• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DT466 Start-up Problem

moosecountry

I recently purchased a '97 International 4700 with the dt466 engine.

When I first start the truck and it is cold, I let it warm up for at least a few minutes sometimes longer 10-15 minutes before I try to take off. When I first take off the truck can barely get out of it's own way. It won't rev up, just sort of stumbles and pour whitish smoke out the exhaust. After about 1/8 mile it will upshift and drive 100% normal the rest of the day.

The only problem I have with this, is that we have to pull up the the driveway out of the shop and onto the road, and the lack of power is causing problems for safely being able to get onto the road.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Does it help to start the truck and let it warm up for a bit? Is it a 466, or a 466E?

moosecountry

It's a DT466. I've let it idle as long as 15 minutes before taking off, it didn't seem to make any difference.

Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You may have some injector nozzles that are getting a bit tired, spraying a poor fuel pattern while running during warm up and causing cylinder to load up with unburned fuel. The DT466 is bad about being a nasty, white smoking engine when cold, but clears out a bit when warmed up. Aside from going through your injectors, doing compression tests, and all the diagnostic stuff, you might try letting the engine warm up, then mashing the throttle pedal and sticking it on governor. Let it sit on governor for a few moments and clear out, then see how it takes the hill out of driveway. Thing is, your going to make a cloud of white smoke doing this.

moosecountry

I am not even close to being capable of going through the injectors, doing compression checks etc on this engine. Is this necessary, or should I just live with it?

Basically that is all that it needs, is to "clear it's throat". Once I get on it when on the road, it is fine and no problems. Are there any fuel system or injector treatments that are any good? Seems they are all snake oil, and just a gimmick.

Is the cloud of white smoke anything to worry about?

Thanks, Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No worries moosecountry, the old 466, prior to evolving into the 466E, was a notorious engine for white smoking, especially cold, normal for these engines. I suggested "sticking it on the governor for a few moments" for just that, to clear it's throat. The cloud of white smoke is not a problem unless someone complains about it, it's just a normal thing with that engine. They are a dang good engine, but they do all share this problem. But if clearing it out and getting it up to operating temperature doesn't solve your problem, then you may have some poor injectors, or worse, poor compression on a few cylinders.

moosecountry

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Would the fact that it drives great once warmed up still indicate a possible injector problem or compression issue? Aside from the difficulty at start-up it drive great, and I am really happy with the truck.

Tim

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
My loader was doing that. Cracked head allowing coolant to drain into the combustion chamber. Same thing. Fine after it burned it all out, but tough on an engine. Will eventually ruin the piston and liner if that's what it is. Look for air bubbles in the coolant.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's hard for any of us to say moosecountry. Just like akroadrunner posted, there are a number of things that can affect engine performance. With the DT466, it's even tougher because those engines are bad about doing just what you describe with no internal problems. Only proper diagnostics, compression tests, coolant system pressure tests, and injector tests are capable of giving you more specific information.

cutting edge

Have you guys been introduced to the wonders of ultra low sulfur diesel down there yet?

If you are using ulsd,you may have some hanging up in the pump or nozzles when its cold.

Lucas and Stanadyne make good additives to restore the lubricity in the fuel that is lost in the sulfur removal process...give it a try.

moosecountry

We have had the 15ppm diesel for several years now.

I'll take a look at those products next time I stop at the parts store.

Thanks, Tim

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

I am an unbeliever when it comes to to magic bottles of stuff. However, last fall I went to a fuel pump shop to buy injectors for a 3 cylinder Kubota that was was running really nasty, smoking a lot, smelling of unburnt fuel etc. The owner of the shop talked me into trying the Stanadyne product before buying injectors. I have to say the stuff really made a huge difference after a half dozen tankfuls of fuel. This particular machine had been sitting for quite a while before I bought it.

moosecountry

I started the truck tonight, and it immediately did the same think, stumbled and missed and puked smoke out of it. So I let it idle in the dooryard for 30 minutes and then check it again. It rev'ed up smoothly without hesitation and no stumble.

I can live with letting it idle/warm up for half an hour every morning, but I would love to know exactly what is happening.

Thanks, Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you don't have equipment to do a compression test, which most folks don't, you could try having your injectors checked out at an injection shop and rebuild them if necessary. Those type of injectors are not terribly expensive to rebuild compared to newer electronic injectors.

moosecountry

I have everything imaginable to work on a gas engine, but no diesel tools!

I guess maybe for piece of mind, I'll make an appt. with the local truck shop, leave it over night for them, and get a diagnosis.

Thanks, Tim