• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Early 60's Bantam T-350.

bigshow

I have posted about this crane in the past but never any pictures, But before we get to that I will give you all a little history of this crane. In or around 1961 my good friend and neighbors father, Les Scudder, took a 1953 Reo 2 1/2 ton 6X6 out to the Bantam factory in Waverly, Iowa to have this T-350 mounted for my former employer Rollin Callahan. Rollin was the only owner of this machine until I bought and saved it from the scrap yard. Unfortunately all but the crane, head and base sections of boom, a grapple and a clam were the only things that didn't get scrapped. It had '75 worth of boom, a 12' 6" jib, pile leads, a few dragline buckets, hoe, shovel, and bolt on tracks. In its day it was a well set-up machine, I have been putting the pieces back together and have been all over the northeast getting the pieces, as far as New Hampshire for a 10' main section, head and base also. So enough of boring you folks with its history, and on to the pictures.

Scan.jpeg

Cab and chassis
Scan 2.jpeg
These 3 pictures are when it first came back, ironically, the field in the background is where our new home was built.
Scan 3.jpeg
Scan 4.jpg
Scan 5.jpg

Last edited:

bigshow

work and bantam hoe 022.JPG

These last two are from when I moved the crane without any boom attached, I did have the upper chained to the lower and was moving very cautiously on fairly flat ground. The swing brake was on and the chain mysteriously came free and it ever so slowly swung downhill, I did have to time run around and pull that outrigger beam out to prevent any more damage. 5 minutes with some blocking, a 2 legged chain and the 1085 and we were back in business.

048.JPG049.JPG

bigshow

If anyone can make the smaller pictures bigger, please do, I have spent an hour scanning and cropping and can't do any better, sorry.

Knocker of rock

If anyone can make the smaller pictures bigger, please do, I have spent an hour scanning and cropping and can't do any better, sorry.

They seem sized about right. In fact, you could even make them a smidge bigger if you arranged them all vertically.

Press enter between attachments, and they will go from this

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 7.14.04 AM.jpg

to this

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 7.15.07 AM.jpg

It's hard to see, but in the upper screen shot, the attachments are arranged horizontally. The browser will (or will try) to post these horizontally, wether you have one or fifty photographs. In the second screen shot, I have pressed "enter" between the screen shots, and they are now arranged vertically, which is a much better thing on almost all web pages.

As far as file size, most of us are given rigid choices by our software. There are custom options, but most of us will use what Mac or MSFT tells us to use. I think your photographs are sized just fine.

bigshow

I drove 1,100 miles one day to get this 20' jib and 10' straight section, and while shooting the breeze with the gentleman he mentioned he had an old Bantam dealership sign. Obviously had to have it, here it is, it lit right up too!

DSC00144.JPG
DSC00138.JPG
DSC00137.JPG

bigshow

An old friend with whom I used to work with happened to see me driving my Bantam down the road quite early this morning. The outfit we worked for in the past had sold out and he was given all the old shop manuals, this gentleman went home and got me a binder that is all of 4" thick filled with all kinds of Bantam paperwork, manuals, specs, Bantam KNOW HOW brochures. All kinds of awesomeness basically, so here are a few pages I scanned.
Scan 32.jpeg
Scan 41.jpeg
Scan 42.jpeg
Scan 40.jpeg
Scan 33.jpeg

BE&Bantam