• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric fuel pump on CT332

bucketboy

Anybody know what pressure spec I should maintain to replace my manual lift pump
with an electric one. Looking at FACET electric diesel pumps. It seems that dear john deere
engineers did not want you to be able to replace manual pump, without pulling the damn
engine. Thanks.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Let me know how that works out. All I have ever got from aftermarket electric fuel pumps is pain. But I have not tried that particular model. But it looks like the rest of them with a different sticker. They usually work for a while and the cost is low. Sorry pumpguysc. I do respect your opinion on these matters. Have you had good success with these?

I use Isuzu 8971830130 instead. 200 plus dollars. But they seem to last forever. The only ones I buy are for units that need an electric pump added. I have never replaced a bad one.

mountainlake

Occupation
sawmill operator
Get a Carter rotary electric fuel pump, they last a long. The solenoid pulse type are junk. Steve

mountainlake

Occupation
sawmill operator
Keep in mind you need to mount it not much more than 1 foot above the bottom of the tank as they wont lift fuel much more than that. Steve

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I haven't tried it personally so I cant attest to its life.. I just threw it out there as an option.. so buyer beware.

mountainlake

Occupation
sawmill operator
On my sawmill the pulse type lasted about 3 months, 3 different ones. The Carter rotary has been going for 8 years now. Steve

bucketboy

I ordered a carter P4070. I liked the fact that a bracket comes with it. The FACET pump looked to
big to mount inside the engine compartment. I will post when I get it installed on Friday to let yall
know how and if it works. Thanks to all for your input.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Let us know after it has a ton of hours on it. Hopefully this machine runs a lot of hours. If it works it will be a whole lot more affordable than that Isuzu pump.

bucketboy

Well I got the carter p4070 installed. Primed the filter and. tried to crank her up and ran the batt down. Pulled
the batt, put the charger on it, and went in the house frustrated because it wouldn't start. That night I started reviewing
some old postings that I had saved to my ct332 file, and there it was. A poster named rickiewilliams was trying to
explain to another poster to pinch off the return fuel line, because when the pump is pressuring up to injector pump,
without engine running, the fuel will simply take the path of least resistance and go back to the tank. That was exactly
what was happening with my machine. I pulled the return line at the tank, put a bolt to plug line, clamped it off, got
in the machine, cranked it over and it fired right up. I sure appreciate every ones input on this problem, as I am not
a diesel mech, and I heard how much of a pain it is to get them running again, especially when you run the injectors
dry, which I had no choice because when I sense trouble with the mach, I try to get the boom up past the boom lock
before it shuts off. Anyway, thanks to all. Here are the pic's where I mounted it. Note the mounting holes in the bracket
fit perfectly with the water/fuel separator mount. You just gave to mount it on the inside as indicated in the pic's. Also
the terminals suck big time just like the reviews say. I think that I will remove it and cut some treads on them to put
brass nuts to hold them on. You can see the gorilla tape that is holding them in place for the time being. The hot lead
is tied into the hot on the fuel solenoid. I don't know if that's ok to tie into it that way or not, but I'm not sure which
starter terminal I should attach to.
beast 002.JPG beast 005.JPG beast 006.JPG