• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Elk river timber

HDX

Hayesno1 and 075 Maybe its time to start a new thread about ERT Lots of guys still around that worked there and maybe its time they had a chance for a little input in this part of the Forum. I was talking to Ray Melissa today and names like Jake Derksen and Tom Masters Vic Melissa and a ton of other drivers came up as well as shovel operators and yarding crews All names from the past and maybe its time they were remembered. Lets run it for awhile and see what come up

Redwood Climber

Elk River Timber Mack

Now would be a great time to insert a picture of your Elk River Timber Mack Mr. HDX. May I say she is an absolute beauty. I have spent some time drooling over her.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Great idea HDX. I look forward to get informations, histories, pics etc. That's what I like so much about this site. Sadly I can't ad much but a few pics of your WHD ERT unit #26. It seems to mee that there are some issues with the site at present time. I can´t upload pics... They upgraded site this night!!!!

HDX

Redwood Climber Thanks for the good words. I know that quite a number of the old ERT Gang kind of keeps an eye on here so maybe with the tons of pics over the years maybe this is their turn. Campbell River has a real source of history. I talked to one of them one day and he said OH NO we are not from Campbell River We are from Quinsam!!!! We both laughed. Just about everything at Elk River was GM or at least GM powered.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Some pics of ERT #26 - some close up as well!

Attachments

• Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-43s.jpg
    Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-43s.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,775
  • Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-44s.jpg
    Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-44s.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,757
  • Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-68s.jpg
    Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07142207-68s.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07152207-72s.jpg
    Hayes WHD Ow. Steve Drybrough - 07152207-72s.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,770
  • IMGP0108s.jpg
    IMGP0108s.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,756

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More pics of #26. I got over 200 pics of her as I used them for making blue prints. I have started building a scale model of her (scale 1/87). Me in blue Hayes T-shirt taking measurements.. LOL

Attachments

• IMGP0013s.jpg
    IMGP0013s.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,751
  • IMGP0022s.jpg
    IMGP0022s.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,745
  • IMGP0027s.jpg
    IMGP0027s.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,730
  • IMGP0031s.jpg
    IMGP0031s.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,768
  • IMGP0034s.jpg
    IMGP0034s.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,748

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
This might be ERT unit #22. I am pretty sure HDX can tell. It's a a WHD model. Sister truck to #26. Look at that long mudflap! Or what is it?

Attachments

• Hayes WHD 22s.jpg
    Hayes WHD 22s.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,854

HDX

Yes That is her. Yes the long mudflap was an add-on by the mechanic's for the driver. Notice the deckboards above the cab--in 1966 the horn was mounted just above the passenger door and the cablights were also quite often damaged when a long log was being loaded and it would hit the deckboards (2X12 fir planks) When they broke of coarse the horn and cab marker lights were the second casualty The first being the deckboards. This truck was a very early WHD model being as they only started building them in mid 1964. These trucks would go on to be a very popular model due to the versatilty of the 10 3/4 inch "FLEX" Frame. These trucks were sent all over the world. This is still by far my favorite model even though I have a certain soft spot for a certain HDX LOL.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
The deck boards were not broken much after they made us loader operators wear glasses.

HDX

075 We were always told that it was the drivers fault because the loader operators arms got tired of holding the long log over the cab while the second loader had to go wake up the driver up to move the truck ahead LOL

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
075 We were always told that it was the drivers fault because the loader operators arms got tired of holding the long log over the cab while the second loader had to go wake up the driver up to move the truck ahead LOL

Just recently I had to explain to a shovel runner (hydraulic) that at one time they had second loaders to shake tong?!?! and spot the truck under the grapples.

I guess that I am getting old now.:rolleyes:

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
On the Mack LMSW-L, was it the norm during that time to use round timber for the reach? If so, when was the transition to steel? Next Q, which type of steel reach is preferred & why, round or square?

