• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

E35 hydraulic filter change - 50 hours

Clguest

While the hydraulic fluid and hydraulic filter are scheduled to be changed at 1000 hrs on the E35, after the first 50 hours and then every 500 hours the Hydraulic Filter and Case Drain Filter and Hyd Reservoir Breather cap are to be changed according to the schedule. So at 50 and 500 hours the hydraulic filter is scheduled for change; but NOT the oil. The filter is mounted below the hydraulic reservoir so when I unscrew it a bit, oil begins to drip around the seal, blub, blub, blub. So, it seems that the hydraulic oil needs first to be drained into a clean container, filter changed and the oil returned to the tank. Is the first 50 hour hydraulic filter change necessary or is this an out dated section of the service manual? If necessary, is the accepted shop practice to drain the hydraulic oil and then return it? Or simply to replace the drained oil at 50 hrs and 500 hrs even though it is not scheduled for change until 1000 hours? - No, I do not plan to change the breather cap at 50 hours even though it is included with the scheduled changes.

Delmer

Change the filter fast and top it up with new fluid?

Why not change the breather cap? are you going to try to clean it?

Clguest

At 50 hours I do not believe it needs to be changed. I will wait for the 500 hour service. I believe it was inadvertently included in the 50 hour change schedule.

Delmer

I see, I guess I can see the logic there, why would there be more dust in the first 50 hours than any other 50 hours.

Another hydraulic trick is to use a vacuum/shop vac to depressurize the hydraulic reservoir to avoid losing as much fluid when you need to open it up, but don't want to drain it. The reason you wouldn't want to drain the old and use new fluid, is the new fluid may have more dirt than the already run and filtered oil.

melli

While the hydraulic fluid and hydraulic filter are scheduled to be changed at 1000 hrs on the E35, after the first 50 hours and then every 500 hours the Hydraulic Filter and Case Drain Filter and Hyd Reservoir Breather cap are to be changed according to the schedule. So at 50 and 500 hours the hydraulic filter is scheduled for change; but NOT the oil. The filter is mounted below the hydraulic reservoir so when I unscrew it a bit, oil begins to drip around the seal, blub, blub, blub. So, it seems that the hydraulic oil needs first to be drained into a clean container, filter changed and the oil returned to the tank. Is the first 50 hour hydraulic filter change necessary or is this an out dated section of the service manual? If necessary, is the accepted shop practice to drain the hydraulic oil and then return it? Or simply to replace the drained oil at 50 hrs and 500 hrs even though it is not scheduled for change until 1000 hours? - No, I do not plan to change the breather cap at 50 hours even though it is included with the scheduled changes.

I would be changing the hyd oil if removing the filter requires emptying the tank. The reason I suspect is that break-in always gives one extra particulate matter in oil. Pump is breaking in, seals, etc, all give up something.
Personally, I change the hyd tank oil more than the filters...because one never gets all the hyd oil from just the tank.

OT - The breather cap has me curious...I may have an issue with my cap on my 331. It seems to create quite the vacuum after running, especially when hot. I can hear a hissing sound as tank pressure equalizes with outside air. Beginning to think it may be a problem with my machine getting hot...pump has to work extra hard to pull oil from a pressurized tank.
Has anyone cleaned a breather? If so how? Thanks.

Has anyone priced out a breathe cap...they can't be all that expensive. No idea why the OP would be required to change the breather cap so soon on maintenance schedule...sounds like a cash grab.