete facility. A fella drives about installing the hardware and remapping where necessary.
Especially up north, where emission compliance has not yet hit off road equipment.

garyw

Occupation
Plant Engineer
As stated above, if the correct oil and fuela re used there should be no issues with the DPF. In the UK we're easily getting the recommended 4500hrs from DPF's without issues. The only time we get issues is when the customer uses the wrong spec of oil or fuel.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
I'd be looking for a new guy to check over the system....