Ap40

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
"HDX" sent me these pics of ERT trucks. Thanks for sharing!
#1; ERT water trucks camp 8;
#2; ERT Hayes HD unit #132 ex-dump truck‏
#3; Old ERT Hayes HD unit #15
#4; ERT KW water truck
#5; Hayes WHD unit #26

Attachments

• Kim's File 26s.jpg
    Kim's File 26s.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,571
  • Kim's File 27s.jpg
    Kim's File 27s.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,587
  • Kim's File 28s.jpg
    Kim's File 28s.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,576
  • Kim's File 29s.jpg
    Kim's File 29s.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,567
  • Kim's File 30s.jpg
    Kim's File 30s.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,582

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More of "HDX" pics. These are all Hayes trucks. Great looking trucks!
#1; Hayes HD ERT unit #15
#2; Hayes WHD ERT unit #26
#3; Hayes HD ERT unit #15
#4; Hayes WHD ERT unit #22
#5; Hayes WHD ERT unit #22

Attachments

• Kim's File 39s.jpg
    Kim's File 39s.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,582
  • Kim's File 41s.jpg
    Kim's File 41s.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Kim's File 42s.jpg
    Kim's File 42s.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Kim's File 43s.jpg
    Kim's File 43s.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,556
  • Kim's File 44s.jpg
    Kim's File 44s.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,563

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
More shared pics from"HDX".
#1; ERT Kenworth sander truck
#2; Hayes WHD ERT truck(my favorite truck)
#3; Hayes cab from ERT unit #25
#4; Mack dump truck ERT unit #7

Attachments

• Kim's File 31s.jpg
    Kim's File 31s.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Kim's File 32s.jpg
    Kim's File 32s.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Kim's File 33s.jpg
    Kim's File 33s.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Kim's File 40s.jpg
    Kim's File 40s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,244

HDX

I bought the cab off #25 because we were doing a centermount truck and needed a good cab, I cut the off-set off the front and drilled out the rivits holding it all on an now its a centermount cab and after all that we didnt have to use it. However it will go onto a future project. When I bought it at Camp 8 there was no drivers door and the passenger door hinge was seized solid .You can see in the picture that an M&B door hinge was used to replace it and a Frank Beban Logging drivers door was mounted on the cab. Nobody seemed to know where the door went . As fate would have it we were down at the BCFP Shop at Gordon River many years later and there on a shelf in one of the outbuildings was a Hayes door all covered in about an inch of dust. As soon as I wiped it off there was ERT#25 on it and the brass ID Tag was still on it Now just how the hell it ended up on the other end of Vancouver Island is beyond me . Even Fred Janzen the shop foreman down there was astounded. He didnt even know it was there. goes to show ya that if you know what you are looking at things work out more often than not. The above picture was of ERT #7 after she hauled for a long time and then ERT took off the logging rigging and installed these rock box's that they bought down in Sarita from M&B on the Macks,4 of them I think got them.They were extending a bunch of their roads and mainlines. After much use like this the box's were removed and logging rigging put back on for the last time. They remained as logging trucks till the end then had the big Fire Tank's welded onto them. Of the 6 trucks 2 were sold to a Port Alberni company and 2 were cut up and the last 2 were sold off to contractors #7 was sold to Malibu Logging and that is who I bought what was left of her off of. The supercharged Cummins engine had been overreved and came unglued.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
In post #14 Hayes WHD unit #26 seems to have another water-/fuel tank compare to pic of her in post #15. She got a very high stick/rod at left side. I guess it must be for mirrors - just like HDX models.
HDX; was ERT #25 a WHD model as well?

HDX

Hayesno1 No #25 was an HDX. The picture of #26 with the mirror posts on there is because the original mirror brackets were the same as on #22. These were too light for what they were doing and over the years these would crack or get hit with a log of another truck going the other way and just became too much trouble to maintain so the mechanics stuck on the square tube posts and called them mirror brackets. Also note that the power steering tank has been moved to the drivers fender. And yes the water tank is different from original. When new the WHD's came with a 110 Gal independant fuel tank between the cab and the water tank. This fuel tank was taken off her before I got her and mounted on one of the HDX fire tankers.Remember she was on her way to the scrap bin when i got her so anything they could use was stripped off her If you go through your pics you will see it mounted on one of them, I will dig up the unit number. Anyway the original water tank was in very poor condition so I opted to replace it with a better one. The one I used was off an HDX with the fuel tank built into it. Actually it came off H317 When you look at it you can see where we cut the saddles off the back of it and it does not have a reach saddle on top for the reach to sit in. I have one but due to over height I chose not to install it yet.Soon we will get into how I came to inherit old #26.

HDX

The picture of #15 posting #15 first picture is probably the truck I would want to build if I was a model builder. It just looks so fantastic sitting there looking proud !!! That is for sure the true meaning of Heavy Duty. The Kenworth-- posting #14-- pic #4 is/was ERT #18 she came with a 6-110 GM engine and 47-40 rear diffs and 14:00X24 tires just like the 4 HD Hayes's #14--#15--#16-and #17