• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drive chain 1845 case uniloader

CASE1234

was operating y 1845 case skidsteer today and the front left drive chain broke. I believe its a no 80 chain. can some one tell me where a good place to buy one at a decent price. . couldn't find any on ebay. I think the part number is 63143 I think. all help appreciated. thanks norm

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Are there any industrial supply houses near you? Might even find something at a place like Tractor Supply or someplace that deals in farm equipment. There are different grades of chain just like there are when talking about bolts.

You could always find the closest Case dealer and just buy an OEM chain but my first choice would be an industrial supply house. If we knew the closest big city or town might be able to point you in the right direction. A little information on sizes of roller chains:

Attachments

• Roller Chain.pdf
    160.6 KB · Views: 13

apm

was operating y 1845 case skidsteer today and the front left drive chain broke. I believe its a no 80 chain. can some one tell me where a good place to buy one at a decent price. . couldn't find any on ebay. I think the part number is 63143 I think. all help appreciated. thanks norm

I've got an 1845B. When my drive chain broke, I ordered new from McMaster Carr. It is #80. Count the links on your old one, the number of links is mentioned in the parts manual, too. Cut the new chain to fit and your back in business. Be sure and order the master link. OEM chains don't have master links.

Greg

CASE1234

I managed to get my chain back on but its fairly tight. looks as though I have a link broke. I looked on McMaster carr and saw the no 80 chain on there. my parts book doesn't list the number of links. I do have new master links for it. wondered if I should just order a new link or a complete chain. what do you think. thanks norm

kshansen

Occupation
I managed to get my chain back on but its fairly tight. looks as though I have a link broke. I looked on McMaster carr and saw the no 80 chain on there. my parts book doesn't list the number of links. I do have new master links for it. wondered if I should just order a new link or a complete chain. what do you think. thanks norm

Not sure where you looked on McMaster Carr but it's there:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=16g8g8s

Fixing with a new master link will work, at least for now, but remember that chain has been stressed over it's whole length and the "weakest link" failed so now the second weakest link will be next inline.

Do you know how to adjust the tension on the chains?

Edit: Not sure why the link to the chain does not go right to the chain page. But when first page opens click on the "Roller Chain and Links" then at the next page click on the "ANSI Roller Chain and Links" that will give a list of all the chain sizes. Scroll down the page and it will show the "Heavy Duty Chain" which should be what I would go for for a skid-steer. 80H, sold by the foot. Just measure yours and go from there.

Last edited:

CASE1234

Not sure where you looked on McMaster Carr but it's there:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=16g8g8s

Fixing with a new master link will work, at least for now, but remember that chain has been stressed over it's whole length and the "weakest link" failed so now the second weakest link will be next inline.

Do you know how to adjust the tension on the chains?

Edit: Not sure why the link to the chain does not go right to the chain page. But when first page opens click on the "Roller Chain and Links" then at the next page click on the "ANSI Roller Chain and Links" that will give a list of all the chain sizes. Scroll down the page and it will show the "Heavy Duty Chain" which should be what I would go for for a skid-steer. 80H, sold by the foot. Just measure yours and go from there.
i think your comment about weak links is probably correct. I am going to take it back off. afraid its to tight like it is. suppose to be an inch or so flop but I don't have 1/8 inch. didn't know which ASI you used but heavy duty would seem right. do you remember how long yours was and how many links yours is. my parts book tells me it is an 80 but doesn't say how many links there are. i do have a service manual for it. thanks norm

kshansen

Occupation
i think your comment about weak links is probably correct. I am going to take it back off. afraid its to tight like it is. suppose to be an inch or so flop but I don't have 1/8 inch. didn't know which ASI you used but heavy duty would seem right. do you remember how long yours was and how many links yours is. my parts book tells me it is an 80 but doesn't say how many links there are. i do have a service manual for it. thanks norm

Sorry but I retired from the quarry about two years ago so don't have access to the machine there. I'd just take yours out and measure it. It does sound strange that it is too tight after installing a new repair link. I'd be checking the chain box real close to see if there is another loose link in there, but it would have to have been very loose to have enough slack to reconnect with a link missing!

When I replaced a chain I would just count the number of links and then replace with the same number of links in the new chain and adjust for a little play in the chain.

I would also suggest checking all the other chains to make sure none are too tight or too loose, there are six chains in total. One for each wheel and one for the drive motor on each side. The chains to each wheel are the most common to fail. Seems like the drive motor chains are maybe the next size smaller.

CASE1234

Sorry but I retired from the quarry about two years ago so don't have access to the machine there. I'd just take yours out and measure it. It does sound strange that it is too tight after installing a new repair link. I'd be checking the chain box real close to see if there is another loose link in there, but it would have to have been very loose to have enough slack to reconnect with a link missing!

When I replaced a chain I would just count the number of links and then replace with the same number of links in the new chain and adjust for a little play in the chain.

I would also suggest checking all the other chains to make sure none are too tight or too loose, there are six chains in total. One for each wheel and one for the drive motor on each side. The chains to each wheel are the most common to fail. Seems like the drive motor chains are maybe the next size smaller.
I didn't actually install a new link just got a master link. I found a chain on the net. 63 links long witch I think is right. ordered it so ill see next week when I get it. just afraid to operate much with the old chain as tight as it was as there was not adjustment at all and the chain was pretty tight. the other drive chain has a 1 1/2 flop in it . I had a seal go bad on the front left awhile back. took it apart and replaced the bearings and seal. remembering back I did notice the last link had a lot of slop in it. guess I should have paid closer attention to it. lessons to learn I guess. thanks norm

CASE1234

Put a new chain on yesterday. they said it was 63 links but I only counted 62 but it went on fine with plenty of adjustment. Both chains on that side are evenly adjusted where both wheels works together. my old chain only has 61 links plus one of the end links is pretty bad. so it seems to be working okay now. another question is that it seems the right side is very noisy when operating. when traveling its pretty quiet. just when you put it under load. little diesel motor runs very well. carries 70lbs oil pressure and just runs in the warm when operating. Just not sure about the noise thing. is yours noisy or quiet all the time. thanks norm

apm

Put a new chain on yesterday. they said it was 63 links but I only counted 62 but it went on fine with plenty of adjustment. Both chains on that side are evenly adjusted where both wheels works together. my old chain only has 61 links plus one of the end links is pretty bad. so it seems to be working okay now. another question is that it seems the right side is very noisy when operating. when traveling its pretty quiet. just when you put it under load. little diesel motor runs very well. carries 70lbs oil pressure and just runs in the warm when operating. Just not sure about the noise thing. is yours noisy or quiet all the time. thanks norm
I don't know which 1845 you've got. Mine is an 1845B. The hydraulics are very loud. Loud enough that when I bought it, I was afraid something was wrong with it. It is much louder under load. The guy I bought it from said it had been that way since new. I've read later, several other comments about noisy hydraulics on 1845B's. I've put hundreds of hours on it since purchasing it, and noticed no bad effect, just have gotten used to the noisy hydraulics.

CASE1234

Mine is just a 1845. that's what confused me was its fairly quite until you load it up. When your transporter across the land its fairly quite. really sounds bad when your idling under load so I keep it reved up and it does sound better. Sounds like that's just the way it is. thanks norm