• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driveline removal

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I've heard that tow truck drivers us a blunt air chisel to take apart u-joints when dropping a drive line. Just wondering if someone could explain how they do it?

Thanks,
Rob

blinkerfluid

I've never heard of that. Most of the trucks that come in on the hook have the straps pulled and they pull the rear part of the drive-line out of the split shaft.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
You would be lucky to find a guy willing to do it down here unfortunately they have no pride they just hook and go

FSERVICE

round here if they don't pull the straps. (most common practice here) they have a puller that removes the caps from the yolk if need be. that said "poor people have poor ways" also it would work in a pinch;)

johndeere123

I use a small hydraulic jack and a hammer if I cant fit the puller in, or don't have it with me. Or a pry bar and a hammer.